Lets Beat This Topic To Death-Headers! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lets Beat This Topic To Death-Headers!

Longtube headers, Yes or No?
If you say yes explain why, post dyno numbers and header brands!
No? Then do the same, I want to make this one a stickie!
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you're capable of doing the installation yourself sure. If you need to hire someone to do it it's a lot of money when you figure 1K for the headers and another 1k for install. 2K for 15-20 HP is a lot of money.

Molon Labe
SlowPokeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post
If you're capable of doing the installation yourself sure. If you need to hire someone to do it it's a lot of money when you figure 1K for the headers and another 1k for install. 2K for 15-20 HP is a lot of money.
If i buy them im installing them, paying someone is pointless, unless you got mad bread
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post
Wow 1k for install? That is really high.
My local speed shop would install for 450 and the highest quote i got was 600.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I say yes... you are looking at a 30-35hp increase for a full system. They are pricey to begin with, and may be difficult to install on your own. If you got the bread, have a tech install them for you. IMHO, the exhaust is one of the very few areas Ford Engineers left on the table for a bit more improvement(OEM Tri-Y headers are very good, though)... skip the air box and throttle body!

Depending on which manufacturer you go with and want to keep it 49-state legal, it can be installed without requiring a tune and not throw any codes.

Kooks headers in 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" for stock to minimal bolt-ons. 1-7/8" or 2" for forced induction and very high horsepower levels.

Going with Kooks Headers with 1-5/8" primaries and Ultra High Flow(GESI) Catted X-Pipe... already have their Cat-back exhaust system. I have no plans or desires for an intake manifold swap, internal engine changes, or forced induction. I'll try to post before-after numbers when they are done next month.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've got ARH longtubes with a catted X-pipe.

Pluses: Immediate gains, future mods will be more beneficial.

Minuses: ground clearance is sacrificed, especially if you're lowered. You won't be going over speed bumps or steep driveways quickly/easily. The install is a pain. Was actually easier to just drop the K-member (we were doing the Ford Racing suspension at the same time too). The X-pipe portion is easy to scrape, despite best efforts to not hit anything...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've installed a couple sets of Stainless Works headers, great quality and spot on fitment. You'll gain more with F/I, N/A you'll gain around 25 hp with 15 of that by removing the cats.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT