2.0L eco boost in a mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2.0L eco boost in a mustang

Just heard on Top Gear that the mustang will arrive in the U.K. for 2015 with the 2.0 L eco boost engine only. I'm not sure what that means for North America. But I'm sure the engine choices will be the same. I'm certain the 5.0L is staying. But sounds like 3.7 is on its way out.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Idk, the 3.7 is pretty popular stateside and there are some Lincon cars rocking it now. Personally I have no issue with the 6 or the Eco Boost as base and the other as a step up and the 5.0 as the GT or Cobra.. Kinda shake things up a bit.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Wonder what the new shealby is gonna have in it
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Wonder what the new shealby is gonna have in it
Will there even be a new Shelby? I thought the contract was up? Was kinda hoping for a stand alone SVT project my self
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's hard to say what country's are gonna get which choices. I can't see ford offering more than two, maybe three engine choices though. I'm looking forward to the Eco boost engine line up.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Yeah it's hard to say what country's are gonna get which choices. I can't see ford offering more than two, maybe three engine choices though. I'm looking forward to the Eco boost engine line up.
++^^ Me too.. Love the winds of change!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I hope Ford don't do this!.. Chevy just released that they will offer a TT V6 as their base Camaro. Base Mustang needs to be at least the Eco Boost V6 then.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I hope Ford don't do this!.. Chevy just released that they will offer a TT V6 as their base Camaro. Base Mustang needs to be at least the Eco Boost V6 then.
If that's what the Bow Tie is doing, then I think Ford will do something to keep pace.. No worries!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

If that's what the Bow Tie is doing, then I think Ford will do something to keep pace.. No worries!
I hope so. Power out put from Chevy is just at 355hp, Fords Eco V6 in the SHO is 365hp+. But the real question is, will Ford put such a powerhouse V6 in the Mustang and still keep the 5.0?.. Or will they up the power in that too?..
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I've been kind of thinking that the new Cobra/Shelby will have the TT 5.0 that's in the new Cobra Jet. If you look back at the last couple of Cobra Jet's they've all pretty much been the test bed for the next Shelby powertrain. I also heard that the test mule for the 2015 has a considerably smaller engine bay than the current Mustang, so the 5.8 with a blower on top will most likely not fit between the fenders. I think this also kind of points towards the new SVT project as utilizing the TT 5.0 since it will be considerably smaller (sort of haha.) Just my conspiracy theories though...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
I've been kind of thinking that the new Cobra/Shelby will have the TT 5.0 that's in the new Cobra Jet. If you look back at the last couple of Cobra Jet's they've all pretty much been the test bed for the next Shelby powertrain. I also heard that the test mule for the 2015 has a considerably smaller engine bay than the current Mustang, so the 5.8 with a blower on top will most likely not fit between the fenders. I think this also kind of points towards the new SVT project as utilizing the TT 5.0 since it will be considerably smaller (sort of haha.) Just my conspiracy theories though...
Doubt seriously the 5.8 and 5.0 engines differ much at all size wise, and if the engine is small enough that said size diff does matter then there won't be room for the 5.0 and TT's.. I'd love to see a TT SVT car but highly doubt that will happen..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:

I hope so. Power out put from Chevy is just at 355hp, Fords Eco V6 in the SHO is 365hp+. But the real question is, will Ford put such a powerhouse V6 in the Mustang and still keep the 5.0?.. Or will they up the power in that too?..
I would think so, your still looking at a 60hp improvement roughly, and with the weight of the car trimming down some that HP # on the 6 won't have to be that high to get the same results..

But who knows guys, haven't been this excited about a car I don't plan on buying in awhile lol
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Doubt seriously the 5.8 and 5.0 engines differ much at all size wise, and if the engine is small enough that said size diff does matter then there won't be room for the 5.0 and TT's.. I'd love to see a TT SVT car but highly doubt that will happen..

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

I would think so, your still looking at a 60hp improvement roughly, and with the weight of the car trimming down some that HP # on the 6 won't have to be that high to get the same results..

But who knows guys, haven't been this excited about a car I don't plan on buying in awhile lol
+11
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I to think the next shelby will be turbo charged. The cobra jet already uses the turbos off of the focus st Eco boost. Either way it's very exciting.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My theory is a v6 ecoboost with maybe 325hp but dumbed down a bit as far as the motor goes so it uses less fuel and then the 5.0 will get a power bump as well and the new SVT/Shelby will have a twin turbo 5.0 but doubt it'll have as much as the current 5.8 SC'd does just cause that much power won't be needed with the new more nimble and lighter chassis...just my thoughts
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
My theory is a v6 ecoboost with maybe 325hp but dumbed down a bit as far as the motor goes so it uses less fuel and then the 5.0 will get a power bump as well and the new SVT/Shelby will have a twin turbo 5.0 but doubt it'll have as much as the current 5.8 SC'd does just cause that much power won't be needed with the new more nimble and lighter chassis...just my thoughts
V6 EcoBoost with 325? The current 3.5 SHO makes 365? The 3.7 makes 305. So they'll add EcoBoost for 20hp and have it make less power then the current EcoBoost six makes? Also, just because they're making the car lighter they'll decrease the power throughout? Not sure that makes any sense at all...

But I wouldn't mind a EcoBoost 4 just not by sacrificing the 3.7. The 3.7 is a great engine. Makes great power, great mpg's, and sounds better then any V6 I've heard besides a GTR.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post

V6 EcoBoost with 325? The current 3.5 SHO makes 365? The 3.7 makes 305. So they'll add EcoBoost for 20hp and have it make less power then the current EcoBoost six makes? Also, just because they're making the car lighter they'll decrease the power throughout? Not sure that makes any sense at all...

But I wouldn't mind a EcoBoost 4 just not by sacrificing the 3.7. The 3.7 is a great engine. Makes great power, great mpg's, and sounds better then any V6 I've heard besides a GTR.
Yeah with less weight you need less power which saves fuel so yeah they won't need that much power and they'll save fuel, so yeah it does make sense

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote:

And they don't wana give the v6 400hp and the GT have 420 cause that's too encroaching on the v8 territory
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!

One thing is a guarantee the new Mustang will have a rear independent suspension!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
One thing is a guarantee the new Mustang will have a rear independent suspension!!!
Thank god!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The current 3.7 does sound awesome for a V6 model. Makes great power and can handle a moderate amount of extra add on hp and torque.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My theory as to what needs to be done!.. No Eco Boost 4!!! Have the Eco V6 as the base model with 365hp, do away with the BOSS Mustang (I know that sounds bad but we all need that motor)!.. And put the BOSS Motor into the GT, bump output to 450+ HP and torque to over 410!.. Keep the SC 5.8 motor, as that is the top gun in the Mustang lineup!.. And ya, convert all motors over to Direct Injection. That will improve performance and mpg's!...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

Region: Nevada
I'll take a 350 HP V6. I live in the U.S. and don't have the opportunity to use 500 HP.
Bobavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My theory as to what needs to be done!.. No Eco Boost 4!!! Have the Eco V6 as the base model with 365hp, do away with the BOSS Mustang (I know that sounds bad but we all need that motor)!.. And put the BOSS Motor into the GT, bump output to 450+ HP and torque to over 410!.. Keep the SC 5.8 motor, as that is the top gun in the Mustang lineup!.. And ya, convert all motors over to Direct Injection. That will improve performance and mpg's!...
I'm wiling the to bet the 5.8 will be gone with the retro styling, it's just not efficient enough compared to the 5.0
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Il tell you what if they make a 15 v6 with more power then the 5.0s now there will be a huge issue. If they do that they can have there car back and il go buy a challenger . I do not want to be screwed like some of the 10 owners . Just saying lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Il tell you what if they make a 15 v6 with more power then the 5.0s now there will be a huge issue. If they do that they can have there car back and il go buy a challenger . I do not want to be screwed like some of the 10 owners . Just saying lol
I hear ya about the 10 owners. That definitely must of sucked big time for someone to have spent 29k on base 2010 model GT to have a base 2011 V6 for 7,500 less and almost as powerful.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ya now if the flip around and do that to all the 5.0 owners I think ford may have a issue
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Ya now if the flip around and do that to all the 5.0 owners I think ford may have a issue
Oh I bet the 5.0 owners would not be happy if Ford put out a 2015 V6 with 410 HP and the 2014 V8 had 420 HP. Not happy indeed.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm wiling the to bet the 5.8 will be gone with the retro styling, it's just not efficient enough compared to the 5.0
Well first off the SC 5.8 is more about power and performance. And if your so concerned about fuel economy then go get a Prius.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah with less weight you need less power which saves fuel so yeah they won't need that much power and they'll save fuel, so yeah it does make sense
Ok, you don't understand what I was trying to say.. Why would they want to decrease power just because they're shedding weight? Why not decrease weight, add more power and get better fuel economy in the process? And you think decreasing power instantly means fuel savings?

Personally, I think are current engines are fine as is though. All this EcoBoost will most likely drive up the cost. But I guess it depends on what the competition is doing and the cafe standards.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok, you don't understand what I was trying to say.. Why would they want to decrease power just because they're shedding weight? Why not decrease weight, add more power and get better fuel economy in the process? And you think decreasing power instantly means fuel savings?

Personally, I think are current engines are fine as is though. All this EcoBoost will most likely drive up the cost. But I guess it depends on what the competition is doing and the cafe standards.
+11. Less power in a lighter car does not really mean better fuel economy. At 80 mph my '04 GT gets better MPGs then my wife's '05 GrandPrix. My smaller, lighter, yet more powerful car is getting better MPGs. My point being, if all they do is put the currant power train into a smaller lighter car, then the smaller car will get better MPGs than the outgoing one does.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Um yeah power requires fuel and more fuel equals less mpg so less power equals more fuel and doubt you ever have but it's alot easier to control a car with 550ish hp than 650ish hp so therefore again less power will be needed forthr lighter body......and it's not me concerned with the fuel economy is the govt regulations and ford has to abide to those so yeah making their v8s as fuel efficient as possible in order to keep em around is a high priority.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Um yeah power requires fuel and more fuel equals less mpg so less power equals more fuel and doubt you ever have but it's alot easier to control a car with 550ish hp than 650ish hp so therefore again less power will be needed forthr lighter body......and it's not me concerned with the fuel economy is the govt regulations and ford has to abide to those so yeah making their v8s as fuel efficient as possible in order to keep em around is a high priority.
The 2013 GT500 is the only car out there with over 600hp that can do 200 mph that has not been hit with the Gas Guzzler Tax. Just saying. Lol
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 2013 GT500 is the only car out there with over 600hp that can do 200 mph that has not been hit with the Gas Guzzler Tax. Just saying. Lol
I know that but the regulations are getting stricter as well
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know that but the regulations are getting stricter as well
Yup! By 2016 all corporate company's must meet 30mpg for trucks and 39mpg for cars (average). Exactly why the stang is getting lighter and more efficient.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why the insult? I understand that shedding weight means you need less power to achieve the same goals. What I am trying to say is why would you want to achieve the same goals as a car from the previous gen? You can make a car more powerful and more fuel efficient at the same time. Look at the 11+ compared to the previous generations. Approximately 100 more hp and better fuel economy in both the V6 and V8 I believe.

I also understand that there's a point where it can be too much power. Because of some of the ages, lifestyles and purpose of some target buyers. This is why I understand if they somewhat tame the base model but the sky's the limit for the the rest as long as the price is kept reasonable. This is a performance car btw. An affordable performance car. So the goal is to achieve the best performance at a reasonable price.

And yes, government regulations with cafe standards means we need to make our vehicles more fuel efficient. But for now, that's only so far. Of coarse they'll try and make the Mustang as fuel efficient as possible but hopefully not at the cost of axing the V8. This is the whole point of EcoBoost. More power, better mpg's. Win-win. That's also why they'll introduce the EcoBoost 4cyl.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why the insult? I understand that shedding weight means you need less power to achieve the same goals. What I am trying to say is why would you want to achieve the same goals as a car from the previous gen? You can make a car more powerful and more fuel efficient at the same time. Look at the 11+ compared to the previous generations. Approximately 100 more hp and better fuel economy in both the V6 and V8 I believe.

I also understand that there's a point where it can be too much power. Because of some of the ages, lifestyles and purpose of some target buyers. This is why I understand if they somewhat tame the base model but the sky's the limit for the the rest as long as the price is kept reasonable. This is a performance car btw. An affordable performance car. So the goal is to achieve the best performance at a reasonable price.

And yes, government regulations with cafe standards means we need to make our vehicles more fuel efficient. But for now, that's only so far. Of coarse they'll try and make the Mustang as fuel efficient as possible but hopefully not at the cost of axing the V8. This is the whole point of EcoBoost. More power, better mpg's. Win-win. That's also why they'll introduce the EcoBoost 4cyl.
Both the 2013 5.0 and GT500 are rated at the same MPGs as my '04 GT. and both cars are bigger and heavier than mine, yet put out a ton more power. Put both of those drivetrains into a smaller, lighter car, along with Direct Injection, and you can raise both power and performance. Yet at the same time dramatically increase MPGs. Just my thoughts on the mater, and hopes that Ford will go with that direction.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT