Driving tips for 6mt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Driving tips for 6mt

Well this is my first manual quick qustion . When I get on it going 2nd to 3rd the rear end usually kicks out for a second or two is that just because of the throttle input or what? Probably all o me just wondering ? Don't wana look like a fool at strip lol any tips thanks sorry if this seems like a dumb q lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Well this is my first manual quick qustion . When I get on it going 2nd to 3rd the rear end usually kicks out for a second or two is that just because of the throttle input or what? Probably all o me just wondering ? Don't wana look like a fool at strip lol any tips thanks sorry if this seems like a dumb q lol
You can baby the car so it doesn't do that but the real fix is going to be getting lower control arms and upper control arm and a pan hard bar and stiffen up the back end.

What you are describing is wheel hop.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yea it sounds like you're going a little to hard on the throttle coming off a shift. Alas, this is my first manual as well so maybe I just baby it too much going 0-60 haha. I get wheel hop when I hit small raised bumps in the road, kind of disturbing haha
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I disagree with nosypathy's post. Although those mods are great, what you're experiencing is nothing more than slight wheel spin. Cold climates, cold tires, and driver input are all contributing factors to this. Take it easy in seasonal weather, keep the nannies on, and be safe. You'll know wheel hop when you get it. This is not it. Good luck and be safe!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just remember: the throttle and brake are not toggle switches. Smooth inputs counts for a lot.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Is there a way to calculate how much more grip you get with good LCAs? Like If you have the stock 255 Pirellis, will they grip like 285s?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
I disagree with nosypathy's post. Although those mods are great, what you're experiencing is nothing more than slight wheel spin. Cold climates, cold tires, and driver input are all contributing factors to this. Take it easy in seasonal weather, keep the nannies on, and be safe. You'll know wheel hop when you get it. This is not it. Good luck and be safe!
Looking back I think I misread his post. I thought he was talking about the back end hopping but rereading it that doesn't seem to be the case. My bad
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya referring to the rear end sliding to the left in acceleration if I was at strip it would hit wall lol guess just have to learn
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Ya referring to the rear end sliding to the left in acceleration if I was at strip it would hit wall lol guess just have to learn
smozilla is correct tho, colder temps and such can cause this. I still have it happen when it is warm, but fixes for this for my understanding are stickier wider tires and still the UCA/LCA.

I currently have the all season pirellies and know if I went with some sticky summer tires this would go away.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I have all season hancocks only 245s all around so prob a cause as well . But tires don't make sense until spring

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT