Procharger, Vortech, Paxton - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
To truly make the best setup for something like this, you need to have staged supercharging, not staged drive. That's what aircraft engine designers figured out long ago. Just changing the impeller speed worked ok but, really, you needed to change the a/r and or impeller shape for max efficiency and power at different altitudes (which was what they were looking for).

What this does is speed up or slow down the impeller but, the a/r doesn't change so, there is only so much that can be done here.

Will it work? Yeah, it'll likely give a broader spread of power than a blower with a fixed step-up but at the cost of tuning challenges should you waver from what the factory tune specifies in terms of your engine's volumetric efficiency and high technical complication and the attendant increased risk for failures.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
That have been testing and work on the I-1 for over 4 years. I'm sure the have worked out any problems and bugs that could cause problems!! I understand that its something new to the supercharger world and there's alot of questions about it'. That's why I set up a time to visit Procharger and go over the I-1and possibly, if happy with the I-1 let them install one on my car and take my car around to car shows and exhibitions!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
That have been testing and work on the I-1 for over 4 years. I'm sure the have worked out any problems and bugs that could cause problems!! I understand that its something new to the supercharger world and there's alot of questions about it'. That's why I set up a time to visit Procharger and go over the I-1and possibly, if happy with the I-1 let them install one on my car and take my car around to car shows and exhibitions!
well lucky you...I would do that in a heartbeat if they let me.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
To truly make the best setup for something like this, you need to have staged supercharging, not staged drive. That's what aircraft engine designers figured out long ago. Just changing the impeller speed worked ok but, really, you needed to change the a/r and or impeller shape for max efficiency and power at different altitudes (which was what they were looking for).

What this does is speed up or slow down the impeller but, the a/r doesn't change so, there is only so much that can be done here.

Will it work? Yeah, it'll likely give a broader spread of power than a blower with a fixed step-up but at the cost of tuning challenges should you waver from what the factory tune specifies in terms of your engine's volumetric efficiency and high technical complication and the attendant increased risk for failures.
Not kidding, I saw something on military channel about this; how the US finally broke speed barriers. You are referring to turbines I believe

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

Not kidding, I saw something on military channel about this; how the US finally broke speed barriers. You are referring to turbines In jet engines i believe and they figured this out in the 50s
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No, I'm referring to IC engines and supercharging. 1930s and 40s.

first, impeller speeds on the supercharger were altered by adjusting the drive speed hydraulically or mechanically and that worked ok. What really worked was having staged superchargers that allowed for a proper A/R and impeller design for the air density at altitudes.

This isn't immensely practical in a car application and, once again, it isn't really needed, as the range of air density change is narrow. Basically, if you're contemplating a staged S/C system, staging the drive is really the only option, unless you're going turbo, because you can stage TCs more easily, like on the 2008 135i and 335i. That staging is more needed in a car application, as turbos don't have step up ratios and run only mostly off the power of expansion of exhaust gases. With staging, you can have a little pinner for low-end torque and a big fat doughnut for high rpm/load flow.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
See this is te only possible reason for getting this supercharger I could think of. Honestly I dont want to have boost before 3k rpm or whatever else it does. I would want a Paxton because when normal driving there is no more stress on the engine. I mean if you can see your way clear then go for it but if I had 9-10k to drop on a power adder I'm going turbo not any kind of supercharger, this may spark a new debate and I admit I have a limited knowledge but there arnt many if any superchargers of any kind that will out perform a turbo.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to disagree with you on that!! When your tubi gets heat soaked and I-1 continues with pulling cool air.. We'll see which one has the power!
As for the I-1the super charger comes with the hand held control for street app, race , and custom so it's not like your going to have boost at 1500 RPM! You can set to what ever RPM YOU WANT YOUR BOOST TO KICK IN!! If you track race or auto cross, you'll want the lower rpm boost, on the strip, yea, you'll want the higher RPM BOOST. You can tune the supercharger to how your going to drive you car at that time!! It's still new and there is alot to learn about it!!!
You can also change the boost pressure! It doesn't change the angle of the fins, the stay the same!! It's like changing the pulley on a whipple or Eaton supercharger, except you can change it on the fly!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Idk I guess it's just me then but I just don't see how I could do a Paxton kit+clutch+full exhaust and I might still have some left for the same price as just this great supercharger. It can't be that much better IMHO
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone one thinks the price will be out of hand! But I don't think it's going to be that bad!! The person at Procharger said that they don't want to overprice them or they won't sell, but try and keep the price down compared to too of line supercharger s and turbos!!!! But just have to wait and see!!
I don't think it's going to change the whole way supercharger s are used!! The Paxton is a great mod!! But when it's installed and you use it for a couple of months, you stil have the same out come everyday!! But the I-1. You can change your out put to full out racing HP, or for road race power, or just street out put and make that hiway run fun, and not burn all that gas!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just watched a youtube video on the I-1. That thing seems pretty nuts!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have looked at the I-1 and it seems like you get a lot more performance for a stage II kit at a lot less money.
tarupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT