Not what i expected - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Not what i expected

First off im a newbie here, I hava a 2011 gt auto. My upgrades are, roush cai, boss intake, bbk 85mm throttle, 3.73 rear, dynatech long tubes, 3" collectors and x pipe with high flow cats w/ roush axle backs. Also it was tuned at a local speed shop using a Diablosport intune tuner. After all that the it was dynoed with only 376 rwhp and 325 tq. Im left with the feeling i should have a little more power. I understand its an auto but still shouldnt I be pushing a little more power? Any input appreciated.
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
What gas are you running? And what gas did they tune it for? That could be a possibility.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow that is extremely low. We're did u get it dynoed at? What's you're location
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 93 octane tune and only use mobile gas, and im in Milwaukee,WI

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

And I had it tuned at a place called west bend dyno tuning . They work more with gm cars but only place that I know of that tunes and dynos
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Somthing is horribly wrong I say just get a bama 93 tune
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wow that does seem kind of bad.

I have stock IM and Rush CAI and O/R X paired with a Bama canned hybrid tune and I pulled 411HP and 394Torque.

I would expect you pull better than that.

Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Somthing is horribly wrong I say just get a bama 93 tune
Agreed. I would bet a canned tune would far out perform a tune from a speed shop that doesn't work on ford cars.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I been reading a lot of good things about the bama tune and i was planing on selling my DiabloSport tuner and getting a sct tuner and replacing my roush cai for a jlt or steeda.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeC View Post
I been reading a lot of good things about the bama tune and i was planing on selling my DiabloSport tuner and getting a sct tuner and replacing my roush cai for a jlt or steeda.
Bama has great tunes! Plus if you buy from American Muscle, you get free tunes for life! Can't go wrong and the Steeda or Airraid CAI's are best. American muscle sells sets of tuners and CAI's. Also! I live here in Waukesha. There don't seem to be too many people from Wisconsin I've found here, but glad to run into someone else from the dairy state!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been nothing but happy with Bama. I've had a half dozen revised tunes from them.

You can get a street tune, performance tune, or race tune, or my favorite so far the Hybrid tune. Hybrid is just a mix of the race and street tunes combined.

I always get new tunes the next day and usually long before I need them.

I cannot really speak for the JLT or the Steeda other than I know I will be selling my roush CAI and buying a steeda. I purchased the roush before I got the tuner, hence why I didn't get the steeda at the time.

Live and learn right?

Althought I do believe you can keep the diablosport tuner with AM, you just have to buy their tunes for life for 150.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yikes,that's what my car pulled with a CAI and canned Bama tune. Definitely go a different route with the tune/tuner and don't worry bout swapping out the CAI. You will be wasting money if you do that because there will be no difference.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The guy i got my rims from said there is a insert in the roush cai that i should remove but what about the fact that it uses the factory tubing and it has baffles. Isnt the tubing larger on aftermarket cai that come with the tubing? And doesn't the baffles affect the air flow?. my old car was a 79 trans am im not used to all this tuning stuff yet!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If your wanting a dyno tune, Brenspeed in northern Indiana is def worth the drive.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Regular
Supporter

You can slap the old air box back on and it will be the same. It's already a CAI.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The guy i got my rims from said there is a insert in the roush cai that i should remove but what about the fact that it uses the factory tubing and it has baffles. Isnt the tubing larger on aftermarket cai that come with the tubing? And doesn't the baffles affect the air flow?. my old car was a 79 trans am im not used to all this tuning stuff yet!
insert in the roush cai...what? lol not so? it literally is how you installed it.

CAI hold a lot of arguments on here haha. Personally I want to get the steeda and run a dyno with the roush and then with the steeda. I have often wondered if the roush is worse than the stock box.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

insert in the roush cai...what? lol not so? it literally is how you installed it.

CAI hold a lot of arguments on here haha. Personally I want to get the steeda and run a dyno with the roush and then with the steeda. I have often wondered if the roush is worse than the stock box.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:

I see that! The roush cai and the mufflers were on the car when i bought it. Everything else i had done.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Will the stc or DiabloSport hold tunes from different "name brand tuners? can i have a bama and steeda tune on the same tuner?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will the stc or DiabloSport hold tunes from different "name brand tuners? can i have a bama and steeda tune on the same tuner?
I am not familiar with DiabloSport tuners but with SCT you can. The SCT tuner can hold 3 tunes at a time. So you could put a Steeda tune, Bama Tune, and a speed shop tune on their. You can custom label the tunes so you know which is which.

just keep in mind only 3, although I only have 2 I ever actually use, and one for play.

My SCT tuner always has a 93 Race, 93 Cam, and 93 Hybrid tune from Bama. But I could literally drive to brennspeed and have them tune my car and say take the 93 Cam tune off and put theirs in its place.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Doesn't diablo use bama tunes?

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Lookin at the in tune on American muscle says 3 free tunes from bama
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

They use both. But it seems the SCT devices are more popular.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I am not familiar with DiabloSport tuners but with SCT you can. The SCT tuner can hold 3 tunes at a time. So you could put a Steeda tune, Bama Tune, and a speed shop tune on their. You can custom label the tunes so you know which is which.

just keep in mind only 3, although I only have 2 I ever actually use, and one for play.

My SCT tuner always has a 93 Race, 93 Cam, and 93 Hybrid tune from Bama. But I could literally drive to brennspeed and have them tune my car and say take the 93 Cam tune off and put theirs in its place.
That's a big sellin point for me then. I thought it was just restricted to bama tunes. I think ill get a tuner now instead of the CAI as my first performance mod
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
That's a big sellin point for me then. I thought it was just restricted to bama tunes. I think ill get a tuner now instead of the CAI as my first performance mod
a lot of the canned tune companies and a lot of shops prefer SCT devices it seems. So you really shouldn't have any trouble getting what you want for the SCT tuner.

I just am not familiar with DiabloSport and it never seemed very popular until recently. I really hadn't even seen it mentioned much in our section until about a month ago, else wise everyone always has an SCT tuner.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
A dyno tune is only as good as the shop performing it. If they have no experience in tuning the new 5.0's then I would look elsewhere. As far as the numbers go it does seem low but what gear were the pulls made in? With the autos the most important aspect with the tune is actually the transmission, not the engine. That's what makes a significant difference. One reason Justin Starkey is so popular with VMP.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
A dyno tune is only as good as the shop performing it. If they have no experience in tuning the new 5.0's then I would look elsewhere. As far as the numbers go it does seem low but what gear were the pulls made in? With the autos the most important aspect with the tune is actually the transmission, not the engine. That's what makes a significant difference. One reason Justin Starkey is so popular with VMP.
I agree, there are no shops in my area that work on mustangs its seems to be all about gm around here. Not sure what gear it was tuned in i thought it was just put in gear and let it run through gears automatically until it redlined. Im really leaning towards a sct tuner with a bama tune then i will get it tuned and hope something changes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
All dyno's read different. Does the car feel strong?
Really the only way to tell is compare track times and trap speeds to other cars.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Really the only way to tell is compare track times and trap speeds to other cars.
Agreed but that is super duper low for those mods....extremely low. A canned tune is gonna be better than that.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
First off im a newbie here, I hava a 2011 gt auto. My upgrades are, roush cai, boss intake, bbk 85mm throttle, 3.73 rear, dynatech long tubes, 3" collectors and x pipe with high flow cats w/ roush axle backs. Also it was tuned at a local speed shop using a Diablosport intune tuner. After all that the it was dynoed with only 376 rwhp and 325 tq. Im left with the feeling i should have a little more power. I understand its an auto but still shouldnt I be pushing a little more power? Any input appreciated.
Wow that is extremely low. At the local shop, kurgan motorsports, a 2011 with full exhaust & CAI only put down 425rwhp with a custom dyno tune from bob. Check out kurgan motorsports Facebook it's right there, I personally don't k ow how but maybe it's a factory freak
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Wow that is extremely low. At the local shop, kurgan motorsports, a 2011 with full exhaust & CAI only put down 425rwhp with a custom dyno tune from bob. Check out kurgan motorsports Facebook it's right there, I personally don't k ow how but maybe it's a factory freak
I have cat delete x pipes and roush cai and Bama hybrid tune and put down 411rwhp. If that car has LT headers I can see that 15hp jump over me.

so wouldn't say it is a factory freak at all.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I thought that seemed a little high but ya after thinking about most full bolt on 5.0's are making around 450rwhp so I guess your right
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I tried racing a Subaru wrx and i was embarrassed. my 79 trans am felt like it had more power. Can i get a cam tune for an auto? Thought that was manuals only
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've got the 93p tune on my 5.0 auto w exhaust, intake and I love it! My only thing is their anyway I can email for new tunes and have them set the redline lower? It'll hit 7 grand now if I completely mat it and don't let out and I'm wondering if it would hurt for it to be set to like 6400
BigHead2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I tried racing a Subaru wrx and i was embarrassed. my 79 trans am felt like it had more power. Can i get a cam tune for an auto? Thought that was manuals only
I also took it to a different shop to have some pulls and same numbers. It was an import shop but they were still willing to put my car on the dyno
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Did you happen to take a baseline run before mods?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Did you happen to take a baseline run before mods?
I did not ..if i was smart i would have.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just a quick search bu I might take the car here

http://www.doneriteautomotive.com/. If that doesn't workout I would take a road trip to a mustang shop. Good luck with the car
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I personally use the intune, not sure if people realize this, but you're not restricted to how many tunes it can hold, I believe it's a 1 or 2 GB hard drive. So it can hold a lot more which is why they can make a tuner for all the supported vehicles so far, my 13 GT was the test vehicle for them and as I upgrade my car they tweak their tunes to provide more offerings and they all come standards with free upgrades for life which is a really cool thing too!
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT