Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ghost cam tune

141K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  natestang07 
#1 ·
Hey guys sry if i am asking a stupid question but i am new to the 5.0 and i was wondering what this ghost tune is? What it requires?if its bad car the car and where i can get it? Thanks guys

#3 ·
nosympathy has it right on. There's no damaging effects of the Ghost Cam tune, just poor gas mileage. Also, you're required to have an O/R mid-pipe and manual transmission if interested in our Bama Performance version.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

Shane

#4 ·
Shane is all over it tonight! Love AM! They are te best!

#8 ·
I had never heard of the ghost tune, so that is kind of awesome. I have a ton of catching up to do with the new stuff; I had been Fox body only for so long that I haven't realized how kind of awesome the new technology is haha.

#11 ·
performance gains I am not sure. I have not researched them that far. Mainly because if I do that I without a doubt void any chance of a warranty on my car. My dealer is pretty cool but they said no to changing the cams. I don't blame them honestly.

it shouldn't affect mpg as the cams are just causing the cylinders to fire in a different pattern and cause the lope. Unlike the tune that is dumping unburnt gas and messing with the timing tables to cause the pretend lope. That is why Bama doesn't offer it for cars with cats as it dumps a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust and could damage stock cats.

I say could as it may not, but there is a chance. I think a few of the other places will write the tunes if you have cats.

now that I look for them can't find any cams that cause loping for the 5.0 but I know it has been done and they exist. Shop down the street from me did cams on a 5.0 that caused lope. I forget what brand they use, will have too find out again.

#16 ·
you need an off road X-pipe, not over axle pipe. X pipe does not touch your axle back flowmasters.

#18 ·
yep- got long tubes on my car

#21 ·
it looks the same as the boss splitter, but's is actually the MRT splitter. It requires the GT/CS front valance (as does the Boss splitter).

#23 ·
I've read on other forums that the "ghost tune" as mentioned by AMShaneLesky produces raw unburned fuel, which over a long period of time and idle, can cause damage to the cats, causing them to perhaps clog.

Truth or myth? In any event, it would seem to me that this tune is only for a sound effect, and therefor I just don't get it...

#24 ·
I would have to assume that this is the reason that you can only get the Ghost Cam Tune for cars with the Off-Road X-pipe (no cats).

#26 ·
Yea you're correct. The excess fuel will cause the cats to have a short lifespan. I got rid of my cats about a month after I got the car but with the auto I guess I'll have to put in a converter to get the cam idle tune. I'm not going in the engine for cams b/c the $ vs. hp gain is nowhere worth it at this point.

#27 ·
Yeah, it is a "sound only" deal, but I am totally fine with the GCT on my car- it really draws attention at shows and other events, not to mention stoplights. When I drive in, I see people looking at it like "wtf, that's like a new car but it sounds wicked..." When I want to take a longer road trip, (I drove it from Milwaukee to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC and back last summer) I just put the other 93 octane tune (smooth idle) that Jon Lund did for me on the car- that way I get over 20 mpg. When I got to Myrtle Beach, I put the GCT back on the car and drove it that way for all the events, that put the smooth idling 93 octane tune back on it to drive home- no muss, no fuss.

#28 ·
I am looking at buying his tune as a secondary tune to bamas tune for drag racing and I was wondering with his ghost cam tune does it also drive hard when in a gear and a low RPM range? Almost like it wants to start the cam idle? I rarely run the bama one because of this. It isn't that it just doesn't idle smooth which I expect having had a cammed car and they are not smooth idling but the bama tune gets kinda jumpy when in 5th or 6th gear at low rpms and then you look like an idiot that cannot drive with the car cutting and giving gas haha.

#29 ·
From a cold start, the car idles normally, then once the engine gets warm ,the cam lope begins. I was told it "kicks in" when the coolant reaches 195 degrees. The ONLY time you notice the GCT is at idle, that is to say, once you put your foot on the accelerator pedal it smooths out just fine- I have never experienced jumpiness at low rpms at all- my car is extremely driveable. This link is a youtube video I took about a year ago. Keep in mind that it was below 30 that day, so that is not smoke you see.
2011 Mustang GT Ghost Cam.MOV - YouTube

#30 ·
From a cold start, the car idles normally, then once the engine gets warm ,the cam lope begins. I was told it "kicks in" when the coolant reaches 195 degrees. The ONLY time you notice the GCT is at idle, that is to say, once you put your foot on the accelerator pedal it smooths out just fine- I have never experienced jumpiness at low rpms at all- my car is extremely driveable. This link is a youtube video I took about a year ago. Keep in mind that it was below 30 that day, so that is not smoke you see.
2011 Mustang GT Ghost Cam.MOV - YouTube
Alright good to know. Bama works the same way that it doesn't kick in until the car is warmed up but the weird driving it does at low rpms while in gear makes it undrivable as a DD. I might just pickup his tunes before this summer then.

#36 ·
I would bet it is a ghost cam. You could post a video. You typically can tell by the sound

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Did your car come with the tuner it was tuned with

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.