Jacking up car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Jacking up car

Yes I know where to put the jack . Lol simple qustion can I jack up 3 tires at once? Like I want to use jack stands for front 2 ( only have 2) then the jack that came with car for a rear side. I'm plasti dipping rims . Is that bad for suspension or will it be fine ? Thanks sorry if this is dumb but first time really working on own car and its new to me
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Just make sure the front is secure on the jack stands.

To answer your question, yes you can.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Yes I know where to put the jack . Lol simple qustion can I jack up 3 tires at once? Like I want to use jack stands for front 2 ( only have 2) then the jack that came with car for a rear side. I'm plasti dipping rims . Is that bad for suspension or will it be fine ? Thanks sorry if this is dumb but first time really working on own car and its new to me
Don't do that. Just do it in stages. And don't use the spare tire jack. Your just asking for trouble. Use a real 2 ton jack.

Just do 2 rims at a time or buy 2 more jack stands and do them all at once.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you shouldnt leave your car supported by just a jack in the rear, I would pick up two more jack stands (they are cheap)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Very unsafe, especially with the stock jack . You can get by doing that with a floor jack, but do not get under the car what so ever. Jack the back in the center lifting both tires.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah dude, you should buy two more jack stands.the scissor jack is very unsafe to use to support the vehicle.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well il just use floor jack to out 2 front tires on stand and do it that way. They are like 40 buck lol not cheap lol
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well il just use floor jack to out 2 front tires on stand and do it that way. They are like 40 buck lol not cheap lol
40?

Almost everywhere sells them for $25 for the pair of 3 ton jack stands

Harbor freight, advanced auto, auto zone, Walmart. Etc.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
cheaper than reconstructive surgery if a car falls on your face or a funeral regardless of what you do just keep it safe
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just in case, please have someone there to take pictures of the car on you......Oh something else..... then call 911.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

And don't use the spare tire jack. Your just asking for trouble. Use a real 2 ton jack.
+1 haha i destroyed my stock jack by trying to put my car on 4 stands yesterday... It was pretty stupid of me...
GrabberBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Very cute . Il just do two at a time just will take me longer no biggy just thought I'd ask
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm a noob...
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111
Haha. Very cute . Il just do two at a time just will take me longer no biggy just thought I'd ask
If you don't know, asking is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have a picture of where to place the jack . It's on frame right behind front tire jus Guna jack it up and put one side on stand then repeat . Just never worked on own car before and want to be careful . Rather not bend anything
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I have a picture of where to place the jack . It's on frame right behind front tire jus Guna jack it up and put one side on stand then repeat . Just never worked on own car before and want to be careful . Rather not bend anything
I really wouldn't do that, at all. Using the spare tire jack for this purpose. You are just asking to damage your car or yourself.

I would wait until you save up and buy a floor jack. You just got your car and you're just asking to damage it just to plasti dip your rims.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

1. I meant floor jack to jack up frame and use jack stands

2 why would they include the car jack if it would damage the car. I see no problem using the pinch point where the jack is supposed to go and jacking it up and placing a jack stand there . They included it to change tires so it must work .
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1. I meant floor jack to jack up frame and use jack stands

2 why would they include the car jack if it would damage the car. I see no problem using the pinch point where the jack is supposed to go and jacking it up and placing a jack stand there . They included it to change tires so it must work .
because using that jack is intended to get one corner of the car off the ground far enough to remove the wheel and put a spare on, not to jack the car fram up high enough to get jack stands under the car.

another member on here already tried that, poor guy, and the thing collapsed on him. Maybe you can ask him if it was made to do that. Thankfully he nor the car was injured.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Um I'm not raising my car 5 feet off ground jack up enough to slid jack in after tires off and done lol not arguing jus did it on my 05 when I had no floor jack and it lived. So u mean ya if I was jacking it high I'm sure jack would give way lol

So floor jack on the frame behind front tire is fine then put jack stand? And thanks guys don't wana hurt my baby lol or me but mostly her lol
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Why pay for jack stands? Buy some 2x12s and make your own ramps or stands. Use a floor jack to lift the front end and place them
Under then do the same to the rear. 30 bucks or less with wood and nails and you can do better then a jack stand
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Why pay for jack stands? Buy some 2x12s and make your own ramps or stands. Use a floor jack to lift the front end and place them
Under then do the same to the rear. 30 bucks or less with wood and nails and you can do better then a jack stand
why do that when I can buy 2 3ton jack stands from harbor freight for 24.99?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well maybe in future I will but seeig how this is a one time thing il be cheap do 2 at a time lol
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't do that. Just do it in stages. And don't use the spare tire jack. Your just asking for trouble. Use a real 2 ton jack.

Just do 2 rims at a time or buy 2 more jack stands and do them all at once.
I can back you on tht claim. I was at my gf house and her dad being a car guy I figured he would have a 2-Ton laying around. Wrong. I use the spare jack and pop it went and down went the back of my car. My laziness to drive 20 minutes across town about cost me a rear end.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

What I did when dipping and taking my exhaust out was jack the rear end up and put jack stands on it. Then as a safety I put the jack on the differential and pumped till it has some tension. Idk how you guys jack the front up though. I used another jack for each side at a time. That center plastic piece screws me up Everytime.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I can back you on tht claim. I was at my gf house and her dad being a car guy I figured he would have a 2-Ton laying around. Wrong. I use the spare jack and pop it went and down went the back of my car. My laziness to drive 20 minutes across town about cost me a rear end.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

What I did when dipping and taking my exhaust out was jack the rear end up and put jack stands on it. Then as a safety I put the jack on the differential and pumped till it has some tension. Idk how you guys jack the front up though. I used another jack for each side at a time. That center plastic piece screws me up Everytime.
Sounds like you do what I do. I always put the Jack under a supporting brace and put it up so it sit tight to that piece where I am working as a safety. Worth the extra few mins to do this that to A. Have the car crush you or if it doesn't crush you have your car get royally damaged. Specially when the car has some give when pushing and pulling against it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wouldn't the wood break? I'm no carpenter but I know what wood can do. That's not a good idea in my eyes. It it works for you great, but I have a 15 foot car lift
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

why do that when I can buy 2 3ton jack stands from harbor freight for 24.99?
Because jacks and stands can still fail. You build your own ramps\ jacks out of wood it's not going to fail as it can't fall. Could prob do that for less than 24. 1 2x12 should be enough ad that's like 8 bucks and like 10 nails that's another dollar or so.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because jacks and stands can still fail. You build your own ramps\ jacks out of wood it's not going to fail as it can't fall. Could prob do that for less than 24. 1 2x12 should be enough ad that's like 8 bucks and like 10 nails that's another dollar or so.
Well ramps I could see making out of wood, but I would trust some heavy duty steel jacks before hand made wood ones. Not that wood isn't strong, just for working the same way as a jack I don't see it being as strong.

I have ramps that support 6 tons that I use, but I will be making wood ramps soon as my car with the boss splitter and stock height barely goes up the ramps now, no way in hell will I get it up the ramps after she is lowered.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well ramps I could see making out of wood, but I would trust some heavy duty steel jacks before hand made wood ones. Not that wood isn't strong, just for working the same way as a jack I don't see it being as strong.

I have ramps that support 6 tons that I use, but I will be making wood ramps soon as my car with the boss splitter and stock height barely goes up the ramps now, no way in hell will I get it up the ramps after she is lowered.
As I said use a floor jack and jack both ends one at a time place a 2x12 that has the height that you want it to be eg 5 pieces cut a foot long stacked on top one another. That way it's more then secured and not going anywhere
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx

The op is wanting to remove his wheels.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

The op is wanting to remove his wheels.
Ya can be done out the wooden blocks under the axle on both ends I did that with my old
Mustang to get at the headlights for halo ones and had to take the wheels off
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Another thought is to use foundation blocks. And did your car seriously come with a jack, OP?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

There is always the chance of the car falling.

I had my old car fall off jack stands with no wheels on it...was not fun.
Our's:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Duralast/1 pair 2 Ton jack stand (80-503T) | | AutoZone.com
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quick question, I've been told that jacking up a car and putting it on stands in the garage is dangerous because its slick concrete. Is this true?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlueGT
Quick question, I've been told that jacking up a car and putting it on stands in the garage is dangerous because its slick concrete. Is this true?
Not any more dangerous than normal
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT