What does/doesnt void warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What does/doesnt void warranty

I was thinking about buying a Barton short throw shifter but am worried about voiding the warranty and If something happens down the road I don't want to be screwed. So does anyone know what exactly voids the warranty. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
I was thinking about buying a Barton short throw shifter but am worried about voiding the warranty and If something happens down the road I don't want to be screwed. So does anyone know what exactly voids the warranty. Thanks
If you take it to the dealer because ur tranny or drive train when out then it will void the entire power train warranty, just if u have any problems remove it first. I was told this by my local dealer.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
The dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem.
Wrong, you will never win that battle.
It is safer to not put it or just have it remove before taking it in.
My friend got his warranty void because he made a claim for a new tranny and they said that he was racing the car at WOT so it was void.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Wrong, you will never win that battle.
It is safer to not put it or just have it remove before taking it in.
My friend got his warranty void because he made a claim for a new tranny and they said that he was racing the car at WOT so it was void.
I was a service advisor for 4 years they have to prove that the part was the cause of the failure. Idk what the whole story was with your buddy but the dealer probably had good reason to void the warranty. You have to remember dealerships make money off of doing warranty work. That's we're they make most of their money from.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Just remove it and save yourself the headache.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just don't mod if you care about the warranty in all honesty. I mean I don't want something in my car to break then be replaced with the same part that just broke I want to replace it with a better part.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If ur not confident on doing your own work, then i would get it professionally installed. I would pay those extra bucks and know it was done right than install it myself and have problems down the road where I run the risk when doing a claim. Any modification to the vehicle run a risk of warranty. But honestly if u made a decision to modify then u made a decision to risk ur warranty. If ur worried about warranty then leave it stock.
Mo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hmmm so is that a no go on the short throw shifter?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0
Hmmm so is that a no go on the short throw shifter?
Your warranty, you make the call. As for me, I'll wait the 3yrs out to mod.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Safer than sorry, personally I think it's worth the risk. It's not like your using boost or changing out the heads or cams. Just my 2Cents.
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimindtricks View Post
Safer than sorry, personally I think it's worth the risk. It's not like your using boost or changing out the heads or cams. Just my 2Cents.
It depends on what you want and do with the car. If you dont race it, its already fast and fun. If you track weekly car the suspension tires and gearing is a must.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
This is correct, now unfortunately sometimes it comes down to the interpretation the tech has on the part/installation/what caused failure, other times dealers may tell you up front your warranty is void because they do not feel like coming behind you and fixing your mistakes, I know first hand it's a PITA.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would just ask your dealer and service advisor. Some dealers may and some may not.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Plenty of people have had warranty work done who have installed shifters.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Kind of a little off subject but I just bought my brand new 2013 GT on Sat and mine came with a 5 year 60,000 power train, I have heard and read from various places ppl only getting 3/36 so I was just curious and I didn't pay anything extra just straight factory warranty.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

What I meant in the last post about being off subject was I didn't have any input on the original question. Just wanted to apologize for posting another question on the thread. But hope u get your answer about warranties, good luck.
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my car used and I still got the 3yr 30k basic and a 5 yr 60k power train as far as I know they all have that warranty
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Right on
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Plenty of people have had warranty work done who have installed shifters.
...and plenty of people have gotten grief trying to get warranty work done with any changes from factory. This argument makes no sense; as if a certain number of people having success with warranty work with aftermarket parts makes it even remotely certain you'd have the same success.

When my MT82 imploded at about 1500 miles from new, I pulled the Steeda shifter bracket in there but, left the AM shift knob on. Got grief for having an "aftermarket shifter". These are Ford techs and they couldn't tell what heir own factory's shifter looked like.

It was eventually resolved to my satisfaction but that one thing caused a meeting in itself.

So, take you aftermarket **** out before you plan on any form of warranty-related claim. Period. Laws favour only those who can afford to fight out a legal battle.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My dealership is of the mind, your aftermarket piece doesn't cause the problem, remove it and put it back to stock and well take care of it.

Just depends on the dealership. I actually have two like that. One of them the service department is run by a friends brother. He is pro modding 100%.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I say do it an if u have problems just put the stock shifter back in
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
I have the Barton in my car and I love it. I had a buddy who put a hurst in his 13 gt and I had him try out my car and now he want to pull out his hurst and buy him self a Barton.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Threw away my stock shifter... Was worth its weight in dog crap.
Kinda regret it, but I'll fight tooth and nail if the issue wasn't legitimately caused by my MGW.
Anything it could f up would be relatively cheap. I cannot see how it would blow a tranny. Anyone here ever hear of something like this or have any insight as to how this would be possible?

I'm f'd anyway... Guess I should just go hog wild and get that vortech
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I know of one denied a transmission under warranty. He couldn't be convinced to put the stock one back in before going into the dealer and they refused to fix his transmission.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

When a dealer sees an aftermarket shifter all they see is racing in there eyes... Just like any other performance mod
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
When a dealer sees an aftermarket shifter all they see is racing in there eyes... Just like any other performance mod
Your right 100%. The Atlanta dealers tried and void my power train warranty for lca's because "they are used specifically for drag racing" so no doubt the would do the same for a shifter
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

Your right 100%. The Atlanta dealers tried and void my power train warranty for lca's because "they are used specifically for drag racing" so no doubt the would do the same for a shifter
Buy a performance car, only expected to baby it on the streets. Purely logical.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

What always got to me was the orginal 5.0 coyote commercial had a cgi mustang doing burnouts and donuts and drifting lol and they expect u tp baby it when there adverting what it can do... Why didnt the use a real GT
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
+1
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
What always got to me was the orginal 5.0 coyote commercial had a cgi mustang doing burnouts and donuts and drifting lol and they expect u tp baby it when there adverting what it can do... Why didnt the use a real GT
Dealers get away with to much. Before I bought mine I tested a new convertible, it had 800+ Kms on it and the salesman said everyone just test drives it and bags it. I feel sorry for whoever buys it because the dealer allowed customers to do that when their intention isn't to buy it and just see what it's like. I don't get why a dealer would care about minor mods. If anything goes wrong they make money from the warranty work. I can't see how stuff that actually helps improve the vehicle itself eg methanol cooling or better drive shafts that are lighter and have less of a chance to fail etc to void the warranty. I truly think that to be able to keep warranty it should just be installed by a ford tech. I don't mind paying that rate to keep my warranty to be honest.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My truck had 2 coil plugs that went bad, I went to my hometown dealership had them fixed, less than 6 months later. My same plugs were bad, looked on my paper work and they wrote down wrong plugs they fixed in details paragraph.
So I took my truck closest ford dealer.
They refused to do warranty work on it because the other dealer made paperwork mistake. The only thing they did was put computer to it.
And by the grace of god, the technician also thought it was unfair, so he took the bad plugs out, where it was reachable by hand for me. So I wouldn't have to take whole manifold apart.
He saved me some $700.
Praise the lord!!
There's some honesty people out there, that like doing the right thing.
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to get 3.73s installed by techs before the car leaves the lot without voiding the warranty?
Dloza05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloza05 View Post
Is it possible to get 3.73s installed by techs before the car leaves the lot without voiding the warranty?
Don't know about your dealer, mine warrantied my differential/ring and pinion a few months after buying it. Long as its ford products and ford labor, you should be good. Get with you service manager.
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Be prepped for an ungodly charge. I checked 2 dealerships who wanted 1200 plus tax for everything. Local shop did it for 550 for everything including drop parts and found that my ford dealer didn't care because of who the shop is and their reputation.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It all depends on your dealer. When I was buying my car, my dealer was very accommodating. I had specific options that I wanted, and they told me if I couldn't find what options I wanted on a specific car, they would have them installed at the factory option cost. I don't remember what the 3.73 gears cost as an option from the factory, but they would've installed them at that cost, including the parts and labor.

Luckily I found the exact color and options I wanted, and they brought me that car over. Only thing it didn't have was the Shelby stripes, and the dealer split the cost with me on that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT