Which CF DS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Which CF DS?

I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
The shelby won't fit, I think, because it had a dofferent transmission
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
Shelby DS will not fit. Why CF DS? Just get aluminum. They're still good for 900 hp and only about 2-4 lbs heavier, which isn't enough to justify the money IMO.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.
Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you
I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.
What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??
Little to none.


While an aluminum drive shaft is a good upgrade there are many other things I'd do first. The OP needs to give us a lot more info like if he has an auto or manual, what he's already done, and what is the cars primary goal?
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.
I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.
Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?
Think there are some people on here with them holding up too 600HP at the wheels.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Think there are some people on here with them holding up too 600HP at the wheels.
Yes, the roush stage 3 has 575 and it has the stock gt DS.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?
Yeah you can ask them, some won't care.

And yes you can reinstall it. Just seems like a full on PITA.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?
How are you going to hit 575 hp without voiding warranty
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

How are you going to hit 575 hp without voiding warranty
Roush supercharger phase1 . Keeps your power train warranty. Ill just go with the DSS since no one has posted their opinion of a CF driveshaft.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?
I've seen videos of ones up 700-800 hp with stock tranny and driveshaft.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Roush supercharger phase1 . Keeps your power train warranty. Ill just go with the DSS since no one has posted their opinion of a CF driveshaft.
I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds
+1
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
I have the aluminum ds and in my opinion that one mod alone was the most noticeable gain of all the mods, except410 gears, the ds feels like u gain 25 hp even tho its just less rotational weight, the minute u pop the clutch u feel it...!
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds
On lethal performance, it's 350 more. Supposedly it reduces cabin noise a lot. Every bit of weight helps.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride

On lethal performance, it's 350 more. Supposedly it reduces cabin noise a lot. Every bit of weight helps.
I agree on the CF, if your spending $700+ on a DS to start with, what's $350 more. A few #s less in rotating mass is a huge difference.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

On lethal performance, it's 350 more. Supposedly it reduces cabin noise a lot. Every bit of weight helps.
I got my DS for $670 shipped to my door brand new, lethal charges $1100? I think, shaftmasters can be had for right at $600. Still not worth it IMO, even if you could get the CF DS for $1000 even it still wouldn't be worth it unless you just had to drop every ounce of weight possible
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I got my DS for $670 shipped to my door brand new, lethal charges $1100? I think, shaftmasters can be had for right at $600. Still not worth it IMO, even if you could get the CF DS for $1000 even it still wouldn't be worth it unless you just had to drop every ounce of weight possible
Where did you buy it and did you use a sale code?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Sent you a pm joyride
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrayGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I recently purchased the dss aluminum DS, but have yet to install it. The CF DS just isn't worth it IMO to drop an extra 4-500 to she'd just a couple more pounds
I don't know... maybe if one is concerned about the manner in which a driveshaft may fail, a carbon fiber unit might be a good idea to invest in rather than a one-piece aluminum unit. Both a stock or one-piece aluminum driveshaft have the potential of wreaking havoc on the underside(and inside through the floorpan!) of your car. Carbon fiber has the added plus of absorbing more of the drivetrain harmonics. With that said, I don't see an aluminum unit failing at your eventual power rates.

Get your suspension done, first... I would recommend DSS or PST.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
That's why you buy the front DS safety loop
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joyride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost

I don't know... maybe if one is concerned about the manner in which a driveshaft may fail, a carbon fiber unit might be a good idea to invest in rather than a one-piece aluminum unit. Both a stock or one-piece aluminum driveshaft have the potential of wreaking havoc on the underside(and inside through the floorpan!) of your car. Carbon fiber has the added plus of absorbing more of the drivetrain harmonics. With that said, I don't see an aluminum unit failing at your eventual power rates.

Get your suspension done, first... I would recommend DSS or PST.
Why suspension first?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrayGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Why suspension first?
PST requires you to take a measurement. They suggest all suspension work be completed before doing the driveshaft. Suspension modifications change the geometry(pinion angle) and can alter the articulation of the cv-joint, I think. DSS does not require any measurements, for some reason.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrayGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
That's why you buy the front DS safety loop
I agree... for both OEM or aftermarket aluminum shafts, but it kind of defeats the purpose of dropping a significant amount of weight, then adding a little more weight with the safety loops. As long as it's not rotational mass you are adding, I guess it's not that bad.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:11 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.