2013 GT 6/MT clutch Grind - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2013 GT 6/MT clutch Grind

2013 - GT 6/MT, 4430 miles at about 10 months and have been having some mild notchiness clutch grinding for a while now. It comes and goes. Thought it might just have to break in more and eventually sort itself out.

I NEVER abuse my car or even run it hard except for a nice trip down the fast lane occasionally with no traffic and of course the radar detector. I'm still breaking it in you might say.
Well I have been driving manual transmissions for over 30 years (All but one of my cars have been manuals) and yes I do press the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor on every shift, but sometimes it misbehaves and wants to grind just a little or feels overly notchy going through espescially Neutral to 1st and also 1st to 2nd gears.
Sometimes I have to press the clutch a second time for cooperation. Sometimes just to get into 1st gear in the mornings I have to shift through the other gears first to get into 1st. Not all the time, that is what's troubling.
Anybody else have this problems. It seems worst when it's very cold outside.
I had the car in for the 5000 mile service today, but failed to mention it because, I figured they were not going to duplicate the events anyway or if they did I would lose my car for a week and they would dismantle my brand new GT and perhaps make it worse.
Suggestions or experiences would be appreciated

Thank You
Any suggestions.
Greg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I haven't heard of this problem on the 13 gt.
This has not happened to me I got 8,000m so far.
How long has it been happening for ?
Delacruz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I guess, since about 2K miles or so. A few months ago. I noticed especially in the middle of those few 20 to 30 degree days it seemed worse.
Man, when I first took delivery I couldn't wipe the smile off my face I was so pleased with how smooth the clutch pedal and shifting were. Just the perfect amount of notchiness for my tastes. How could anyone change to a shorter throw shifter (unless you take it to the track I guess). This is the shortest throw shifter of any of many manual cars. My Bimmer had fairly long throws which I never really took a shine to. Anyway, now and then you can hear and feel it grind just a little as you shift. I think just upshifting though. I have to pay more attention and start documenting in case it has to go for service.
Thanks for your fast reply and you help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3 View Post
I guess, since about 2K miles or so. A few months ago. I noticed especially in the middle of those few 20 to 30 degree days it seemed worse.
Man, when I first took delivery I couldn't wipe the smile off my face I was so pleased with how smooth the clutch pedal and shifting were. Just the perfect amount of notchiness for my tastes. How could anyone change to a shorter throw shifter (unless you take it to the track I guess). This is the shortest throw shifter of any of many manual cars. My Bimmer had fairly long throws which I never really took a shine to. Anyway, now and then you can hear and feel it grind just a little as you shift. I think just upshifting though. I have to pay more attention and start documenting in case it has to go for service.
Thanks for your fast reply and you help...
mine almost always grinds 5th gear the first drive if it is really cold out. I keep the car in 4th driving down the hill from my house long as possible without getting the RPMs high to warm the engine up first then 5th gear goes with no issue.

I also wonder if it is your shifter bracket. The stock one is terribad. I am going to replace my shifter here shortly and can't wait to see if the 5th gear issue goes away once I get rid of the sloppy stock shifter bracket.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Are u experiencing this when the car is cold?? U have let is warm up first, I'm talking shift at 1200-1500 until the synchros lube up.... I've taken that precaution, and can avoid that 3rd gear grind I get when it's cold...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Greg, I'm just about your age,(i wish)
And its not normal. I too think the stock shifter is a short throw. I upgraded my 05 and hated it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah right, I NEVER had such a short throw shifter and love this one and the clutch pedal feel. I've seen so many YouTube videos where they were changing out there entire complete shifters for the even shorter Barton shifters and some swear by them.
Well, we shall see what happens. Maybe I WILL bring it back in to the Ford Service Dept and have them take a look. Hey, maybe it's just needs and adjustment or like NosSympathy said, it's that flimsy bracket I've seen on the YouTube videos. I'll tell you something, that Barton bracket is day and night a more solid and quality looking bracket than Fords. It reminds me of a two hole tubing/fence strap. Maybe, I should just change the bracket.
I will try your suggestion too, GTStyles2. I mean it does get worse in the cold, so I'll give it a shot. I have experimented with the RPMs to, but didn't really notice, because again sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. So it's hard to troubleshoot. I better get it checked out though while I still have a warrantee.
I don't want to tell you how much my BMW cost me over the years right after the warrantee ran out, because I might cause you to become sick or think I am insane.
Take care gentleman,
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #8

Mine was doing the same thing. I'm a Ford Certified Master tech, I ran an oasis report and there us a TSB to replace the trans fluid for this concern. You will have to check with your dealer to run your VIN and see if the TSB applies to your car also. The TSB number is 11-11-1. If it does not apply have them take it for a ride with you, even if its not duplicated they can send a mesege to Ford Hotline and see what to do next.
FordTech5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah right, I NEVER had such a short throw shifter and love this one and the clutch pedal feel. I've seen so many YouTube videos where they were changing out there entire complete shifters for the even shorter Barton shifters and some swear by them.
Well, we shall see what happens. Maybe I WILL bring it back in to the Ford Service Dept and have them take a look. Hey, maybe it's just needs and adjustment or like NosSympathy said, it's that flimsy bracket I've seen on the YouTube videos. I'll tell you something, that Barton bracket is day and night a more solid and quality looking bracket than Fords. It reminds me of a two hole tubing/fence strap. Maybe, I should just change the bracket.
I will try your suggestion too, GTStyles2. I mean it does get worse in the cold, so I'll give it a shot. I have experimented with the RPMs to, but didn't really notice, because again sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. So it's hard to troubleshoot. I better get it checked out though while I still have a warrantee.
I don't want to tell you how much my BMW cost me over the years right after the warrantee ran out, because I might cause you to become sick or think I am insane.
Take care gentleman,
I love the clutch on the 13 it's so smooth and it's a really short shift compared to my friends Honda and Subaru .

It could be because it is cold where you live. Hopefully it goes away.
Delacruz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine is very notchy going into 2nd. My girlfriend even complains when she hears it and tells me I should bring it in. My car is under warranty but currently I'm storage for the winter. I will bring it in when I taken it out and probably buy an extended drive train warranty from Ford.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech5.0 View Post
Mine was doing the same thing. I'm a Ford Certified Master tech, I ran an oasis report and there us a TSB to replace the trans fluid for this concern. You will have to check with your dealer to run your VIN and see if the TSB applies to your car also. The TSB number is 11-11-1. If it does not apply have them take it for a ride with you, even if its not duplicated they can send a mesege to Ford Hotline and see what to do next.
He's got a '13 so he has the DCT fluid in the trans already, since ~Job 2 '12s. You should know this, given your position.

Getting a better shifter bracket may moderate the issue somewhat, as may changing to a fluid like Redline MTL or MT-90....

If it's occurring only when cold and it goes away, then a fluid change may solve the issue. If it's happening only around left turns, a shifter bracket may aid the situation. If it's happening any other way, then likely you have some intrnal issues.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech5.0 View Post

WO !!!!! Just the person I need to talk to
Sorry about the abrupt interuption
But I'am having A sloppy clutch feel too where the pedal doesnt always come back and i have to pull it with my left foot,
Could this be the pressure plate ?

Btw, Just had My Stang serviced for Re Tightning of the CAM CAP BOLTS to eliviate the infamous TICK
under the drivers side valve cover. And it actually worked

Do These Bolts hold the cam phasers in alignment ?
Thanks

And Thanks for joining
Youve got Major clout being a Master Ford Tech
The Real Deal !!
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
WO !!!!! Just the person I need to talk to
Sorry about the abrupt interuption
But I'am having A sloppy clutch feel too where the pedal doesnt always come back and i have to pull it with my left foot,
Could this be the pressure plate ?

Btw, Just had My Stang serviced for Re Tightning of the CAM CAP BOLTS to eliviate the infamous TICK
under the drivers side valve cover. And it actually worked

Do These Bolts hold the cam phasers in alignment ?
Thanks

And Thanks for joining
Youve got Major clout being a Master Ford Tech
The Real Deal !!
Hmmm...let's make sure Ford's TSBs etc. actually apply to your vehicle before we break out the champagne.

The sloppy clutch feel could be a PP issue but, PP issues with bolts backing out were also solved by the time the '12 cars were released.

Could also be a clutch helper spring issue...google that, including your vehicle name and you'll certainly find out what I'm talking about. Could also be a bit of air in the clutch hydro line. Needs looking at, for certain, especially if you can replicate the issue.

Cam cap bolts loose? That'd be a major assembly issue with the engine. No...they don't hold the phasers in alignment, they hold the camshafts to the top of the cylinder heads. A CF like that should get somebody in engine assembly fired.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

OK, back to the origin of these posts ( 2013 GT/MT clutch grind ) ! I'm here at Ford Service right now getting my fog lamp repaired, and I tell the service advisor I will have to make another appointment for another time for a tech test drive, because my shifter has been giving me minor problems shifting from 1st to second and EH!, that's where the the guys head started bobbing up and down like one of those Bob Heads you put on your dash (not Mine) and interupts me and says, Yes, I know, we have had quite few complaints about it and to just keep driving the car and see if it eventually breaks in. The Ford Company is well aware of the situation and looking into it. @2011-012 clutch problems all over again it seems after they supposedly had addressed and fixed all these earlier problems.
Well thank goodness it's only some minor balking and a slight grind now and then.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
OK, back to the origin of these posts ( 2013 GT/MT clutch grind ) ! I'm here at Ford Service right now getting my fog lamp repaired, and I tell the service advisor I will have to make another appointment for another time for a tech test drive, because my shifter has been giving me minor problems shifting from 1st to second and EH!, that's where the the guys head started bobbing up and down like one of those Bob Heads you put on your dash (not Mine) and interupts me and says, Yes, I know, we have had quite few complaints about it and to just keep driving the car and see if it eventually breaks in. The Ford Company is well aware of the situation and looking into it. @2011-012 clutch problems all over again it seems after they supposedly had addressed and fixed all these earlier problems.
Well thank goodness it's only some minor balking and a slight grind now and then.
I've just started to notice a problem going to 2nd as well.. I sometimes have to fight it to get it to go in gear. It's not consistent though. When it does it it sounds and feels like something is grinding.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A shifter bracket (and a decent knob, if you have the thumb) is your best friend to start. It's also easily returned to stock if the issue is internal.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's it KARgt13. That's the exact scenario as my 13 GT/MT. Intermittent and never has gotten any worse (or better) yet. I will wait it out for a while as Ford suggested and see about changing the shifter bracket maybe as 5LHO suggests, but the aluminum ball shifter knob stays! The service adviser says to just wait it out a while and if doesn't go away bring it in and they'll look at it. Personally, I don't think they really have a solution right now, so we shall wait it out and hey, you never know. It seemed to me as if he kind of, sort of was trying to evade the entire question.
Ciao
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I got...drive it another thousand....ok....it got alot worse and probably ended up costing more to fix than if they'd jumped on it but, hey, what did I know, I'm just a dumb**** auto shop teacher.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Man, you get timed out so fast on the site.
Hey 5LHO, you must of went to the same Dealer I went to. Yeah, take it out for another 1000 miles and we'll see what happens. To say that, they obviously don't have much of and idea of what the prolem or solution is. That Dumb **** Auto Shop teacher gave me a good laugh today after my little fiasco at the Dealership with the Mysterious fog lamp that didn't work, but then it did work.
Have a nice night...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I knew what was wrong, most likely, the instant the trans started whining. I said to mahself, "Self, that be a change in the relationship between the main and countershaft, since it be happening in all gears, I be betting on the input or countershaft bearings." Turns out after much denial, claims to normalcy, extensive investigations with the chassis ears, when the trans was disassembled, the IP shaft front bearing was what started the frag fest inside the case.

I was polite enough to not say, "I told you so, you idiots."...in the dealership, at least....they were holding my car hostage at the time, after all.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You just made my frigging brain dizzy, man. I'm an electrician by trade and I think I will stick with that. This intricate auto stuff make me dizzy!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search.png
Views:	171
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	96260

[/thread]
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Welcome back! Priceless. Best comment ever! LOL
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

bwahaha, ******...we were just starting to enjoy ourselves over here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT