2013 GT proper break in - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2013 GT proper break in

Does anyone have information on the breakin procedure for the motor on a 2013 GT
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Break in periods are a matter of opinion. A lot of old school guys will tell you to drive it like you stole it and some will say give her 500+ before you beat on her. I had fun with mine from day one (haven't hit 6k yet in 2yrs) and haven't had any issues.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdgardner1 View Post
Does anyone have information on the breakin procedure for the motor on a 2013 GT
A motor is a motor. Doesn't matter what the make is. Break in is all the same. Mines been raced every km I have on it. It's at 37000 km and mines a 2012. Did the same with my 07 v6 mustang. Engine lasted over 300.000 km before I sold it. Same thing with that one. Raced all the way. Just keep regular an proper maintenance. I read a topic about engine break in and one guy was talking about if you don't go hard the solves don't break in properly etc and theories of hair hammering on it for like 10 seconds and then coast etc doing that back ad fourth for a few thousand Kms. I don't think There's a true engine break in method besides maybe putting it on a engine dyno ad breaking it in that way but noone does that unless your doing dragsters etc
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would say that it really depends on how you plan on driving your card. If your not a serious racer, or plan on beating Cameros from light to light. Then just drive the damn thing. I do know that if you all soft with it, and then try to run it hard your going to see some failure occur. However it's like being out of shape and trying to go run the Boston Marathon at a world class pace. When I got my 08 in Germany I was on the Autobahun burning it up from day one, and going to the Nurnburgring and still able to drive normal, but that's becasue The speed limit was a lot higher for daily commute. SinceI have been back in the states, I don't drive 90 every day so my car is really good a cruising and fule use. However guys that never Ran thier Stangs would come to germany and try to run 90+ daily and they would blow up thier cars becasue they were not driven this way previously. So it's a combination of Care care and driving habits, but I'd say most people don't buy mustangs to look at them in the driveway, they buy them to cure the need for speed.
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The engine is already broken in before it hits the dealers lot. If you have a manual then you could go easy on the clutch but I wouldn't worry about it. I drove mine hard from the get go and it was tuned and at the track with a couple of hundred miles on it.

You do know that there is information in your owners manual you could read.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Cool, thanks everyone for all the replies.
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Your manual says not to go WOT for the first 500 miles and to not drive at a constant speed for the first 1K IIRC. Lots o good info in there. Recommended reading.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Your manual says not to go WOT for the first 500 miles and to not drive at a constant speed for the first 1K IIRC. Lots o good info in there. Recommended reading.
Just picked up mine yesterday and have a whopping 17 miles on it currently, I have to give it a read to see what I should/shouldn't be doing.
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
This will differ because everyone says different. Im gonna speak from my own experiences so what works for me and the type of cars ive had may not work for you. A previous car i had i broke it in easy. Because of that when i went to the dyno with i/h/e and tune i was making the same power as a guy that had the same year make and model as me but his was stock. Granted i didnt have a great header but it was a header. I found that an easy break in robbed hp. Hell, after i put on a stage 2 competition clutch, i was literally powershifting on the way home. Never had any problems either. I am just the type of guy that says screw it, if its gonna break its gonna break whether im easy on it or not. Im gonna be hard on it eventually so who cares. So might as well have fun breaking ish.

So now i believe in hard break ins. Besides what the manual says, the dealer doesnt have to know how you broke in the car. There is a warranty for a reason. Drive that wild stallion like a madman and if it breaks, let ford deal with it providing it happens under warranty. Im sure if it was to break it would be within the 3/36.

The dealer where i purchased mine told me there isnt a break in period so if i have problems and they tell me the motor wasnt broken in properly, im holding the salesman to his word.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
The dealer where i purchased mine told me there isnt a break in period so if i have problems and they tell me the motor wasnt broken in properly, im holding the salesman to his word.
I hope you got that in writing.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
I hope you got that in writing.
No i didnt, i should have.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT