throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
throttle body

I need advice will a throttle body really work
ptwhital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
By itself no not really. But if you plan on modding other things, especially intake it will help out. But it wont really alone. I'd put that money towards gears first.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhital View Post
I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhital View Post
A TB by itself probably will not give you the best Bang For Your Buck. But if you coupled that with a tune, now your talking a whole different story. Your newer cars TB is controlled by the computer and less by your foot.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI
85mm that sounds huge lol well Iam glad it's working out for you
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg

85mm that sounds huge lol well Iam glad it's working out for you
Not on the new 5.0s lol
iLLRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLRedGT View Post
Not on the new 5.0s lol
that's what i was about to say...on 96-10 stangs just a TB wasn't much of anything but it seems for the '11+ it's a decent add on

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
There is too much contradictory evidence of tb really working or not working on the new 5.0. Better throttle response is about the only thing guaranteed by a different throttle body, but not so much on the power side of things

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.
The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that
+11. Down side is that without a tune you'll not really see the full benefits of a larger TB. And because the computer controls it, it will stay within its stock settings. You should still see a little better response but I wouldn't imagine much.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post

I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.
Do you have 3.73 gears?
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

4.10 gears
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.
Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Do you have 3.73 gears?
Yep.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..
So then you're saying there is no noticeable power gain? I agreed to the increased throttle response but most data has shown that power gains are negligible, and it seems as though you're saying the same.

I'm sure there is a better driving experience to be had from a bigger tb

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Most actual tests I've read generally shows about 5hp gain with just a TB. Some show a little more and some just a little less. But they all have shown better throttle response. So if your taking your car to the track, and more specifically AutoX, then your throttle response means everything. I do know when I put my TB on I can't honestly say I gained much in the HP department, but the throttle response was ten times better.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Just a T/B will add little performance by itself.
With a tune & some exhaust mods, there is some hp to be gained. I upgraded from a twin 65mm to the FRPP mon-blade. ( 65mm x 147mm ) There were no adjustments made to the DBW tables in the tune. The 2011 + up PCM's learn by driving, the dyno showed a 15hp gain, not bad for a bolt-on..

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

GT500 is completely different. The twin blade tb is a restriction point on the blown 5.4. Can't compare gains on that to gains on a NA coyote

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

we can go on and on and on about a TB, I am sure there is a gain but its only maybe 5hp, but.......if I can get 5 hp and 10 times bette,r smoother throttle response...? its well worth the money! the thing that gets me is I have a 85mm throttle body and I know what a difference it makes, but for some reason some people know all about it yet they dont have one actually on there car??? LOL

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

jetag93 and I both have these on our cars and we both have first hand experience driving our car with the 85 mm tb and both said it was a gain in hp and better throttle response but for some reason we are wrong?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
we can go on and on and on about a TB, I am sure there is a gain but its only maybe 5hp, but.......if I can get 5 hp and 10 times bette,r smoother throttle response...? its well worth the money! the thing that gets me is I have a 85mm throttle body and I know what a difference it makes, but for some reason some people know all about it yet they dont have one actually on there car??? LOL

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

jetag93 and I both have these on our cars and we both have first hand experience driving our car with the 85 mm tb and both said it was a gain in hp and better throttle response but for some reason we are wrong?
Nobody is saying your wrong. It's just that some people think that a TB alone will net them some big gain. And without a tune that's just not the case. Your TB is one of those things that is part of a long list of "systems" to make or break power. It's one of those things on a fully built motor that can be a choking point if its not big enough. Yet on a basic bolt on motor a stock TB can be almost as good.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I never said there was zero power gain. I said it was negligible, 5hp falls within a margin of error at the level of power our cars have, and I would definitely consider 5hp negligible. I never said you were wrong either. But there is ALOT of hard evidence proving little to no power gain, especially at the track. You do not have to argue for the increased throttle response. So far everyone has agreed on that.

I'm an engineer, I don't take anything at face value. Not should you or anyone else. Asking questions and asking for evidence is how we (all people, not just engineers) learn and prove or disprove something.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

im not going to the dyno everytime i add a mod, but I can drive a race car, been doing it my whole life and been around it my whole life and all im saying is all numbers and crap aside,.....a tb is an increase and a nice, very nice throttle response.....i cant say 5 or 10 hp but it feels good and noticeable....and I think for the money ive spent on my car... whats an extra 500.00 when it comes to hp, alot of the crap they sell does NOTHING.....CAI nothing without longtubes and everything else to go with it... but 5 hp is still 5 hp and take away 200lbs and add 100 hp on these cars and you have a dam fast car,,,,
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
For the guys with the aftermarket throttle bodies what were your track times before and after? That is the true test.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

nope its just my DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT