Ghost cam tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ghost cam tune

Hey guys sry if i am asking a stupid question but i am new to the 5.0 and i was wondering what this ghost tune is? What it requires?if its bad car the car and where i can get it? Thanks guys
GMSPNKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
...plenty of threads on it if you'd searched.

It simulates loping cams on the car. Bama and Lund write them for sure but not sure who else.

Generally requires a manual tranny and o/r pipe.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
nosympathy has it right on. There's no damaging effects of the Ghost Cam tune, just poor gas mileage. Also, you're required to have an O/R mid-pipe and manual transmission if interested in our Bama Performance version.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Shane is all over it tonight! Love AM! They are te best!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ya like 9 mpg lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Ya like 9 mpg lol
...I averaged 15 on it driving city streets the few days I ran it...

9mpg my ***.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My ***? Was joking relax there buddy lol I personally love the sound but wish it could be real. Love the old school thump so calm your jets

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

...I averaged 15 on it driving city streets the few days I ran it...

9mpg my ***.
Hey are those the stock rims just plasti dipped? Doing that next they look good
Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had never heard of the ghost tune, so that is kind of awesome. I have a ton of catching up to do with the new stuff; I had been Fox body only for so long that I haven't realized how kind of awesome the new technology is haha.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My ***? Was joking relax there buddy lol I personally love the sound but wish it could be real. Love the old school thump so calm your jets

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Hey are those the stock rims just plasti dipped? Doing that next they look good
you can get it for real, they make loping cams for the 5.0 just isn't going to be a few hundred to get. I promise they will run far better than the tune does. The tune runs kinda funny if your in a low enough RPM range it tries to start the lope while in gear and driving and it makes the car bounce and shudder.

Else wise it sounds badass. I've also come closer to stalling the car with that tune than I care to mentioned. If you start to let the clutch out right at the wrong point in the lope it will cause the engine to stall haha.

yes stock 11 wheels plasti dipped. I plan on buying new rims and wheels at some point and time but them being black and not silver makes it hurt less haha. That silver with my bright red and black theme was ugly.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I'm waiting til it gets warmer to do mine but they look sick plasti dipped . And do they really making loping cams that's awesome prob 2k at least installed lol is there performance gains from that and same negative effect on mpg ?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya I'm waiting til it gets warmer to do mine but they look sick plasti dipped . And do they really making loping cams that's awesome prob 2k at least installed lol is there performance gains from that and same negative effect on mpg ?
performance gains I am not sure. I have not researched them that far. Mainly because if I do that I without a doubt void any chance of a warranty on my car. My dealer is pretty cool but they said no to changing the cams. I don't blame them honestly.

it shouldn't affect mpg as the cams are just causing the cylinders to fire in a different pattern and cause the lope. Unlike the tune that is dumping unburnt gas and messing with the timing tables to cause the pretend lope. That is why Bama doesn't offer it for cars with cats as it dumps a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust and could damage stock cats.

I say could as it may not, but there is a chance. I think a few of the other places will write the tunes if you have cats.

now that I look for them can't find any cams that cause loping for the 5.0 but I know it has been done and they exist. Shop down the street from me did cams on a 5.0 that caused lope. I forget what brand they use, will have too find out again.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Il look into it as well power of google when I'm home later
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
it shouldn't affect mpg as the cams are just causing the cylinders to fire in a different pattern and cause the lope. Unlike the tune that is dumping unburnt gas and messing with the timing tables to cause the pretend lope. That is why Bama doesn't offer it for cars with cats as it dumps a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust and could damage stock cats.

I say could as it may not, but there is a chance. I think a few of the other places will write the tunes if you have cats.
Quote:
Il look into it as well power of google when I'm home later
Any kind of aftermarket camshaft that causes an engine to naturally lope at idle, will impair gas mileage to an extent. The reason for "lope" is the intake and exhaust valves temporarily being opened at the same time. This isn't efficient at low RPM's and results in a lower dynamic compression. However, if the same pattern continues at higher RPM's, the extra valve overlap becomes efficient for making power, since intake velocity is increased at high RPM's.

Our Bama Cam tune simply takes advantage of the 4v 5.0's variable valve timing. We're able to increase the valve over lap at idle, by choice, even though it's less efficient. With the extra valve overlap and lowered dynamic compression, torque is drastically decreased. So, by making only the low RPM's or idle very rich, we're able to increase torque and make the vehicles drivable, without a rich WOT. Thus, we require a catless mid-pipe for our Bama Cam tunes. Which, is the similar technique that is used for aftermarket camshafts with a naturally lopey/rough idle.

This should save you some time google searching! Let me know if you have other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
[QUOTE=nosympathy;1559215]you can get it for real, they make loping cams for the 5.0 just isn't going to be a few hundred to get. I promise they will run far better than the tune does. The tune runs kinda funny if your in a low enough RPM range it tries to start the lope while in gear and driving and it makes the car bounce and shudder.

I have had a Jon Lund 93 octane Ghost Cam tune on my '11 GT for about a year now. While the gas mileage impact can definitely be felt, my car is not a dd, and if I want gas mileage on a particular day, the Stang is likely not what I will be driving.
That said, I have not experienced any of the bounce and shudder described above. It has been amazing how docile and tractable this tune is at low rpms.

PS- I still get close to 20mpg at hwy speeds w/the Ghost Cam Tune. Obviously less around town or with my foot in it (duh).
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Argh so if I want the sound best way is to buy a o/r axle pipe and get the tune? Will any over axle work with flowmaster outlaws?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

you need an off road X-pipe, not over axle pipe. X pipe does not touch your axle back flowmasters.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Argh brain fart at work srry lol will it work with long tubes as well,?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

yep- got long tubes on my car
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You just have to get rid of the cats.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
yep- got long tubes on my car
Yo is that the boss chin spoiler ? Looks sick
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

it looks the same as the boss splitter, but's is actually the MRT splitter. It requires the GT/CS front valance (as does the Boss splitter).
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Bama needs to get the ghost cam out for the diablosport already!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I've read on other forums that the "ghost tune" as mentioned by AMShaneLesky produces raw unburned fuel, which over a long period of time and idle, can cause damage to the cats, causing them to perhaps clog.

Truth or myth? In any event, it would seem to me that this tune is only for a sound effect, and therefor I just don't get it...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've read on other forums that the "ghost tune" as mentioned by AMShaneLesky produces raw unburned fuel, which over a long period of time and idle, can cause damage to the cats, causing them to perhaps clog.

Truth or myth? In any event, it would seem to me that this tune is only for a sound effect, and therefor I just don't get it...
I would have to assume that this is the reason that you can only get the Ghost Cam Tune for cars with the Off-Road X-pipe (no cats).
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Yeah it "can" damage them. Doesn't always but instead of chancing it most tuners force you too have an o/r x or h.
Yes it is for sound because who doesn't like a cammed car? I miss it having had a car with full blown loaping camms. It is a wonderful sound.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yea you're correct. The excess fuel will cause the cats to have a short lifespan. I got rid of my cats about a month after I got the car but with the auto I guess I'll have to put in a converter to get the cam idle tune. I'm not going in the engine for cams b/c the $ vs. hp gain is nowhere worth it at this point.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it is a "sound only" deal, but I am totally fine with the GCT on my car- it really draws attention at shows and other events, not to mention stoplights. When I drive in, I see people looking at it like "wtf, that's like a new car but it sounds wicked..." When I want to take a longer road trip, (I drove it from Milwaukee to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC and back last summer) I just put the other 93 octane tune (smooth idle) that Jon Lund did for me on the car- that way I get over 20 mpg. When I got to Myrtle Beach, I put the GCT back on the car and drove it that way for all the events, that put the smooth idling 93 octane tune back on it to drive home- no muss, no fuss.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, it is a "sound only" deal, but I am totally fine with the GCT on my car- it really draws attention at shows and other events, not to mention stoplights. When I drive in, I see people looking at it like "wtf, that's like a new car but it sounds wicked..." When I want to take a longer road trip, (I drove it from Milwaukee to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC and back last summer) I just put the other 93 octane tune (smooth idle) that Jon Lund did for me on the car- that way I get over 20 mpg. When I got to Myrtle Beach, I put the GCT back on the car and drove it that way for all the events, that put the smooth idling 93 octane tune back on it to drive home- no muss, no fuss.
I am looking at buying his tune as a secondary tune to bamas tune for drag racing and I was wondering with his ghost cam tune does it also drive hard when in a gear and a low RPM range? Almost like it wants to start the cam idle? I rarely run the bama one because of this. It isn't that it just doesn't idle smooth which I expect having had a cammed car and they are not smooth idling but the bama tune gets kinda jumpy when in 5th or 6th gear at low rpms and then you look like an idiot that cannot drive with the car cutting and giving gas haha.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

From a cold start, the car idles normally, then once the engine gets warm ,the cam lope begins. I was told it "kicks in" when the coolant reaches 195 degrees. The ONLY time you notice the GCT is at idle, that is to say, once you put your foot on the accelerator pedal it smooths out just fine- I have never experienced jumpiness at low rpms at all- my car is extremely driveable. This link is a youtube video I took about a year ago. Keep in mind that it was below 30 that day, so that is not smoke you see.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From a cold start, the car idles normally, then once the engine gets warm ,the cam lope begins. I was told it "kicks in" when the coolant reaches 195 degrees. The ONLY time you notice the GCT is at idle, that is to say, once you put your foot on the accelerator pedal it smooths out just fine- I have never experienced jumpiness at low rpms at all- my car is extremely driveable. This link is a youtube video I took about a year ago. Keep in mind that it was below 30 that day, so that is not smoke you see.
Alright good to know. Bama works the same way that it doesn't kick in until the car is warmed up but the weird driving it does at low rpms while in gear makes it undrivable as a DD. I might just pickup his tunes before this summer then.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My Bama ghost tune is a little hard to drive at low RPMs. Gets a little jumpy in the parking lot.
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #32

Would a ghost cam tuning cause car to shake when idling sorry dumb question trying to figure out everything that has been done to my car i bought it like this everybody says oversized cam but im not for sure
Donny1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
yes it will cause the car to shake at idle.
Attached Files
Old 01-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1886 View Post
Would a ghost cam tuning cause car to shake when idling sorry dumb question trying to figure out everything that has been done to my car i bought it like this everybody says oversized cam but im not for sure
To get an actual lope on a Coyote is an expensive endevear that takes more than Cams.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #35

Thanks buds how could ya tell whether its cammed or just ghost camm tuned without having a mechnic go into the motor it revs up high when you start it especially when cold and evens out at about 1300 or 1400 rpms
Donny1886 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT