Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2.0L eco boost in a mustang

8K views 125 replies 27 participants last post by  99ford 
#1 ·
Just heard on Top Gear that the mustang will arrive in the U.K. for 2015 with the 2.0 L eco boost engine only. I'm not sure what that means for North America. But I'm sure the engine choices will be the same. I'm certain the 5.0L is staying. But sounds like 3.7 is on its way out.

#2 ·
Idk, the 3.7 is pretty popular stateside and there are some Lincon cars rocking it now. Personally I have no issue with the 6 or the Eco Boost as base and the other as a step up and the 5.0 as the GT or Cobra.. Kinda shake things up a bit.

#10 ·
I've been kind of thinking that the new Cobra/Shelby will have the TT 5.0 that's in the new Cobra Jet. If you look back at the last couple of Cobra Jet's they've all pretty much been the test bed for the next Shelby powertrain. I also heard that the test mule for the 2015 has a considerably smaller engine bay than the current Mustang, so the 5.8 with a blower on top will most likely not fit between the fenders. I think this also kind of points towards the new SVT project as utilizing the TT 5.0 since it will be considerably smaller (sort of haha.) Just my conspiracy theories though...

#11 ·
Doubt seriously the 5.8 and 5.0 engines differ much at all size wise, and if the engine is small enough that said size diff does matter then there won't be room for the 5.0 and TT's.. I'd love to see a TT SVT car but highly doubt that will happen..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

I hope so. Power out put from Chevy is just at 355hp, Fords Eco V6 in the SHO is 365hp+. But the real question is, will Ford put such a powerhouse V6 in the Mustang and still keep the 5.0?.. Or will they up the power in that too?..
I would think so, your still looking at a 60hp improvement roughly, and with the weight of the car trimming down some that HP # on the 6 won't have to be that high to get the same results..

But who knows guys, haven't been this excited about a car I don't plan on buying in awhile lol

#14 ·
My theory is a v6 ecoboost with maybe 325hp but dumbed down a bit as far as the motor goes so it uses less fuel and then the 5.0 will get a power bump as well and the new SVT/Shelby will have a twin turbo 5.0 but doubt it'll have as much as the current 5.8 SC'd does just cause that much power won't be needed with the new more nimble and lighter chassis...just my thoughts

#15 ·
V6 EcoBoost with 325? The current 3.5 SHO makes 365? The 3.7 makes 305. So they'll add EcoBoost for 20hp and have it make less power then the current EcoBoost six makes? Also, just because they're making the car lighter they'll decrease the power throughout? Not sure that makes any sense at all...

But I wouldn't mind a EcoBoost 4 just not by sacrificing the 3.7. The 3.7 is a great engine. Makes great power, great mpg's, and sounds better then any V6 I've heard besides a GTR.

#20 ·
My theory as to what needs to be done!.. No Eco Boost 4!!! Have the Eco V6 as the base model with 365hp, do away with the BOSS Mustang (I know that sounds bad but we all need that motor)!.. And put the BOSS Motor into the GT, bump output to 450+ HP and torque to over 410!.. Keep the SC 5.8 motor, as that is the top gun in the Mustang lineup!.. And ya, convert all motors over to Direct Injection. That will improve performance and mpg's!...

#38 ·
Here is my 2 cents on the future of the Mustang...

V6 still the base engine but, should be a single turbo eco-boost with 350hp.

GT still has the 5.0 but hp increase to 450.

I was told the SVT is dead and those type of cars are now designated ST so Ford should bring back the Cobra with a twin turbo 5.0 with 600hp. Called the Cobra ST.

Shellby should become a Hennessy type of car builder for Ford you buy a base GT send it off the Shelby and they build it up for you.

#49 · (Edited)
Last night while enjoying my first meet and greet with my mustang club I met a member who showed up in his Ford Focus ST. A few of us went for a short cruise and the Focus St came along with us. That ST was bad a$$. Now I'm not saying this Focus was faster than a factory V6 mustang but damn, I was definitely impressed. That ST moved sweet. I later got talking to the owner of this ST and asked what the hell work he had done to his engine to make that Focus so fast. He laughed and said nothing. He said its completely factory stock, 4 Banger, ecoboost, turbo engine. Factory power was like 260 HP and around 280 plus torque. My eyes were then wide open and could not believe the power this 4 Banger had. OMG.

I can't imagine why people would give a rats a$$ if Ford gave the next generation a 4 banger, turbo, ecoboost, 350 HP factory stock engine. Holy $hit that car would be fast. Or a turbo ecoboost, 6 Banger. My god those ecoboost engines are powerful.

#50 ·
Last night while enjoying my first meet and greet with my mustang club I met a member who showed up in his Ford Focus ST. A few of us went for a short cruise and the Focus St came along with us. That ST was bad a$$. Now I'm not saying this Focus was faster than a factory V6 mustang but damn, I was definitely impressed. That ST moved sweet. I later got talking to the owner of this ST and asked what the hell work he had done to his engine to make that Focus so fast. He laughed and said nothing. He said its completely factory stock, 4 Banger, ecoboost, turbo engine. Factory power was like 260 HP and around 280 plus torque. My eyes were then wide open and could not believe the power this 4 Banger had. OMG.

I can't imagine why people would give a rats a$$ if Ford gave the next generation a 4 banger, turbo, ecoboost, 350 HP factory stock engine. Holy $hit that car would be fast. Or a turbo ecoboost, 6 Banger. My god those ecoboost engines are powerful.
True that it wouldnt be the first time there would be a turbo'd 4 banger in a mustang

#65 ·
Who cares if they put a 4 banger in it??? It's not affecting you in any way. Ford is just keeping up with the times. Hating on a 4 cylinder mustang is just ignorant and its just as bad as the GT guys who hate on the sixxers. They're all mustangs whether it be a 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, were all brothers and sisters so don't hate just because its not an 8

#82 ·
Time to end this thread... The only reason Ford would put a 4 banger in the Mustang is the government rule... That car manufactures must achieve 55mpg by the year 2025 that is only a short 12 years away. So you see, like it or not a 4 banger will be back in the Stang... It's just a matter of time!!!

#87 ·
2300turboford said:
Wow too many ppl getting butt hurt if you don't like the 4cly turbo then quess what..............DON'T FREAKING BUY it
Hey.

Clearly, a v6 making 400+ hp is stupid, because there are only 6 cylinders.

And a 4 making 300 hp is also stupid.

It is absolutely moronic to buy a car one could have fun with, enjoy, and be fast - while not wasting fuel at a ludicrous rate.

IF you can not afford to get 10 mpg in your car, the ONLY option better be a 100hp front wheel drove crap box.

Clearly, any intellectual will DECLARE the only way to have a REAL car is to have 8 plus cylinders, and get 10 mpg.

/End insanity.

#88 ·
Hey.

Clearly, a v6 making 400+ hp is stupid, because there are only 6 cylinders.

And a 4 making 300 hp is also stupid.

It is absolutely moronic to buy a car one could have fun with, enjoy, and be fast - while not wasting fuel at a ludicrous rate.

IF you can not afford to get 10 mpg in your car, the ONLY option better be a 100hp front wheel drove crap box.

Clearly, any intellectual will DECLARE the only way to have a REAL car is to have 8 plus cylinders, and get 10 mpg.

/End insanity.
I love your sarcasm :D

#90 ·
alrefire said:
I love your sarcasm :D
I respect the passion for performance. But efficiency should be a goal...with it comes more power. Our engines are making more power while being more fuel efficient at a rapid rate. Why would anyone NOT want more power and NOT want better fuel economy? Fuel economy is directly correlated with efficiency.

It just escapes me. Like a new ice cream that is healthy, has zero calories, and tastes good. "So...it doesn't make me fat, and it has no negative? I do not accept it!"

#91 ·
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Ford has a 400HP 4 banger Turbo that gets 50 mpg and costs $7,000 less than a GT.

Why are they hiding this. We need it now, I can't believe they haven't been selling it before now. They're idiots to keeping offering a V8.

#93 ·
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Ford has a 400HP 4 banger Turbo that gets 50 mpg and costs $7,000 less than a GT.

Why are they hiding this. We need it now, I can't believe they haven't been selling it before now. They're idiots to keeping offering a V8.
I'm pretty sure the member was using that as an example. Its just really funny to see all the fanatics on here talk about how there not going to buy the new V8 mustang if Ford makes a 4 banger turbo model as well. All poppy cock and rubbish. You guys are gonna buy that mustang new V8 regardless and are full of crap to say otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.