New to stick shift - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
New to stick shift

Does anybody have any tips for getting smoother shifts
GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT fanatic View Post
Does anybody have any tips for getting smoother shifts
Practice, practice, and more practice
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

+1, when I started driving stick I sucked at it. Stalled it all the time... Now whenever I get in an auto it feels weird because there is no clutch pedal and shifter.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

+1, when I started driving stick I sucked at it. Stalled it all the time... Now whenever I get in an auto it feels weird because there is no clutch pedal and shifter.
Lmao I was driving my girls auto Mazda 3 last week, had to cut into traffic real quick coming from a stop, I near floored it, let go of the gas pedal, and slammed my left foot to the floor, she starting dying laughing at me, completely forgot I was in an auto!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Try letting off the clutch a little slower while shifting to smooth out the shifts.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I learned in my Dads old Ranger. Without touching the gas pedal, he had me ease off the clutch and get the truck rolling in first gear from a stop. I did that in a parking lot for about 10 minutes and then shifting was a piece of cake.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Practice is good, but only if you're practicing doing something right. This is kinda hard to explain online, your best bet would be to find a friend or family member who could ride with you and give you tips on what you're doing. It's hard to know what you're doing wrong, if you can't tell us what you're doing wrong - make sense?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea ease off the clutch pedal, if you think it's going to stall on you put the clutch back down
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you're talking about shifting when you're already moving, get on the gas a little earlier when you're letting the clutch out. If you let the clutch out all the way or almost all the way before you get back on the gas it'll be really rough. At least that's how it is in my '13.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I learned in my Dads old Ranger. Without touching the gas pedal, he had me ease off the clutch and get the truck rolling in first gear from a stop. I did that in a parking lot for about 10 minutes and then shifting was a piece of cake.
Exactly how I taught my little brother and my GF how to drive a stuck.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I got better by keeping the gas at the same spot and letting the clutch out very very slowly. It may be a slower start and longer time to reach when you need to shift but once you find the sweet spot and practice, it's muscle memory! Good luck!
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly how I was taught in my buddies jeep when I was 14
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Is it the same for take offs or is there an easier or quicker way to take off because sometimes I feel like I'm taking off like an old lady at a red light
GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
lts a practice thing best way is to remain calm at all time listen to the motor ease the clutch out and when you start to feel it grab give it a tiny bit of gas (this will prevent stall) once it grabs then ease out clutch all the way.As far as shifting its all about how easy you engage and disenage the clutch if you let the clutch out fast when starting out it will buck and stall if you let the clutch out fast when shifting it will also buck.Just take your time and learn to listen to the engine in combination of clutch and throttle it will come to you.Be patient!!
93GTVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT fanatic View Post
Is it the same for take offs or is there an easier or quicker way to take off because sometimes I feel like I'm taking off like an old lady at a red light
It just takes practice, you can let the clutch out a little faster if you give it more gas. But don't give it too much to where you just peel out. Its all about finding that perfect balance... Just wait about a week and you won't even think about it anymore, you will become so used to it that it will feel awkward driving an automatic.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Thats how i learned, but it was a little different since it was a corvette with a stiff clutch.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

And something you can do at lights to make it so you aren't granny accelerating, is leave a little bit of room in front of the car in front of you, and if you know the light is going to change soon just start to let it out super slow and start to engage the clutch, when the light turns then you should be at a point where you can just let the clutch out and give it gas.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
^Good advice, I leave almost a car's length between me and the next car at a light/stop sign. I know I have the power to close any gap when we get rolling, it gives you more room to preload for a faster start and plus, if you use your mirrors all the time, you may be able to avoid a potential accident, because you've left yourself room to maneuver. (I'll never understand tailgaiting. It can only end badly for the tailgater.)
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT