throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
ptwhital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: memphis
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 10
throttle body

I need advice will a throttle body really work
ptwhital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
By itself no not really. But if you plan on modding other things, especially intake it will help out. But it wont really alone. I'd put that money towards gears first.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jetag93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhital View Post
I need advice will a throttle body really work
I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.
__________________
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhital View Post
I need advice will a throttle body really work
A TB by itself probably will not give you the best Bang For Your Buck. But if you coupled that with a tune, now your talking a whole different story. Your newer cars TB is controlled by the computer and less by your foot.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI
85mm that sounds huge lol well Iam glad it's working out for you
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
iLLRedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alton
Region: Illinois
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg

85mm that sounds huge lol well Iam glad it's working out for you
Not on the new 5.0s lol
iLLRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLRedGT View Post
Not on the new 5.0s lol
that's what i was about to say...on 96-10 stangs just a TB wasn't much of anything but it seems for the '11+ it's a decent add on
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
There is too much contradictory evidence of tb really working or not working on the new 5.0. Better throttle response is about the only thing guaranteed by a different throttle body, but not so much on the power side of things
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.
The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that
+11. Down side is that without a tune you'll not really see the full benefits of a larger TB. And because the computer controls it, it will stay within its stock settings. You should still see a little better response but I wouldn't imagine much.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post

I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.
Do you have 3.73 gears?
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
4.10 gears
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.
Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jetag93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Do you have 3.73 gears?
Yep.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.
__________________
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..
So then you're saying there is no noticeable power gain? I agreed to the increased throttle response but most data has shown that power gains are negligible, and it seems as though you're saying the same.

I'm sure there is a better driving experience to be had from a bigger tb
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Most actual tests I've read generally shows about 5hp gain with just a TB. Some show a little more and some just a little less. But they all have shown better throttle response. So if your taking your car to the track, and more specifically AutoX, then your throttle response means everything. I do know when I put my TB on I can't honestly say I gained much in the HP department, but the throttle response was ten times better.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
1 Alibi 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hackettstown
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 718
Just a T/B will add little performance by itself.
With a tune & some exhaust mods, there is some hp to be gained. I upgraded from a twin 65mm to the FRPP mon-blade. ( 65mm x 147mm ) There were no adjustments made to the DBW tables in the tune. The 2011 + up PCM's learn by driving, the dyno showed a 15hp gain, not bad for a bolt-on..
.
__________________

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
.
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
GT500 is completely different. The twin blade tb is a restriction point on the blown 5.4. Can't compare gains on that to gains on a NA coyote
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
we can go on and on and on about a TB, I am sure there is a gain but its only maybe 5hp, but.......if I can get 5 hp and 10 times bette,r smoother throttle response...? its well worth the money! the thing that gets me is I have a 85mm throttle body and I know what a difference it makes, but for some reason some people know all about it yet they dont have one actually on there car??? LOL

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

jetag93 and I both have these on our cars and we both have first hand experience driving our car with the 85 mm tb and both said it was a gain in hp and better throttle response but for some reason we are wrong?
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
we can go on and on and on about a TB, I am sure there is a gain but its only maybe 5hp, but.......if I can get 5 hp and 10 times bette,r smoother throttle response...? its well worth the money! the thing that gets me is I have a 85mm throttle body and I know what a difference it makes, but for some reason some people know all about it yet they dont have one actually on there car??? LOL

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

jetag93 and I both have these on our cars and we both have first hand experience driving our car with the 85 mm tb and both said it was a gain in hp and better throttle response but for some reason we are wrong?
Nobody is saying your wrong. It's just that some people think that a TB alone will net them some big gain. And without a tune that's just not the case. Your TB is one of those things that is part of a long list of "systems" to make or break power. It's one of those things on a fully built motor that can be a choking point if its not big enough. Yet on a basic bolt on motor a stock TB can be almost as good.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
we can go on and on and on about a TB, I am sure there is a gain but its only maybe 5hp, but.......if I can get 5 hp and 10 times bette,r smoother throttle response...? its well worth the money! the thing that gets me is I have a 85mm throttle body and I know what a difference it makes, but for some reason some people know all about it yet they dont have one actually on there car??? LOL

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

jetag93 and I both have these on our cars and we both have first hand experience driving our car with the 85 mm tb and both said it was a gain in hp and better throttle response but for some reason we are wrong?
I never said there was zero power gain. I said it was negligible, 5hp falls within a margin of error at the level of power our cars have, and I would definitely consider 5hp negligible. I never said you were wrong either. But there is ALOT of hard evidence proving little to no power gain, especially at the track. You do not have to argue for the increased throttle response. So far everyone has agreed on that.

I'm an engineer, I don't take anything at face value. Not should you or anyone else. Asking questions and asking for evidence is how we (all people, not just engineers) learn and prove or disprove something.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
im not going to the dyno everytime i add a mod, but I can drive a race car, been doing it my whole life and been around it my whole life and all im saying is all numbers and crap aside,.....a tb is an increase and a nice, very nice throttle response.....i cant say 5 or 10 hp but it feels good and noticeable....and I think for the money ive spent on my car... whats an extra 500.00 when it comes to hp, alot of the crap they sell does NOTHING.....CAI nothing without longtubes and everything else to go with it... but 5 hp is still 5 hp and take away 200lbs and add 100 hp on these cars and you have a dam fast car,,,,
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
For the guys with the aftermarket throttle bodies what were your track times before and after? That is the true test.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 441
nope its just my DD
__________________
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:37 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.