Roush axleback and JBA H-pipe review wanted - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Roush axleback and JBA H-pipe review wanted

Stock exhaust all the way to the roush AB so far, but I'm looking to replace the stock H for something a little more free flowing. After reading mixed reviews on every x or h pipe I could find I decided I like the JBA. Im not planning on going catless just yet, and I like how the JBA has the bolt on test pipes to remove them later. I've heard the x-pipes tone down the roush exhaust a little, which I do not want. I want, if anything, for it to sound similar but maybe louder so I'm thinking H pipe instead. Does anyone run this set-up? Search isn't showing me anything and neither was YouTube.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Stock exhaust all the way to the roush AB so far, but I'm looking to replace the stock H for something a little more free flowing. After reading mixed reviews on every x or h pipe I could find I decided I like the JBA. Im not planning on going catless just yet, and I like how the JBA has the bolt on test pipes to remove them later. I've heard the x-pipes tone down the roush exhaust a little, which I do not want. I want, if anything, for it to sound similar but maybe louder so I'm thinking H pipe instead. Does anyone run this set-up? Search isn't showing me anything and neither was YouTube.
I have only had the roush with stock everything and then with JBA O/R X and let me warn you, it is loud and always loud and did I mention loud?

I doubt the x pipe will tone the rush down with the cats still on it will just make it far raspier.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

X pipe is just gonna give it rasp and won't tone it down.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I have been wondering the same, have been searching for a very long time and have yet to find a video.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a crappy vid I made last summer right after i had the headers and Catted X installed.. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, compairing X and H pipes.
Skpi to about 40 sec mark, I think that is when i started it..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
Here is a crappy vid I made last summer right after i had the headers and Catted X installed.. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, compairing X and H pipes.
Skpi to about 40 sec mark, I think that is when i started it..
That thing sounds like a monster!

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Well from what you guys are telling me, the x-pipe sounds more like what I want then. A close friend of mine has no cats, o/r x-pipe and the borla ATAK ABs and it sounds amazing. It's too loud to even stand behind the car when he takes off however. Closest thing I can compare it to, volume wise, is running open long tubes on my lightning.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That thing sounds like a monster!

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Well from what you guys are telling me, the x-pipe sounds more like what I want then. A close friend of mine has no cats, o/r x-pipe and the borla ATAK ABs and it sounds amazing. It's too loud to even stand behind the car when he takes off however. Closest thing I can compare it to, volume wise, is running open long tubes on my lightning.
Just be for warned that if you follow him but do the roush it will be louder than his while cruising but not WOT. It also will be very raspy while his will be very deep and rumbly.

I say this having gone from the JBA O/R X with roush to changing to the Borla S-Types.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Just be for warned that if you follow him but do the roush it will be louder than his while cruising but not WOT. It also will be very raspy while his will be very deep and rumbly.

I say this having gone from the JBA O/R X with roush to changing to the Borla S-Types.
So basically what you are saying is that there is no way to keep the roush axleback and go catless at the same time unless you want to deal with an obnoxious exhaust note? I don't plan on going catless in the near future because my car has a 100k warranty and not even 1/10th of that mileage yet. I want, at least, the 36k warranty to expire before I do major upgrades. So I guess maybe I could just get the H-pipe and be a guinea pig. Atleast that way everyone else could know how it sounds.. Then I'll ditch the roush axleback when I go catless down the line.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So basically what you are saying is that there is no way to keep the roush axleback and go catless at the same time unless you want to deal with an obnoxious exhaust note? I don't plan on going catless in the near future because my car has a 100k warranty and not even 1/10th of that mileage yet. I want, at least, the 36k warranty to expire before I do major upgrades. So I guess maybe I could just get the H-pipe and be a guinea pig. Atleast that way everyone else could know how it sounds.. Then I'll ditch the roush axleback when I go catless down the line.
I don't want to tell you what you will or won't like, just giving my experience having been there. I liked the roush sound with the o/r X as it isn't a bad sound, but it wasn't a sound I thought a muscle car should have. Very nascar like. It droned something bad at 2K RPM which the Borla don't do period and the roush didn't do with the cats. It was also just loud from from Idle on up. If I wanted to be quiet and cruise and not worry about cops coming after me or people being in the car being annoyed, just wasn't doable.

You can do exactly what you said. That is the nice things. You can get the H pipe from JBA, install it, when ready pull the cats out, and honestly if the sound with the Roush is too much and you don't like it or can't stand it, get different mufflers. Exactly what I did. Seeing how the Roush are in sound just in general I don't think the H pipe when removing the cats will save them from being raspy, but then again I haven't heard them too tell ya. I can tell you that the Borla will be deeper in sound than the Roush will ever be and the Borla on an H would be a tad bit crazy. My car already just rattles everything. Standing behind the car when it is cold idling is crazy, feels like a sub is hitting hard and just shaking your body.

That is the problem with videos, you'll never get that part of them. The roush never had that deep rumbling bass feeling and sound the Borla do. While I admit the videos show a difference, it is nothing like actually be there hearing both in person.

So at the end of the day, you'll have to judge what you like! I was just pointing out if you like the Borla sound, your roush will never have that.

All honesty I would sell the Roush and not drop 300 bucks on the JBA yet and save up an extra hundred or 2 and get the Borlas instead. They are still far louder than the Roush stock for stock. You also already like the borla sound.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well I do like the borla alot also. I have a borla exhaust on my lightning and it has that rumble that feels like it gets inside your head. I guess I'll have to upgrade to borlas one day, but seeing as how I have a decent exhaust already I can spend that $800 elsewhere. Been thinking about the 13 gt500 wheels recently, but I would have to see them on a white car with no stripes first. Oh well, that's a whole different thread lol
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yep, what he say... I tried the O/R Xpipe before getting the LT's and catted X..
I like it way better now..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Roush with OR xpipe ive heard is loud.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT