quick question - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Just picked her up .I caint get on it yet but I feel the difference
Yeah I babied mine for a few hundred. Then broker her loose.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Its killin me too.i might just go for a drive around the city break her in a lil quicker lol
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its killin me too.i might just go for a drive around the city break her in a lil quicker lol
I was told they don't really need the break in by the shop. They asked I do it so they would cover their work. It was hard.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What's the proper way to break in the new gears?? Where I'm getting mine done, it's a little over an hour and a half and getting it done around April

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Hour and a half away*
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

The guy told me just vary speeds for 2 or 300 miles and dont get on it hard
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The guy told me just vary speeds for 2 or 300 miles and dont get on it hard
Yup was told the same.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I think a 3.31 is fine for a 5.0 on street tires. My car ran a 12.8 1/4 bone stock. I feel like the 3.73 is faster to 60 but after that the 3.31 will real in the 3.73 since the 3.31 is in the power band for longer. I've raced redstangs 5.0 and off a dig he pulled till second gear then I pulled past him in 3rd.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Thats hard to believe either he was spinning all the way or something went wrong I went from 331 to 73s and its a big difference 1-4 I know my car is faster now
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

No he is right. I hit every shift but he could catch and pass me. I know my car wasn't down on power because I raced other cars and could pull on them. He has a really fast car, seen him walk a 430 whp cobra to.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats hard to believe either he was spinning all the way or something went wrong I went from 331 to 73s and its a big difference 1-4 I know my car is faster now
We have videos. I can link it if you guys are okay with that?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

We have videos. I can link it if you guys are okay with that?
Haha, even though it was a closed course it was still in a road so they would probably be deleted
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

Haha, even though it was a closed course it was still in a road so they would probably be deleted
Yup that's what I was thinking haha
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I call BS on this too. I had 3.31 gears and changed to 3.73 and there is no way a 3.31 car could beat a 3.73 car for an manual trans.

Ran 3.31 gears for near 7-8 months I would guess and 3.73 the rest until now 23 months owning the car.

Was tuned 93 race before and after from Bama. Didn't even get new tunes just changed the gearing in the options.

Switch cars and race again. Be surprised if you don't see same person winning.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I call BS on this too. I had 3.31 gears and changed to 3.73 and there is no way a 3.31 car could beat a 3.73 car for an manual trans.

Ran 3.31 gears for near 7-8 months I would guess and 3.73 the rest until now 23 months owning the car.

Was tuned 93 race before and after from Bama. Didn't even get new tunes just changed the gearing in the options.

My car ran a 12.8 bone stock on Brembo wheels/tires. That's the same time as a stock 3.73 gear 5.0.
Basically my train of logic is that yes the 3.73 rips through the gears quicker and you do feel a harder acceleration BUT the 3.31 makes up for that by staying in the power longer but at the same time it does not feel as fast. So unless your on some super sticky tires I can't see there being a huge difference.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
My '11 GT came with 331's. I had 410's put in it shortly thereafter and never looked back. My car is a toy, not a dd, but I drove it from Milwaukee to Myrtle Beach and back last summer and the 410's were never an issue. Averaged 22 mpg at 75+ mph too. The only downside I can really find with my 410's is that you "run through" 1st gear really fast- gotta watch it or you will bounce off the rev limiter. As far as exhaust drone at highway speeds- that has never been an issue either- and I have LT headers, no cats and really loud mufflers.
Just my 2 cents.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #52
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
What do u need to install gears? Do i need to buy bering and gasket and the whole deal or just the gears and the oil??? Thinking of going to 4.10 till i get the blower.
Just take it to steeda in pompano. A gear install with all of the necessary product is 450-500. You'll also need a hand held tune to fix your speedo though.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Another crazy question... Is it necessary to tune right away after a gear install?? I'm going to a reputable shop pretty far away and I would really hate to risk possibly having a bad tune then I'm stuck at the shop until Bama writes me a new tune which I would have to wait at least a day or two... Obviously I'm waiting for it and not leaving it
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Another crazy question... Is it necessary to tune right away after a gear install?? I'm going to a reputable shop pretty far away and I would really hate to risk possibly having a bad tune then I'm stuck at the shop until Bama writes me a new tune which I would have to wait at least a day or two... Obviously I'm waiting for it and not leaving it
No just your speedo will be off. So you wont know exactly how fast you are going.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No just your speedo will be off. So you wont know exactly how fast you are going.
So only the speedo will be off?? Cuz if that's the case, if be more comfortable applying the new tune when it's back in my garage... Just in case I'm stuck
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I believe your mileage will be off as well.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0 View Post
I believe your mileage will be off as well.
Yeah I forgot about this. It will make your mileage wrong.

If your only driving it less than 15-20 miles home I wouldn't worry about it though.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I forgot about this. It will make your mileage wrong.

If your only driving it less than 15-20 miles home I wouldn't worry about it though.
Gonna be driving at least hour and a half :-/ and I know part of the break in process is varying speeds which kinda sucks if I'm coming from far
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Gonna be driving at least hour and a half :-/ and I know part of the break in process is varying speeds which kinda sucks if I'm coming from far
Yeah just understand it will shoe you put more miles on the car than you really did.

I am not sure exactly how badly though. You have tunes through Bama? I know they can set the tune to allow you to change the gear ratio before flashing.

I did this with mine. I ordered a new tune from them so I wouldn't forget, but the shop that did the install showed me that you can chose the tune and then change options within the tune like idle RPM and rear diff gear etc. Right on the tuner. And that is what we did before I drove her home.

I also have noted not all Bama tunes come this way though. So might be something to ask. Then you can just reflash the working tune but change the rear diff gear.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah just understand it will shoe you put more miles on the car than you really did.

I am not sure exactly how badly though. You have tunes through Bama? I know they can set the tune to allow you to change the gear ratio before flashing.

I did this with mine. I ordered a new tune from them so I wouldn't forget, but the shop that did the install showed me that you can chose the tune and then change options within the tune like idle RPM and rear diff gear etc. Right on the tuner. And that is what we did before I drove her home.

I also have noted not all Bama tunes come this way though. So might be something to ask. Then you can just reflash the working tune but change the rear diff gear.
Yea I have Bama, ok cool that sounds pretty straightforward, I'm gonna check the tuner options when I get a chance... I never really played around with it much really, just flashed the tune and put back in my closet
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I have Bama, ok cool that sounds pretty straightforward, I'm gonna check the tuner options when I get a chance... I never really played around with it much really, just flashed the tune and put back in my closet
yeah should say something like adjust options or something along those lines after choosing your tune type and before hitting flash. I haven't had to change any of those parameters since I got my gears changed a long while ago so I don't remember exactly what it says.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT