2011 GT Starting Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2011 GT Starting Problems

Bought my car from a dealer about 6 months ago. 24k miles and appeared to be stock aside from Bassani axle back mufflers. It just started doing this thing where it would just crank and not start. I would let off the key and it just kept cranking. I have to turn the key all the way off or let off the clutch before it will stop turning over. It usually starts just fine after that. Any ideas?
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Me too, it's a known problem with the 11s. You can take it to the dealer and they will update your ECU. It's not known to cause any problems. I didn't do anything about it because I have a tune and don't want to messit up.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
Me too, it's a known problem with the 11s. You can take it to the dealer and they will update your ECU. It's not known to cause any problems. I didn't do anything about it because I have a tune and don't want to messit up.
Could the tune have caused it? Just wondering if mine may have a tune from the previous owner.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

Could the tune have caused it? Just wondering if mine may have a tune from the previous owner.
No, it's a known issue affecting only the 11s... (As I understand it anyway).

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, it's a known issue affecting only the 11s... (As I understand it anyway).
Thanks. Guess ill take it to the dealer then. Was kinda hoping my car maybe had a tune .
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. Guess ill take it to the dealer then. Was kinda hoping my car maybe had a tune .
I'm not saying it doesn't, but I do have a tune and still have this issue. It only happens every 30 start ups or so. To my knowledges it doesn't harm

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Bought my car from a dealer about 6 months ago. 24k miles and appeared to be stock aside from Bassani axle back mufflers. It just started doing this thing where it would just crank and not start. I would let off the key and it just kept cranking. I have to turn the key all the way off or let off the clutch before it will stop turning over. It usually starts just fine after that. Any ideas?
I'be had the same problem intermittently on my 2011. Freaked me out first time it happened but dealt with like described. Don't our keys have a "chip" that needs to mate with the pcm to start the car. I wonder if sometimes this could be the problem. Seems to happen mostly in really hot weather when this occurred. Told the dealer and they said they haven't heared of these problems but it could be the ignition switch. Mine is stock by the way.
mongo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1970 View Post

I'be had the same problem intermittently on my 2011. Freaked me out first time it happened but dealt with like described. Don't our keys have a "chip" that needs to mate with the pcm to start the car. I wonder if sometimes this could be the problem. Seems to happen mostly in really hot weather when this occurred. Told the dealer and they said they haven't heared of these problems but it could be the ignition switch. Mine is stock by the way.
The weather had not been extreme either way here. Seems very random. I'll get it up to the dealer soon. Y'all think they will look at it as warranty work if my car is lowered?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

The weather had not been extreme either way here. Seems very random. I'll get it up to the dealer soon. Y'all think they will look at it as warranty work if my car is lowered?
That has nothing to do with your issue... basically whatever u mod isn't warrantied
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Never experienced this in my 2011. Now y'all gonna have me in a small panick every time I turn her over.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Never experienced this in my 2011. Now y'all gonna have me in a small panick every time I turn her over.
I always use the "bump" feature when I start the car meaning I just find the key. Believe me it Will make you think your car Won't start due to a mechanical problem. In the 5 or 6 times this has occured all it took was removing the key and starting it again. However, it is also kind if embarrassing when people stare at you thinking there is a problem.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1970 View Post

I always use the "bump" feature when I start the car meaning I just find the key. Believe me it Will make you think your car Won't start due to a mechanical problem. In the 5 or 6 times this has occured all it took was removing the key and starting it again. However, it is also kind if embarrassing when people stare at you thinking there is a problem.
Trying to work and reply is not a good idea. What I meant to say is " turn the key till the starter engages and release the key."
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

That has nothing to do with your issue... basically whatever u mod isn't warrantied
I hope you're right. I keep hearing dealer horror stories about mods and warranties...I guess it may depend on the dealer. Maybe I'll call a few and ask some questions before I take it in. Putting the stock springs and pan hard bar back on for a few days is worth getting the starting issue fixed.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Have the same issue....the only way I have found to not have this happen is to turn the key and hold for a second or two before starting....in my case either I am dreaming or it has worked.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Mine also did that I took it to the dealer and they updated the ecu and all is fine. I never had a tune
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback. It happened twice on the 6th and has not happened since. I thought that maybe I was turning the key at an odd time while pushing the clutch down or something. I have been taking GTYUP's approach since then. We will see what happens.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
On the '11 the system is designed to crank until it starts, you don't have to hold the key to crank the motor. Just bump the key to start and release. Mine rarely takes a few rotations on the motor to fire up. Like when I shut the car off for a few minutes when I think the motor was not quite up to full operating temp. It was a bit unnerving the first time it happened. The owners manual described the difference in this system in my car to a normal system.
So, the dealer can defeat this system back to a typical start up?
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
On the '11 the system is designed to crank until it starts, you don't have to hold the key to crank the motor. Just bump the key to start and release. Mine rarely takes a few rotations on the motor to fire up. Like when I shut the car off for a few minutes when I think the motor was not quite up to full operating temp. It was a bit unnerving the first time it happened. The owners manual described the difference in this system in my car to a normal system.
So, the dealer can defeat this system back to a typical start up?
When I get in a car that doesn't crank till it starts I feel retarded. My moms car is that way. Takes me 2-3 tries to start it still since my mustang and truck both have this feature.

I wonder how they can change that. Can't be just software.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post

Mine also did that I took it to the dealer and they updated the ecu and all is fine. I never had a tune
When you had the dealer flash the computer did it disable the bump start feature? That sounds like what I am reading on the thread here.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bump. Does the bump start feature get turned off when the dealer flashes the computer for the fix?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
This feature adds character to the 'Stang. Adapt and overcome, you will be better for it....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt