2013 Mustang 5.0 Motor Mod Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013 Mustang 5.0 Motor Mod Advice

I have a 2013 with all the basic bolt ons- I want to jump into the motor , I think I'm gonna do shorty headers next , I already have off-road x-Pipe to racing bullets, 373 gears , aluminum drive shaft , Steeda Cold air intake , Lund Racing SCT Tune...My suspension is done and I'm on 315 drag radials...other then NOS or Charger What do I do next...
FiveOHwants2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOHwants2go View Post
I have a 2013 with all the basic bolt ons- I want to jump into the motor , I think I'm gonna do shorty headers next , I already have off-road x-Pipe to racing bullets, 373 gears , aluminum drive shaft , Steeda Cold air intake , Lund Racing SCT Tune...My suspension is done and I'm on 315 drag radials...other then NOS or Charger What do I do next...
Shorty headers won't make much of a difference so I've seen. If your gona take the stick manifolds off you mine as well just put on long tubes. Sounds like all you can do after that is a boss intake that would see any noticeable gains.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I would install a boss intake & BBK 90mm tb.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I agree ,throttle body a must most def..how bout heads...?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree ,throttle body a must most def..how bout heads...?
The only heads I'm aware if for our cars are the jpc custom heads or the boss heads. If you want to go all motor look up the jpc top dog package
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that where I'm going for now All Motor ...will check them out
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Yeah that where I'm going for now All Motor ...will check them out
Throttle body does not have a noticeable difference in performace. It was not recommended by my tuner.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Do not do throttle body, there is no hard evidence of gains. Shorty headers come on the car from the factory, do not do those. LT's or bust.

And about the heads, it'll set you back almost as much as a supercharger between parts and labor, unless you just absolutely demand squeezing out every last ounce of NA power from your coyote

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Do not do throttle body, there is no hard evidence of gains. Shorty headers come on the car from the factory, do not do those. LT's or bust.

And about the heads, it'll set you back almost as much as a supercharger between parts and labor, unless you just absolutely demand squeezing out every last ounce of NA power from your coyote
I think I'm gonna go with American racing longtube headers with no cat x-pipe , not sure what I'm gonna do with the exhaust , wether I'm gonna come off the xpipe with Racing bullets or straight pipe or flow master or back into my Steeda kooks ...really indecisive ...well a whipple is about 8 grand I think I can get the same horsepower all motor and a bottle ...I think heads are only like 1300 bucks ...
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What is your budget and what are your ultimate goals?

If you would like ... you can email me at tim@steeda.com and we can look at putting a package together for you based on your build.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sent an email to you...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I think I'm gonna go with American racing longtube headers with no cat x-pipe , not sure what I'm gonna do with the exhaust , wether I'm gonna come off the xpipe with Racing bullets or straight pipe or flow master or back into my Steeda kooks ...really indecisive ...well a whipple is about 8 grand I think I can get the same horsepower all motor and a bottle ...I think heads are only like 1300 bucks ...
Whipple kits can be had for about $6500. Roush kits for about $5700, Paxton kits can be had for about $3500. All of these are easily installed in a full day. Heads will cost a minimum of $1300 before labor (I would recommend letting a shop do this as there is much more that can go wrong with heads than with a supercharger) and your probably want to do cams at the same time, no reason to have the same labor two times. All I'm saying is that when you do heads, it's a one time deal. If you so a supercharger there are many configurations and combinations that will allow you more power. With heads you will gain more in the high end and that's about it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Longtubes will give you close to 20 hp, and everyone says TB is worthless but I put on the 85mm BBK and I love it, and you can feel the gain and overall smoother running engine, I guess if you put it on stock engine then yeah no gains but when you put it on an engine that has CAI and Longtubes it works...! Just like the CAI does nothing to a stock engine, but add Longtubes and thats when everything starts working really well..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
Longtubes will give you close to 20 hp, and everyone says TB is worthless but I put on the 85mm BBK and I love it, and you can feel the gain and overall smoother running engine, I guess if you put it on stock engine then yeah no gains but when you put it on an engine that has CAI and Longtubes it works...! Just like the CAI does nothing to a stock engine, but add Longtubes and thats when everything starts working really well..
I agree with you...do you have any advice to which Longtubes I should get
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the JBA longtubes and I love them 549.00 bucks is what I liked most, I cant see spending double for others.....you will need to tweak them alittle but they fit good I did them myself on jackstands
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I bought the JBA longtubes and I love them 549.00 bucks is what I liked most, I cant see spending double for others.....you will need to tweak them alittle but they fit good I did them myself on jackstands
Do the JBA connect to factory midpipe or do you have to buy a JBA midpipe?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Do the JBA connect to factory midpipe or do you have to buy a JBA midpipe?
you have to buy the midpipe too, or make one, the headers came with extra flanges, i bought the hpipe and love the deep rumble, I think the hpipe is 220.00?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you have to buy the midpipe too, or make one, the headers came with extra flanges, i bought the hpipe and love the deep rumble, I think the hpipe is 220.00?
X-pipe or h-pipe with longtubes???
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

H-pipe if you like muscle car rumble, x-pipe if you like raspy....
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Where did you find them for $5xx.00???
BlackSunshine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How bout a nice Port and polish and go higher compression .. Im just dying to see you experiment since im gonna try to get every last drop of NA power the coyote can give me... also yo u can do cams
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Stainless works headers are awesome, I've installed a few sets and fitment has been great. TB will not increase HP but, helps with throttle response. Accufab makes a good setup, most tuners don't really care for them as tuning can be a PITA for streetability. Heads on this car isn't worth it, you're looking at 3k at least for parts and install and the gains are minimal.
On a mod motor like the Coyote with high compression you're going to get the best bang for your buck going F/I.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm gonna bring my exhaust back out the rear , leave the stock headers on it for now and put a bottle on it.100 shot eventually do long tubes boss 302 intake and a ProCharger ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang