CAI? So many !? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Region: Oklahoma
CAI? So many !?

I have a 2012 5.0 looking to get a CAI possibly with a tuner as well, there's just so many out there I want to know what y'all would suggest would be worth taking a look at or what is legitimate
turnuptheluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnuptheluv View Post
I have a 2012 5.0 looking to get a CAI possibly with a tuner as well, there's just so many out there I want to know what y'all would suggest would be worth taking a look at or what is legitimate
Honestly it's just which look you like the most. There's no considerable performance gain just improved looks under the hood. Now a tuner is a different story, I recommend the diablo intune especially sense diablo confirmed that through their tests it doesn't void warranty
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Love my Steeda CAI this fit is top notch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3026945604.png
Views:	195
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	91956  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This is my C&L CAI.... As stated above an intake will give you better looks and sound but little to no performance increase.... Only is affective with a tune, and again the tune is whats really givig you the hp increase

Name:	image-3642043615.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	91958
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee

Name:	image-3079286885.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	91961

JLT. It's beastly!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Honestly it's just which look you like the most. There's no considerable performance gain just improved looks under the hood. Now a tuner is a different story, I recommend the diablo intune especially sense diablo confirmed that through their tests it doesn't void warranty
i didnt know that.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

i didnt know that.
I herd about it, so I called them and who ever I spoke to said they test on all ford are and the dealers couldn't detect a tune if you return to stock.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I went with the wms ram air intake and I love it...I got the 90mm one so I still need to by the ram air box but that's ganna happen next pay check

Name:	image-190742199.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	91962
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Mok
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I herd about it, so I called them and who ever I spoke to said they test on all ford are and the dealers couldn't detect a tune if you return to stock.
Anyone have any info on this?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Do you have to have the CAI to get the tune or can you get HP & Performance gains without a CAI and just a tune?
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My BBK Cold Air Intake. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1974942112.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	91966  
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
My BBK Cold Air Intake. I love it.
Yep have the same one. I love the chrome and the performance.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Yep have the same one. I love the chrome and the performance.
Yeah, I was seriously surprised by the performance increase. It's not ridiculous but it does feel like the car get's a kick in the pants at around 6500 rpm. The only reason I wound up with the BBK is because I got such a good deal on it lol.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

There's lots of good options for CAI's as you can already tell. We've had a lot of good luck with Airaid, JLT, and Steeda. I think you'll be very pleased with any of those. Plus, we have some intakes available in a Bama tuner package deal!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post

Yeah, I was seriously surprised by the performance increase. It's not ridiculous but it does feel like the car get's a kick in the pants at around 6500 rpm. The only reason I wound up with the BBK is because I got such a good deal on it lol.
Same here, it was a gift so technically it was free.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzep View Post
Do you have to have the CAI to get the tune or can you get HP & Performance gains without a CAI and just a tune?
The factory CAI, is plenty, you can save some money by just getting the tune, your biggest gains will come from the tune, the aftermarket CAI, are more of a cosmetic, and many who 'believe' they feel something are more than likely feeling the sound more than the actual gains. Realistically, any gain you might get from the aftermarket CAI, cannot be "felt", or even seen. I went from 13.38 @ 107 in factory form, to 12.43 with 93 octane tune, and all else still factory. I personally like the clean appearance of the factory box, over a plastic tube, with a cheap looking insulator, and open air cleaner. The aftermarket has done an excellent job of promoting their pieces, and hyping up their products, with many people believing what they have to say. If you want the cosmetic look, as many do, shop for what you feel looks best for you, but dont let the hype about power gains influence your decision.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

CAI's that require tunes are the only ones to give you more power. Usually about 10WHP more than just the tune alone from what I've seen
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I did air raid intake and bama tune definatlet a noticeable difference. Plus the sound of the intake is pretty sweet. And pretty much all the cai's are good for about 10hp with a tune
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1

I bet the guy said trust me too.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
It will still be a problem if you have a serious engine failure and can't reload the stock tune for some reason. Or for those of us that have mods requiring a tune, we can't drive on the stock tune to the dealer. (Boss IM or CAI that requires a tune)

My JLT CAI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9-14pic2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	92001  
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post

It will still be a problem if you have a serious engine failure and can't reload the stock tune for some reason. Or for those of us that have mods requiring a tune, we can't drive on the stock tune to the dealer. (Boss IM or CAI that requires a tune)

My JLT CAI.
People dont think about that part lol, if you have offroad xpipe, an intake mani, ect. They are not stupid, unless ofcourse you replace everything from stock, but what a pita!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I feel like trying it and having them write it on paper, to see if ford can detect it, to later sue them and buy everyone here a new 2015 mustang/2013 gt500s!
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post

People dont think about that part lol, if you have offroad xpipe, an intake mani, ect. They are not stupid, unless ofcourse you replace everything from stock, but what a pita!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I feel like trying it and having them write it on paper, to see if ford can detect it, to later sue them and buy everyone here a new 2015 mustang/2013 gt500s!
If I had serious problems with my car, I wouldn't think twice about putting her back to stock. Exactly why I still have all the stock parts.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Anyone have any info on this?
It is my understanding that the 2011+ PCM has a flash counter and they can tell how many times the PCM has been flashed. Dealer-performed flashes are part of your service record, if the counts do not match, you're busted.

I would be shocked if anyone found some backdoor to bypass the counter.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Don't waste your money on a CAI because these cars already come with CAI from the factory. Spend your money on what you will hear and feel. For example I went with a Roush axle back, MGW short shifter. To me those were the most important mods. If anything I would put a K@N filter to put in the stock box just to save money over time. I may also get a lighter drive shaft in the future and tune.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srohda View Post

Don't waste your money on a CAI because these cars already come with CAI from the factory. Spend your money on what you will hear and feel. For example I went with a Roush axle back, MGW short shifter. To me those were the most important mods. If anything I would put a K@N filter to put in the stock box just to save money over time. I may also get a lighter drive shaft in the future and tune.
I wouldn't even do the K&N, independent test show no power gain or even loss of power, and drag slips have shown slower times

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

I wouldn't even do the K&N, independent test show no power gain or even loss of power, and drag slips have shown slower times
Really? I wonder if the same goes for the dry filters?
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srohda View Post

Really? I wonder if the same goes for the dry filters?
Best off with paper filter in stock air box

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I installed the K&N, it fit perfectly, and only took about 4 hours to do. I prefer the K&N as it has a lid on the filter box, which eliminates any problem with water from the hood vents. Also changed to synthetic oil at the same time. When I installed the airbox, I removed the spacer to the front of the car so the air comes from inside the engine compartment. Having warmer air means that the air isn't as dense, so the same air/fuel ratio nets higher mpg. The car went from 18 mpg to 27.5 overnight.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
I installed the K&N, it fit perfectly, and only took about 4 hours to do. I prefer the K&N as it has a lid on the filter box, which eliminates any problem with water from the hood vents. Also changed to synthetic oil at the same time. When I installed the airbox, I removed the spacer to the front of the car so the air comes from inside the engine compartment. Having warmer air means that the air isn't as dense, so the same air/fuel ratio nets higher mpg. The car went from 18 mpg to 27.5 overnight.
Placebo effect, there's no way you gained ~55% fuel economy from a K&N filter. I presume you're referring to a CAI because I sure hope a drop in didn't take you 4 hrs to install (which is what I was referring to). The fuel economy is known to be rather inaccurate on these cars. That or maybe you changed your driving style.

Ford installed a CAI from the factory, most people show IAT's very close to ambient air temps with stock air box, so the air going into you motor will be very close to the same temp

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
That's the funniest thing I heard all week! Thank you, I needed a laugh.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

That's the funniest thing I heard all week! Thank you, I needed a laugh.
Haha for real...there is no way your avg MPG doubled with just a drop in filter...

Wait just read it again....I think he is being sarcastic haha....4 hours?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
When I installed the airbox, I removed the spacer to the front of the car so the air comes from inside the engine compartment. Having warmer air means that the air isn't as dense, so the same air/fuel ratio nets higher mpg. The car went from 18 mpg to 27.5 overnight.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
Mok
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on doing FI later on, does anyone here know if a CAI will add any additional tq/hp?
I'm planning on doing a vortec sc with boss IM and maybe a steeda CAI . Would like to hear some opinions/advice. Thanks everyone
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cai kits won't work with any fi kit. The fi kits have a specific air inlet.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If you plan on going F/I in the future just skip the CAI. Honestly, these CAI kits are good for an extra 3-5hp and increase engine noise and slight exhaust increase as well. They're more aesthetically pleasing but that's about it. If you want to get a CAI for the vortech the JLT makes a good blow thru or draw thru kit.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai