Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Another Short Shift Thread

2K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  BlackBetty5.0 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, but I can't seem to find this particular answer for my 2013 GT using the search feature of the ME app. Probably user error!

Will getting a short shifter correct the synchro issue as well? I'm actually OK with the throw length that is stock, but when pushing it (shifting quickly) the engagement gets sloppy (hard to find the gear).

I'm planning out my mod list at this point and, while I'll get a short shifter anyway, want to know where it falls in the hierarchy.

Thanks all - great information on here.

#4 ·
Perfect, thanks TC. Exactly the shift I'm talking about (2 - 3, 4 - 5 sometimes bad too but can live with it). I'll do a search/research on the Barton Bracket but welcome more input on the shift issue. Especially from someone who implemented a cure in a 2013.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I have only heard great things about the mgw shifter and how it is one of the best mods for manual cars. I plan it buy it soon considering it is not to expensive and it is an easy install. From what people have said on here it is a quality part and one of the most rewarding mods to do.
I have a fairly high mod budget so I'm just looking to correct this specific issue as well as put whatever that fix is in to the overall plan of attack.

Keep em' coming.

#3 ·
I have only heard great things about the mgw shifter and how it is one of the best mods for manual cars. I plan it buy it soon considering it is not to expensive and it is an easy install. From what people have said on here it is a quality part and one of the most rewarding mods to do.

#6 ·
OK, I saw an MGW thread during my searches. So if I go MGW I'd not only have a short throw, I'd also alleviate the synchro issue all together? Just trying to understand. If so, what is the percentage decrease in throw over stock? I'm seeing other brands that range 20% to 40% shorter.

Thanks.

#8 ·
My MGW shifter just arrived yesterday. I'm impressed with the quality and precision these parts have been designed. I'm glad I waited to get the updated version. It's listed as a thirty percent reduction in throw.

#16 ·
I ordered my MGW last week and I just got the shipping info for it today! It's in Indiana on its way to Cali and should be here on Tuesday. From what i gather the synchro issues are more of a tranny issue that a shifter problem. The biggest issue I have found and the reason I got the MGW is that the return action from 2-N-3 shifting on the stock shifter is awful. Every gear except going into 3rd is just fine for me. I tried a new rear support bushing form energysuspension.com hoping that it could solve the 2-3 shift and it didn't..Enter the MGW.

#19 ·
You mentioned it being more of a tranny issue. Is there a fix for that? Sorry, trying to connect the dots and have read in other threads that a different fluid was helping correct some problem, just don't recall if if was this issue or something else.

#17 ·
Ordered my MGW today. I was thinking about the Hurst because I like the old (like me) school look, But didn't see a lot of positive reviews. Then I started looking at the Barton. Lot's of good feedback on it, but kept hearing raves about the MGW. Then I watched the MGW series of videos & see where the stock (Ford) lower box is still kind of a weak link & part of the problem. Should arrive in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

#20 ·
A lot of people have tried swapping trans fluid and it has helped smooth things out a bit in the trans especially when its cold. Unless you are really grinding gears however I would think the transmission/synchros are fine. The sloppy shifts however can be directly related to the shifter itself. If you look at the videos on the MGW website about the install they break everything down and show all of the reasons that shifting gets sloppy, weak rubber bushings, a lot of play in the upper shifter ect.

#21 ·
I just installed my MGW shifter and I love it, workmenship is 2nd to none! way better than the stock shifter. I will admit I live in Vermont and can't try it out yet but the throw is at least 25 to 305 shorter than stock. Install was simple, but I do have lift in my garage.

Rob

#23 ·
At first, I was like, "why is the MGW so expensive"? Then I saw one, and was blown away by the quality. I had to have one. Probably the best money spent on my Mustang so far. You never realize how bad the stock shifter is until you replace it. I went with the "track only" bushing, and it doesn't bother me at all. I hate the vagueness & impreciseness of the original. Nothing worse than missing or grinding a gear when it counts! You feel like an imbecile...

#30 ·
My first mod was an MGW and well worth it I do drag and auto cross I installed it in my garage on jack stands with my girlfriends help I have never missed a shift since then and that is worth a million dollars to me nothing on this earth is as frustrating as missing a shift MGW Nuff said

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.