Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT500 or Roush?

8K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  cbf102770 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I think I need to replace my axle back mufflers!
I did a lot researches and found GT500 and Roush I like most. Could you please give me some suggestions to help me decide? I would place my order tomorrow.
Thank you !

#2 ·
GT-500=quiet, civilized V8 sound with factory-fitment/durability and low cost
Roush=way louder, aggressive sound with crackling and popping on decel with higher cost.

#4 ·
Personally, I chose the GT-500s b/c I've had alot of loud cars and this is a DD. I wanted it to sound like a V8 but, not some snarling race car. The price point on the GT500s was a bonus but not the primary factor in my decision. Something was going on there and I'm happy with the choice I made.

#10 ·
I have GT500's with longtubes and Hpipe and I dont know where people say they are quiet? If you idle its quiet, but when you mash it it sounds like a racecar, and im not exaggerating, my opinion and ive heard both, if you like deep muscle car rumble and loud go with gt500's.....thats just me, and everyone comments on how nice it sounds and how loud it is.....!

#11 ·
I have Roush so I can't tell you you about any other exhaust. I can tell you that once I put these Roush cans on my car I fell in love with it all over again. I get compliments on the sound all the time and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#12 ·
If u plan on doing axlebacks only for now, definitely Roush... Many ppl get GT500s to mellow down their full exhaust setups... Basically it keeps the exhaust from being obnoxiously loud... I myself have Borla S Type axlebacks and it's a glorious sound that I don't plan on changing anytime soon but their pricey $$ but u always get what u pay for IMHO

#13 ·
Do you have cats or not? That's a big factor.

#15 ·
no cats here...!

#18 ·
GT500s are actually one of the louder setups when you get on it, according to a test latemodelrestoration did. In terms of decibels, it equaled flowmaster outlaws for loudness, although when cruising the 500s are very quiet. Unfortunately the Roush weren't part of the test, so it's hard to say actual decibel difference. But when people say the GT500s are quiet, I do agree because unless you're accelerating they aren't loud at all.

#19 ·
The first thing that went on my car was the axle backs. Of course I kept them but they are so mellow, I felt like papaw.

#21 ·
I went with SLP loudmouths and love them. Ill eventually change it all out but it sounds fine for now.

#22 ·
All depends on what you want to do. If your comparing a RS3 vs a GT500 then cost isn't an issue. You've got a hardened 5.0 or a new 5.8. Personally I love my Roushcharged but it is more agile than the GT500. My brother-in-law has the GT500 and can tell the weight difference. In my opinion, if I had the $$ I'd go with the GT500 and mod it! You can make it as loud as you want, tighten it up in the turns, change out the wheels, etc. Or you could go with a GT for mid 30's and spend the $30,000 on mods to make it what you want.

#25 ·
not much, when i get on it, its very loud, but stays a nice deep rumble, I had magnaflow street axle backs and yes they may have been a touch louder, but VERY RASPY....didnt like...

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

It scares all the old people down here in florida and ive been told they can hear me coming a mile away, so if you have long tubes, and want quiet at idle, but a beast on wot, and save a ton of money, go with gt500's , im not joking here it is a very nice sounding set up.. and nothing against the roush or borlas, they sound great too, but I like saving money..

#26 ·
So....do Roush mufflers drone?

#27 ·
poloka said:
All depends on what you want to do. If your comparing a RS3 vs a GT500 then cost isn't an issue. You've got a hardened 5.0 or a new 5.8. Personally I love my Roushcharged but it is more agile than the GT500. My brother-in-law has the GT500 and can tell the weight difference. In my opinion, if I had the $$ I'd go with the GT500 and mod it! You can make it as loud as you want, tighten it up in the turns, change out the wheels, etc. Or you could go with a GT for mid 30's and spend the $30,000 on mods to make it what you want.
LOL, the conversation is about mufflers .

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Defiant 5.0 said:
So....do Roush mufflers drone?
Mine don't at all.

#28 · (Edited)
LOL, the conversation is about mufflers .

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Mine don't at all.
Not even on the highway? Reason I ask is because I'm picking up a set because my Outlaws droned something fierce

#30 ·
My 3.90's whine horribly and I want to switch it out for 3.73's. I definitely don't want more exhaust drone, though.

#33 ·
What kind of gear do you have?

#32 ·
GT500 with no cats for the Win!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.