Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tire wear

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  nhcowboy 
#1 ·
Ok so gettin the oil changed today and they tech calls me back to look at my tires. (Pirellis) The car has a little over 16,000 miles on her. The back tires are crazy worn. I do spin a little from time to time but by no means enough to justify the amount of wear on them. How many miles are u guys gettin outta these tires?

#6 ·
Right above 20k miles with my PZeros... due for change. Not garbage, in terms of overall handling/performance, but they wear pretty fast.

#7 ·
5k (stock pzero's to Bridgestones re960) (

12k (rears to Pilot Super Sports)

18k (Pilot Sport A/S)

Rear's were getting bald at each change except first... Bullet blew front tire and damaged stock rim.. (Long story... Check my album for details). Forced my hand on new set of wheels/tires...

Yes... I have a throttle control problem and I'm seeking counseling.

#9 ·
Just replaced my OE P Zeros at 38,000 mostly highway miles. I went with the Bridgestone Potenzas since i didn't care for the way the PZero's were wearing.

#10 ·
Yes... I have a throttle control problem and I'm seeking counseling.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!!! Counseling won't help!

#15 ·
7k miles

I went to get oil changed yesterday and service said rears down to 4-6/32 :(. This seems extremely high wear. My GT is an automatic and the car will chirp tires when hitting 2nd gear but it never spins out. Very impressed with stickiness and launch but still can't believe rears need replacing this soon. Will be in search of harder compound tire next go around. Guess the TX heat is melting my tires :confused:

#17 ·
I went to get oil changed yesterday and service said rears down to 4-6/32 :(. This seems extremely high wear. My GT is an automatic and the car will chirp tires when hitting 2nd gear but it never spins out. Very impressed with stickiness and launch but still can't believe rears need replacing this soon. Will be in search of harder compound tire next go around. Guess the TX heat is melting my tires :confused:
What's the treadware number on your tires? All tires last for different amounts of times.

#16 ·
livinez said:
If you expect over 40k miles out of performance tires you are crazy...

#21 · (Edited)
livinez said:
Treadwear #220 -- GY Eagle F1 SuperCar 255/40 19
220 does not last long at all. My experience with any goodyear has been 15k to bald.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

livinez said:
Well, I'm not crazy and never said anything about expecting 40k so don't appreciate the comment as that is a stupid statement to make. I DO expect more than 8K miles...
With the information you provided I was just filling in blanks. Had no clue of car or mileage...

When I used a Mustang as dd I was replacing tires every 1-2 years

#23 ·
I only got a lil under 15k outta my pzeros w the brembo pkg. I live in Arkansas though and they are also a summer tire meaning they aren't meant to be driven at temps below 40F. Another thing for y'all to take into account is that although two different tires have a UTQG of 220 doesn't mean they will wear the same.. The tire manufacturers set those ratings themselves through their own tests and they are not regulated or checked by anyone. Obviously if they are WAY off then they aren't going to sell any tires.

#24 ·
All about throttle control/driving style (or lack thereof).

5100 replaced pzero with RE960AS (all)
12222 replaced RE960AS with Pilot Super Sports (rear only)
18374 Replaced PSS with Pilot Sport AS (all)

No burnouts done except one track day with the PSS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.