Which CF DS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Which CF DS?

I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
The shelby won't fit, I think, because it had a dofferent transmission
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Shelby DS will not fit. Why CF DS? Just get aluminum. They're still good for 900 hp and only about 2-4 lbs heavier, which isn't enough to justify the money IMO.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.
Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you
I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.
What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??
Little to none.

While an aluminum drive shaft is a good upgrade there are many other things I'd do first. The OP needs to give us a lot more info like if he has an auto or manual, what he's already done, and what is the cars primary goal?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.
I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.
Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Think there are some people on here with them holding up too 600HP at the wheels.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Think there are some people on here with them holding up too 600HP at the wheels.
Yes, the roush stage 3 has 575 and it has the stock gt DS.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?
Yeah you can ask them, some won't care.

And yes you can reinstall it. Just seems like a full on PITA.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

How are you going to hit 575 hp without voiding warranty
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

How are you going to hit 575 hp without voiding warranty
Roush supercharger phase1 . Keeps your power train warranty. Ill just go with the DSS since no one has posted their opinion of a CF driveshaft.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

I've seen videos of ones up 700-800 hp with stock tranny and driveshaft.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Roush supercharger phase1 . Keeps your power train warranty. Ill just go with the DSS since no one has posted their opinion of a CF driveshaft.
I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds
+1
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have the aluminum ds and in my opinion that one mod alone was the most noticeable gain of all the mods, except410 gears, the ds feels like u gain 25 hp even tho its just less rotational weight, the minute u pop the clutch u feel it...!
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

On lethal performance, it's 350 more. Supposedly it reduces cabin noise a lot. Every bit of weight helps.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride

On lethal performance, it's 350 more. Supposedly it reduces cabin noise a lot. Every bit of weight helps.
I agree on the CF, if your spending $700+ on a DS to start with, what's $350 more. A few #s less in rotating mass is a huge difference.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I got my DS for $670 shipped to my door brand new, lethal charges $1100? I think, shaftmasters can be had for right at $600. Still not worth it IMO, even if you could get the CF DS for $1000 even it still wouldn't be worth it unless you just had to drop every ounce of weight possible

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I got my DS for $670 shipped to my door brand new, lethal charges $1100? I think, shaftmasters can be had for right at $600. Still not worth it IMO, even if you could get the CF DS for $1000 even it still wouldn't be worth it unless you just had to drop every ounce of weight possible
Where did you buy it and did you use a sale code?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Sent you a pm joyride

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I don't know... maybe if one is concerned about the manner in which a driveshaft may fail, a carbon fiber unit might be a good idea to invest in rather than a one-piece aluminum unit. Both a stock or one-piece aluminum driveshaft have the potential of wreaking havoc on the underside(and inside through the floorpan!) of your car. Carbon fiber has the added plus of absorbing more of the drivetrain harmonics. With that said, I don't see an aluminum unit failing at your eventual power rates.

Get your suspension done, first... I would recommend DSS or PST.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

That's why you buy the front DS safety loop

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost

I don't know... maybe if one is concerned about the manner in which a driveshaft may fail, a carbon fiber unit might be a good idea to invest in rather than a one-piece aluminum unit. Both a stock or one-piece aluminum driveshaft have the potential of wreaking havoc on the underside(and inside through the floorpan!) of your car. Carbon fiber has the added plus of absorbing more of the drivetrain harmonics. With that said, I don't see an aluminum unit failing at your eventual power rates.

Get your suspension done, first... I would recommend DSS or PST.
Why suspension first?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why suspension first?
PST requires you to take a measurement. They suggest all suspension work be completed before doing the driveshaft. Suspension modifications change the geometry(pinion angle) and can alter the articulation of the cv-joint, I think. DSS does not require any measurements, for some reason.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's why you buy the front DS safety loop
I agree... for both OEM or aftermarket aluminum shafts, but it kind of defeats the purpose of dropping a significant amount of weight, then adding a little more weight with the safety loops. As long as it's not rotational mass you are adding, I guess it's not that bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT