Everyday Driver: Turbo or Centrifugal Supercharger? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've run and built every power adder there is. I'm not talking out of my ***.

Centri is very DD friendly. You don't make + boost unless you load the engine. A low power kit on stock injectors and you can match stock fuel economy easily. Pick the right size head unit and step-up ratio and you can have a very punchy car. This is the best balance of fun, ease of install and use and long-term durability out there, bar none.

Twin turbo sounds good until you start subjecting everything under the hood to the heat coming off miles of hot side pipe work. Electronic, rubber and plastic things underhood are not made for this and no matter what coating, wrap, WHY you use, they are taking a beating from this over time. This will cause durability and reliability issues over the long haul. There's a reason factory turbo cars have more heat shielding than the space shuttle. Add a million clamps and joins subjected to some real extremes and you have a recipe for frustration.

Nitrous negatives are you're constantly chasing filling the bottle and for it to work, you're always tweaking on bottle pressure issues. However, it makes the most bang for the least bucks of anything out there. It's absolutely hilarious but, best suited to track use.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's absolutely hilarious but, best suited to track use.
Oh, I see what you did there. No pun intended, right. Lol

For all you guys somewhat new to the forum, the ones who ask the questions that have been answered a 1000 times, 5LHO is more than correct. This guy is well versed and can learn you something. By far one of the best technical contributors to the site.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #38
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

Oh, I see what you did there. No pun intended, right. Lol

For all you guys somewhat new to the forum, the ones who ask the questions that have been answered a 1000 times, 5LHO is more than correct. This guy is well versed and can learn you something. By far one if the best technical contributors to the site.
^ this

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Yes f1 now they have the onboard adjustable boost control. Look in their website it is bad a$$
That's the Procharger I-1!!! Bad *** supercharger!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post
Either Paxton or twin turbo... I say twin just bc it's that much more badass. Paxton is capable of 1000hp as well as the twin turbo. Both are great options, just depends how much money you wanna spend. Simply said, Paxton is the best bang for your buck but def doesn't sell itself short by any means just bc it's cheaper and more easily maintained. I have a Paxton and love it, Awesome highway car! Paxton installed and everything would cost no more then 6k, twin obviously more around 8-9. Single turbo close to 6k.
Are you on stock clutch? How did you get the paxton installed for 6k? I see on their site it sells for 6k
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, folks. I'm just speaking from my experience over the last 30 years or so of hotrodding cars and bikes.

Honestly, I've set some real limits on what I'm going to do with this car. I need zero impact on DD/warranty while I'm paying for this car and I still want to track it without getting booted for no cage. So, blowers, nitrous etc. are out and traction aids are in. I'm thinking I can shove this car into the 11s on a real slick, with just a Procal tune and arms out back. That'll do. I have a drag bike if I really want to go stupid fast.

Knowing when to say when and making the most of what I own already have been the toughest lessons to learn over the years.

Much as I loved the turbo and nitrous cars I've owned or built over the years, the centri blower on a V8 was the most all-around fun of all of the power adders. I wouldn't hesitate if that was my goal with this car and I had the same expectations as the OP, which I would.

PD blowers are fun too. That's one I haven't tried but, it looks like it'd be a riot on a street car.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Based on my past experiences, i would go supercharger. Turbo car and a supercharger car are 2 very different fun factors. Turbos have to spool up although they spool much faster now than before but still need to be spooled up to get to max power. A supercharger is instant power. I had a 2007 civic si supercharged and aftercooled. And lots more. It put down 328whp on almost 11psi on a dynojet. Max tq was at 3500 and stayed max tq all the way to 8600 rev limiter. I made max boost at 4k rpms and it just kept making power all the way to the 8600 redline. It had that slam you in the seat feeling taking away your breath and smooshing your facecheeks. It was so fun. I ran 12.81@113.55mph on street tires with it too. Ran 12.8 consistently.

My friend had a turbo honda making the same power and the 2 cars drove very differently. The turbo car slowly pins you in the seat and the blower just slams you in the seat. We raced from a 2nd gear 40 roll. He was brake boosting also. I instantly pulled 2 cars on him and stayed ahead until he realized he was done for. He also was on radials and weighing 800lbs lighter than me. I had street tires.

So for me its supercharger all day hands down. Turbos can make waay more power but then you are always tuning, breaking, fixing them. Superchargers are just a cheaper form of fun but more reliable for a daily driver. Turbos are just too tempermental for me to get. Ive had turbo cars in the past but they were old turbo cars. 1990 and 1991 eclipse and talon awd turbos. Both always broke on me. Turbos, tranny, motor always went out. Now today turbos have come a long way, but i think the blower is more fun safely on the motor and reliable too. Others may disagree, but im talking from my experiences.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, folks. I'm just speaking from my experience over the last 30 years or so of hotrodding cars and bikes.

Honestly, I've set some real limits on what I'm going to do with this car. I need zero impact on DD/warranty while I'm paying for this car and I still want to track it without getting booted for no cage. So, blowers, nitrous etc. are out and traction aids are in. I'm thinking I can shove this car into the 11s on a real slick, with just a Procal tune and arms out back. That'll do. I have a drag bike if I really want to go stupid fast.

Knowing when to say when and making the most of what I own already have been the toughest lessons to learn over the years.

Much as I loved the turbo and nitrous cars I've owned or built over the years, the centri blower on a V8 was the most all-around fun of all of the power adders. I wouldn't hesitate if that was my goal with this car and I had the same expectations as the OP, which I would.

PD blowers are fun too. That's one I haven't tried but, it looks like it'd be a riot on a street car.
Thats exactly it, knowing when to say when. When i built my honda i was only gonna stay all motor, then got a ride in a supercharged one and instantly bought a blower. Said to myself 280whp is enough. Then another power adder came out and i spent more money. Said i was done then another power adder came out and spent more. Tried to stop buying parts but then more just came out and i said to myself, well ive gone this far whats a few hundred more so screw it, i spent more money. And that cycle just kept repeating itslef. Its a bad addiction and they should have help hotlines for people like that. Lol.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS

Are you on stock clutch? How did you get the paxton installed for 6k? I see on their site it sells for 6k
Yup, stock clutch holds more then what I'm running. Lethal performance has complete kit and free shipping if you talk to them, if it's not still offered. 5200 for the kit. Paid 800 for install.. Give or take a few dollars depending on who does your work it can't be more then 6200 complete. Complete cost for me was 6k and some change
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup, stock clutch holds more then what I'm running. Lethal performance has complete kit and free shipping if you talk to them, if it's not still offered. 5200 for the kit. Paid 800 for install.. Give or take a few dollars depending on who does your work it can't be more then 6200 complete. Complete cost for me was 6k and some change
Wow, that stock clutch is impressive. Ill check into that thanks.how muchwhp are you making?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow, that stock clutch is impressive. Ill check into that thanks.how muchwhp are you making?
559whp 463tq right now. That's with Paxton's tune and stock everything else except axel backs which don't do anything anyway. The tune sent from them is for a stock 5.0 with just the kit installed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
559whp 463tq right now. That's with Paxton's tune and stock everything else except axel backs which don't do anything anyway. The tune sent from them is for a stock 5.0 with just the kit installed.
I have the Paxton also. I don't DD it, but could easily. I'm also on the stock clutch making 622rwhp/466tq. I've had it for about 2500 miles now and the car is a beast and a blast to drive. When cruising it drives like stock. My brother in law and I installed it and total price was around $5600 which included ID1000 injectors, Vortech boost referenced BAP, and tune. The Paxton is the best bang for the buck IMO, but you really can't go wrong with any power adder.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370

I have the Paxton also. I don't DD it, but could easily. I'm also on the stock clutch making 622rwhp/466tq. I've had it for about 2500 miles now and the car is a beast and a blast to drive. When cruising it drives like stock. My brother in law and I installed it and total price was around $5600 which included ID1000 injectors, Vortech boost referenced BAP, and tune. The Paxton is the best bang for the buck IMO, but you really can't go wrong with any power adder.
Nice!! In retuning and getting 60
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is there any superchargers that would work with the boss302 intake manifold?
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0

Nice!! In retuning and getting 60
Nice! I'm getting 60lb injectors next and retuning with CAI And offload exhaust along with the BAP. When I bought the kit there wasnt many options unless I went custom. Now JPC has nasty full kits

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00
Is there any superchargers that would work with the boss302 intake manifold?
Centris work real well with boss manifold bc of higher redline. All do though, just all in the tune and how long you stay in the power RPM wise
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dam thats pretty stout for 6k. Whats your traction like?

And whats BAP
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice! I'm getting 60lb injectors next and retuning with CAI And offload exhaust along with the BAP. When I bought the kit there wasnt many options unless I went custom. Now JPC has nasty full kits

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Centris work real well with boss manifold bc of higher redline. All do though, just all in the tune and how long you stay in the power RPM wise
By work I mean fit. I looked at the Paxton ones and they don't look like they'll fit do the the angle of the 302 intake outlet. The stock manifolds are straight.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Can somebody explain to me what are the difference and cons and pros between the paxton and procharger? My local speed shop (mak performance) recommended me procharger, i dont know why
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00 View Post
By work I mean fit. I looked at the Paxton ones and they don't look like they'll fit do the the angle of the 302 intake outlet. The stock manifolds are straight.
Here's my setup. The Boss intake works great with the Paxton or any centri.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370 View Post

Here's my setup. The Boss intake works great with the Paxton or any centri.
Awesome! Did you have to buy the vortec 302 intake manifold adapter? Also did you get the tuner kit or complete package. Trying to figure out what they mean fuel management not included on the tuner kit. Thinking they just mean no tune or tuner but wasn't sure if it meant no upgraded fuel injectors or something.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

And whats BAP
BAP = Boost A Pump. It increases the voltage to the stock fuel pump which increases the output.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Awesome! Did you have to buy the vortec 302 intake manifold adapter? Also did you get the tuner kit or complete package. Trying to figure out what they mean fuel management not included on the tuner kit. Thinking they just mean no tune or tuner but wasn't sure if it meant no upgraded fuel injectors or something.
Tuner kit = No tuner, No BAP and no injectors.
SlowPokeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Forget boost...Just run nos all the time, very reliable, easy install, and cost effective...done
You have to fill it up constantly and keep it at a certain temperature I believe.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Procal Tune? Im going to google it but any info you can give me, is this the Ford tune?
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

You have to fill it up constantly and keep it at a certain temperature I believe.
I was just messin around guys, of course nos is not practical for a dd and is completely different with respect to f.i. (super or turbo) as far as power adders go, I.e. boost is nearly constant for super or turbo, Where as nos is for a quick power gain. Good luck with your choice guy. Ps. Notice I said nearly constant boost so dont tear my head off
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
Procal Tune? Im going to google it but any info you can give me, is this the Ford tune?
Yes....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes....
Where do you buy it? I keep searching and nothing comes out for the 13
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

buyfordracing.com.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ordered the Boss intake adapter when I ordered the tuner kit. Like the other guy said, tuner kit means no SCT tuner, no injectors, or BAP (boost a pump, you can order these as a package deal with whoever you get the tuner kit with. I ordered mine from Beefcake on here, he has awesome prices and customer service.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I ordered the Boss intake adapter when I ordered the tuner kit. Like the other guy said, tuner kit means no SCT tuner, no injectors, or BAP (boost a pump, you can order these as a package deal with whoever you get the tuner kit with. I ordered mine from Beefcake on here, he has awesome prices and customer service.
Do you think injectors and the BAP are needed for a DD?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Depends on how much hp you want out of your dd.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you think injectors and the BAP are needed for a DD?
Injectors are definitely needed, and the size of them and BAP depends on how much power you make. The ID1000s and BAP are a little overkill for my setup, but it leaves me room to grow and the ID injectors are very tuner friendly.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Injectors are definitely needed, and the size of them and BAP depends on how much power you make. The ID1000s and BAP are a little overkill for my setup, but it leaves me room to grow and the ID injectors are very tuner friendly.
Thanks, I may PM you with some more questions before I make my purchase next month.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

You either rein in your power expectations and push the stock injectors a little (which is perfectly ok, as they are under-worked stock). This will maintain factory mileage and driveability, no problemo.

Or you inject it and go a custom tune route, which will allow you to make the sky the limit on your power plans, within reason.

The first seems the more sensible choice for DD, if you can handle knowing there's a whack-load of power left on the table.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You either rein in your power expectations and push the stock injectors a little (which is perfectly ok, as they are under-worked stock). This will maintain factory mileage and driveability, no problemo.

Or you inject it and go a custom tune route, which will allow you to make the sky the limit on your power plans, within reason.

The first seems the more sensible choice for DD, if you can handle knowing there's a whack-load of power left on the table.
I'm perfectly ok with 615hp not looking to really push it any more.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And whats BAP
Everybody is spot on with info on here about the centri.. Good thread! Traction is terrible in weather under 70 but I have stock tires still. When it's hot out I get pretty good traction without slamming the gears. BAP just helps the fuel pump do a lil better job getting the fuel in there!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT