Octane - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post

Just because a few people on here don't know their a** from a hole in the ground, don't start putting all mustang drivers in with your DORK comment !!!!
Haha what?! I was referring to grabberblue's nerdy comment. Haha. Me included as I got the reference.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I fail to see why people spend nearly 40k on a high-performance car, possibly dump thousands of dollars in mods into it, and then neuter it with 87 octane gas. It's really only a few extra dollars a tank, folks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
I fail to see why people spend nearly 40k on a high-performance car, possibly dump thousands of dollars in mods into it, and then neuter it with 87 octane gas. It's really only a few extra dollars a tank, folks.
When you make $15 an hour, have a $600+ car payment and $150 insurance payment every month you look for every way you can to save money.

Molon Labe
SlowPokeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post

When you make $15 an hour, have a $600+ car payment and $150 insurance payment every month you look for every way you can to save money.
Yeah but when you have a chance to damage your car your paying 600+ for.

He is right. I bet there are other ways you could save the few dollars per tank needed on the mustang.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT

Damuunn, I love my car, but I would never risk my future for it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT

Don't stretch yourself quite so far?

It costs you about $5 more per tank to run premium. You probably waste more on a cell phone plan you don't need than it would cost you in a month. If your car is not running a 93 octane specific tune you are not going to hurt the car running 87.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Compression ratio, it's about the compression ratio that's why. And where did you hear that v6 and v8 share 60% of their parts? Maybe on the whole car but I'd be surprised if they shared much more than the oil cap when it comes to the motor
I meant whole car. Yeah the motor is far different but it still has the relative idea from the tranny back. Both manuals say 87, so I would run what the manual says. Premium was nice in mine but it lowered mpg. It had more low end from a stop but regular just kinda lets it slip some. Buddy has an Acura CL s type. He can't run nothing but premium due to compression ratio as do all the 350Z's. just saying. Since the premium is more dense, it combusts easier? I'm new to learning compression ratios, not just blindly stupid
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Don't stretch yourself quite so far?

It costs you about $5 more per tank to run premium. You probably waste more on a cell phone plan you don't need than it would cost you in a month. If your car is not running a 93 octane specific tune you are not going to hurt the car running 87.
So, what does the stock tune require? Manual says 87 but y'all v8 guys run the 93 due to compression. I get that. And yeah it's just 5 dollars but overtime that adds up to either wasted gas or money well spent. Change the fluids regularly, check your filters, and air up the tires when needed and don't think, " a redline a day keeps the mechanic away." Do all that and these cars will last awhile. Hell the new edge mustang motors last on average 360,000 and the tranny 120,000. It may sound like what I'm sayin is from yester year but if it works, it works.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

So, what does the stock tune require? Manual says 87 but y'all v8 guys run the 93 due to compression. I get that. And yeah it's just 5 dollars but overtime that adds up to either wasted gas or money well spent. Change the fluids regularly, check your filters, and air up the tires when needed and don't think, " a redline a day keeps the mechanic away." Do all that and these cars will last awhile. Hell the new edge mustang motors last on average 360,000 and the tranny 120,000. It may sound like what I'm sayin is from yester year but if it works, it works.
Haha 5$ is nothing... Don't know if your a smoker, if u quit u will have plenty more $$ to spend on premium and more mods... Oh, and u might live an extra 10 years on top of that... It's a win win
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I meant whole car. Yeah the motor is far different but it still has the relative idea from the tranny back. Both manuals say 87, so I would run what the manual says. Premium was nice in mine but it lowered mpg. It had more low end from a stop but regular just kinda lets it slip some. Buddy has an Acura CL s type. He can't run nothing but premium due to compression ratio as do all the 350Z's. just saying. Since the premium is more dense, it combusts easier? I'm new to learning compression ratios, not just blindly stupid
Tech specs from fords website that says recommended fuel is 91 not 87. Does say you can run 87 but is not what is recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130207_195057.png
Views:	94
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	89687
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Tech specs from fords website that says recommended fuel is 91 not 87. Does say you can run 87 but is not what is recommended.
I also posted this for the 13/14s which recommend premium and everyone blew over it and continue to say 87 is recommended haha. I just want to address that you are correct, sir. 11-13 gt definitely don't recommend 87.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Haha 5$ is nothing... Don't know if your a smoker, if u quit u will have plenty more $$ to spend on premium and more mods... Oh, and u might live an extra 10 years on top of that... It's a win win
Lol the day I turned 19 I bought a coke and snickers, not Cigarettes. There is a heated debate in the v6 section over this. Just learning
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Octane rating is not a measure of energy. They allow for the fuel to be used in higher-compression scenarios. Higher compression does equal more power and efficiency.

It is true that using high octane fuel in LOW compression engines can yield poorer performance and higher emissions. The 5.0 is NOT a low compression engine. 11:1 is pretty high.

Ford acknowledges that power in the Coyote is reduced somewhat with 87. They publish these numbers. They are readily available.

The engine management system can compensate to lower octane fuel by pulling timing, which effectively reduces compression ratio by igniting the fuel sooner. If that's how you want to run your engine, that's up to you. You are essentially (IMO) running the engine in a sub-optimal configuration all the time to save $4 or $5 a tank. Figure 100 degree days and some WOT pulls and I feel much better running 93 in my car. I'd run 94 if they still had that around. I also have a Steeda tune.

It's your car ... run what you want. But it is what it is and what it is is sub-optimal.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Octane rating is not a measure of energy. They allow for the fuel to be used in higher-compression scenarios. Higher compression does equal more power and efficiency.

It is true that using high octane fuel in LOW compression engines can yield poorer performance and higher emissions. The 5.0 is NOT a low compression engine. 11:1 is pretty high.

Ford acknowledges that power in the Coyote is reduced somewhat with 87. They publish these numbers. They are readily available.

The engine management system can compensate to lower octane fuel by pulling timing, which effectively reduces compression ratio by igniting the fuel sooner. If that's how you want to run your engine, that's up to you. You are essentially (IMO) running the engine in a sub-optimal configuration all the time to save $4 or $5 a tank. Figure 100 degree days and some WOT pulls and I feel much better running 93 in my car. I'd run 94 if they still had that around. I also have a Steeda tune.

It's your car ... run what you want. But it is what it is and what it is is sub-optimal.
This is the most correct response so far! Octane is a measure of a fuels ability to resist detonation, just like cetane is a measure of a diesel fuels lubricity. The higher the octane, the more resistance to pre-detonation. This is good for high compression motors as it resists the "knock" associated with lower octane fuels. It is true that the coyote will pull timing to ensure the engine operates within safe conditions, but in my experience automation can not always be trusted. I feel it's better to be safe then sorry.

As for whoever mentioned diesels, Cetane is like I said a measure of lubricity, thus it is inversely proportionate to octane, higher the cetane number, lower the theoretical octane number would be. But with that being said, diesel operate solely off of compression and the heat generated by that compression.

In conclusion, compression ratios are a good guideline for the type of fuel necessary for your vehicle, but there are also plenty of engines out there running an 8:1 cr and are in need of high octane fuel. So just be aware of what you actually need. I will be staying with my 93 as I am tuned for it.
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT