Jacking up car - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlueGT View Post
Quick question, I've been told that jacking up a car and putting it on stands in the garage is dangerous because its slick concrete. Is this true?
probably less dangerous than my bumpy asphalt driveway. I think they sell rubber pads though meant for the jacks to sit on though don't they? I am pretty sure I saw them either at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Wouldn't the wood break? I'm no carpenter but I know what wood can do. That's not a good idea in my eyes. It it works for you great, but I have a 15 foot car lift
Wood is not going to break when it's stacked in layers on top of each other. Have you seen cars hit a tree that's no thicker then about 6 inches in width and completely destroy a car?
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

Wood is not going to break when it's stacked in layers on top of each other. Have you seen cars hit a tree that's no thicker then about 6 inches in width and completely destroy a car?
Yeah that's how roofs are supported in homes you have the wall then the 2x4 or whatever is needed then the roof. Ties it all in. I was thinking the classic single 2x6/8 and just snapping.

That's because trees don't move and the car is in motion so it will. Newtons laws. That's why I'm personally scared of those plastic ramps for cars. Plastic can snap in a heartbeat.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Yeah that's how roofs are supported in homes you have the wall then the 2x4 or whatever is needed then the roof. Ties it all in. I was thinking the classic single 2x6/8 and just snapping.

That's because trees don't move and the car is in motion so it will. Newtons laws. That's why I'm personally scared of those plastic ramps for cars. Plastic can snap in a heartbeat.
Wood stacked together from the floor to the car will never snap. That's why I said 2x12 so it's more then enough of a width to not worry about.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT