Mustang Evolution Forum banner

quick question

3K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  nosympathy 
#1 ·
Well I resereved my spot wit kurgan motorsports and they are going to give me a nice tune and install a gear . But was wondering 373 or 410. I have a 6 speed manual

#11 ·

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I have 3.73's. as long as you don't highway drive to much they are perfect but at 80 the rpms are at the loudest possible point for the exhaust so drone is terrible.
I have Roush AB u still think it will drone

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

In 6th? I'm right around 2k rpm at 80. I have the 3.73 package from ford

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

I know it's been about a month sense I've had my car in the highway so maybe I'm just not remember right
U sure I have 31s and that's where im at

#19 ·
3.73s no question. I went from 3.55s to 3.73s and love the change. Very noticeable. You'll love them. Good luck.

#33 ·
Guessing they are backed up? Or taking there time which is good. My shop did it in about 4 hours. Then again they only work on mustangs. That is why I was kinda surprised. Then again I've never swapped gears before so no vast data to compare too.

#34 ·
nosympathy said:
Guessing they are backed up? Or taking there time which is good. My shop did it in about 4 hours. Then again they only work on mustangs. That is why I was kinda surprised. Then again I've never swapped gears before so no vast data to compare too.
If ther not backed up, they don't know what ther doing. 4hrs is plenty of time to do it right.

#42 ·
I think a 3.31 is fine for a 5.0 on street tires. My car ran a 12.8 1/4 bone stock. I feel like the 3.73 is faster to 60 but after that the 3.31 will real in the 3.73 since the 3.31 is in the power band for longer. I've raced redstangs 5.0 and off a dig he pulled till second gear then I pulled past him in 3rd.

#48 ·
I call BS on this too. I had 3.31 gears and changed to 3.73 and there is no way a 3.31 car could beat a 3.73 car for an manual trans.

Ran 3.31 gears for near 7-8 months I would guess and 3.73 the rest until now 23 months owning the car.

Was tuned 93 race before and after from Bama. Didn't even get new tunes just changed the gearing in the options.

Switch cars and race again. Be surprised if you don't see same person winning.

#49 ·
I call BS on this too. I had 3.31 gears and changed to 3.73 and there is no way a 3.31 car could beat a 3.73 car for an manual trans.

Ran 3.31 gears for near 7-8 months I would guess and 3.73 the rest until now 23 months owning the car.

Was tuned 93 race before and after from Bama. Didn't even get new tunes just changed the gearing in the options.

Switch cars and race again. Be surprised if you don't see same person winning.
My car ran a 12.8 bone stock on Brembo wheels/tires. That's the same time as a stock 3.73 gear 5.0.
Basically my train of logic is that yes the 3.73 rips through the gears quicker and you do feel a harder acceleration BUT the 3.31 makes up for that by staying in the power longer but at the same time it does not feel as fast. So unless your on some super sticky tires I can't see there being a huge difference.

#50 ·
My '11 GT came with 331's. I had 410's put in it shortly thereafter and never looked back. My car is a toy, not a dd, but I drove it from Milwaukee to Myrtle Beach and back last summer and the 410's were never an issue. Averaged 22 mpg at 75+ mph too. The only downside I can really find with my 410's is that you "run through" 1st gear really fast- gotta watch it or you will bounce off the rev limiter. As far as exhaust drone at highway speeds- that has never been an issue either- and I have LT headers, no cats and really loud mufflers.
Just my 2 cents.

#53 ·
Another crazy question... Is it necessary to tune right away after a gear install?? I'm going to a reputable shop pretty far away and I would really hate to risk possibly having a bad tune then I'm stuck at the shop until Bama writes me a new tune which I would have to wait at least a day or two... Obviously I'm waiting for it and not leaving it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.