Are there any "free mods" for the '13 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Are there any "free mods" for the '13 5.0?

I havent run across any "free mods" for the new 5.0, and I was just wondering if anyone had come across any. I have done a few small things to my new 5.0 already, but just like any other gearhead, if there is a little trick to squeeze that extra horse or two out of the powerplant then I want to know. Also are there any problems with these so far that I should be aware of while I mod with the usual bolt ons, such as the cooling problem with the 4 valve modular 4.6 driver side head? (had a few of those and had to get coolant relocation setup to keep from warping and overheating driver side head)

I have a JLT CAI, BAMA XF3 tuner, Borla Axleback. In the VERY near future im going to install the Boss 302 intake, Ceramic Long Tubes, Off road X-Pipes, 90mm Throttle body, Accel Coil Packs, 3:73's from 3:31's, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Better Springs (havent decided yet, any input on the best ones would be great), Lower Control Arms (again havent decided on which one), Underdrive Pullies, and Obviously rims and tires.

Knowing these are my plans, are there any tips, concerns, or problems to watch for with having any or all of these mods? I'm obviously not worried about the warranty, just worried about the car. Thanks guys and love the forum
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmaniac01 View Post
I havent run across any "free mods" for the new 5.0, and I was just wondering if anyone had come across any. I have done a few small things to my new 5.0 already, but just like any other gearhead, if there is a little trick to squeeze that extra horse or two out of the powerplant then I want to know. Also are there any problems with these so far that I should be aware of while I mod with the usual bolt ons, such as the cooling problem with the 4 valve modular 4.6 driver side head? (had a few of those and had to get coolant relocation setup to keep from warping and overheating driver side head)

I have a JLT CAI, BAMA XF3 tuner, Borla Axleback. In the VERY near future im going to install the Boss 302 intake, Ceramic Long Tubes, Off road X-Pipes, 90mm Throttle body, Accel Coil Packs, 3:73's from 3:31's, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Better Springs (havent decided yet, any input on the best ones would be great), Lower Control Arms (again havent decided on which one), Underdrive Pullies, and Obviously rims and tires.

Knowing these are my plans, are there any tips, concerns, or problems to watch for with having any or all of these mods? I'm obviously not worried about the warranty, just worried about the car. Thanks guys and love the forum
Skip the UD pullies... causes a lot of headaches.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Udps are not made for the coyote. Aftermarket COP's do nothing for these cars. I recommend skipping those, otherwise mod list seems pretty good.

No, there aren't really any "free mods" except for weight savings. Take out the spare tire, jack, rear seat, passenger seat, and anything else that will help save weight

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
90 mm TB might be a little to big even will the intake and headers I would just go with 85.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
90mm TB cause headaches with a lot of the tuners. Want a good free mod? Drive more, I heard experience will help you go faster...
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
90 mm TB might be a little to big even will the intake and headers I would just go with 85.
^ This. I would also say no larger than 1-3/4" headers for your application, as well. OP did say he wanted to extract every ounce of horsepower he can get, so I guess COP's may net him a few extra ponies.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wouldn't do the acel coilpacks either. If we are talking about the something. 400$ price point fish and apparently next to no gain in performance.

I looked at them once until I started reading around the web. No one recommends them as a worth your money mod.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The OEM COPs are just as powerful and last longer than the aftermarket crap out there. It will net you zero.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
F'n Awesome man. Great Meme.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thx lol i was hoping nobody would get offended i just tou it was funny
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #12

Region: Texas
Love the meme, thanks for the input guys, if I'm missing anything that could be thrown in the mix of mods, besides forced induction which will come later, or spray please let me know.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Love the meme, thanks for the input guys, if I'm missing anything that could be thrown in the mix of mods, besides forced induction which will come later, or spray please let me know.
Your Mod list looks stout so far. If you're interested in running a 90mm TB, definitely stick with a Ford Racing TB. We've found the drive-by-wire is a lot less finicky with the Ford Racing TB than other manufactures.

Also, if you're going to be lowering the ride height, I highly suggesting an ADJ Panhard bar. This will help center your rear axle again, after the suspension geometry is changed. That's just the bar minimum, though. With all of that power, you're going to want more suspension mods to help hook up the rear tires!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
If you're interested in running a 90mm TB, definitely stick with a Ford Racing TB. We've found the drive-by-wire is a lot less finicky with the Ford Racing TB than other manufactures.
Interesting
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There is no such thing as a free mod....they all cost. Even the free ones.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

As others said, ditch the COPs and TB. The gains are minimal for a bolt-on car. I could definitely see them being useful for squeezing the last few HP out of a highly modded car with power adders, but in your case it's almost certainly overkill.

Also, coming from someone who has done pretty much everything you said above, and replaced the entire suspension, my advice would be to do your mods in the reverse order listed above. If I could start over, I would have not spent a dime on drivetrain mods until I had completely sorted out the suspension. The power levels of the Coyote in stock trim are more than enough to completely overwhelm every individual component of the stock suspension.

I would start out with wider wheels and grippy summer tires (keep your stockers for winter duty if you live somewhere it gets below 40 degrees and don't have a daily driver). From there I would add struts, springs, and strut mounts. It's easiest to do this all at once, and if you get 05-09 struts you can use the GT500/FRPP strut mounts which are way better than the stock 11-14 mounts (which will probably need replaced as part of a strut install). As Shane said, you will probably need an adjustable panhard bar to center the body over the rear axle after lowering the car. If you're going to have a shop do a full alignment, now would also be a good time to install an adjustable upper control arm to correct the pinion angle as well. Lower control arms will help tie this all together and keep the rear end planted on the ground during launch and cornering.

I think you will be amazed at how much faster the car will be without adding any power, and once you get this all sorted out then you can start adding more juice. I would start with a tune, and from there work on the exhaust. The Boss IM is a somewhat controversial mod. Some love it, some hate it. The bottom line is you will see no gains on the street or track if you aren't revving the crap out of your engine. The gains below 4k RPM are negligible, but past there it starts to make a difference. I'm not saying that the Boss IM is a bad choice, just make sure it fits your goals and use of the car. I can also tell you from personal experience that I had major issues with the JLT CAI and the Boss IM, and I ultimately reverted to the stock airbox with the Boss inlet tube (can order from any of the online ford dealers such as Tousley or get from your parts counter).

Finally, stay away from the UDP. These were great on the older modular issues, but could cause some serious issues on the Coyote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT