New Shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
New Shifter

The nice man in the Brown truck brought me my MGW shifter today. Hope to install it early next week. I've watched the videos & it looks like a fairly straightforward install, but does anybody have any tips you'd like to pass along. Thanks
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
The nice man in the Brown truck brought me my MGW shifter today. Hope to install it early next week. I've watched the videos & it looks like a fairly straightforward install, but does anybody have any tips you'd like to pass along. Thanks
Don't touch the insulation on the heatshield with your bare hands. If you rub it on your body you are going to have a bad time!

all kidding aside, I can't wait to get one and they look pretty straightforward. I know a lot of members on here have done them on jackstands without removing the drive shaft. Others have said that is the way to go. Personally Having been under the car multiple times I don't think removing the drive shaft is really needed.

I wish you luck and let us know how it goes! I hope to get mine sometime during the late spring early summer!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I just got mine yesterday! Mine is a different year though (01) so for install i can do everything from inside the car without even putting a jack under it. I am hopefully going to install it tomorrow... So excited!!

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I did it on jack stands about 2 weeks ago it's pretty easy. I would highly recommend having an extra set of hands though. I think the hardest part was getting the damn rubber boot around the shifter.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, that boot can be a pita.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Agreed the boot was the hardest part. I also did mine on jack stands in my garage, didn't have any extra hands, didn't really see the need for help but that's just the way I like to work. It is pretty simple when u watch the videos. You will not have to remove the driveshaft unless you have upgraded from stock.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did the MGW shifter install today on my 2013 GT. Took my time, had lunch, no hurry. Probably took twice as long as needed , but I take my time & double check every thing. As stated by others , the boot was a royal pain. Tried dish soap on the lip that goes around the shifter. Not sure if it helped or just made it harder to get ahold of. lol. Had a wrinkle where the boot goes over the transmission tunnel (bottom lip). Lot's a fussing & finally got it worked out. I even took the thing off , rotated it 180 degrees & still had a wrinkle. One thing I"ll pass on here, is that it went on around the shifter base easier the second time. Might consider stretching it over the shifter as soon as you take it out of the box, while taking out the old shifter etc.... Then maybe it'll be stretched out a little.
Took it for a test drive. Man that thing is nice . Falls into third gear. I've read where some say it's harder to get into reverse, but it doesn't even seem like I have to push down for reverse. Is this normal? I've been driving manuals for over forty years so I'm no noob @ shifting, but I think I'm gonna have to get used to how close first & reverse are.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
Did the MGW shifter install today on my 2013 GT. Took my time, had lunch, no hurry. Probably took twice as long as needed , but I take my time & double check every thing. As stated by others , the boot was a royal pain. Tried dish soap on the lip that goes around the shifter. Not sure if it helped or just made it harder to get ahold of. lol. Had a wrinkle where the boot goes over the transmission tunnel (bottom lip). Lot's a fussing & finally got it worked out. I even took the thing off , rotated it 180 degrees & still had a wrinkle. One thing I"ll pass on here, is that it went on around the shifter base easier the second time. Might consider stretching it over the shifter as soon as you take it out of the box, while taking out the old shifter etc.... Then maybe it'll be stretched out a little.
Took it for a test drive. Man that thing is nice . Falls into third gear. I've read where some say it's harder to get into reverse, but it doesn't even seem like I have to push down for reverse. Is this normal? I've been driving manuals for over forty years so I'm no noob @ shifting, but I think I'm gonna have to get used to how close first & reverse are.
It shouldn't be that easy to put in reverse. Did you use both of the fittings in the spring?
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I used both. I might er wrong , but isn't that spring for centering the shifter? I was thinking the one for Reverse is built in to the shifter.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I was kinda surprised at how easy it was to get in reverse everyone said that it was tough to get in but I haven't had any real trouble with it and it seems just as easy as the stock. I used both spring extender things too.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I thought you could adjust how hard you had to push to get into reverse? Or was that the barton shifters?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about the Barton, but I remember reading on the Hurst info that you could adjust an alan screw for going into reverse. The Hurst doesn't need to be pushed down for reverse though so this is a resistance adjustment for the reverse "gate". I looked over the MGW video a couple more times and am thinking I may have to adjust the pin (horizontal pin with jamb nut) because I do seem to be hitting the "wall" going into second, talked about in the video. I'm gonna give MGW a call on Monday (it's the weekend now & didn't get an answer. Still love the look & feel of the shifter, but may need a little fine tuning. Just hope I can do this adjustment without taking that darn boot all the way off. Lol
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Problem sloved. Adjusted the horizontal pin. Took it for a test drive (I hate it when my wife turns the gauges pink) and it shifts like "Buddah". No hang up or dead spot going into 2nd and requires a push down to engage reverse. No "mistaking " first & reverse. The best part is I was able to get to it by just pushing the top part of the inner boot down. Hope this helps somebody. n
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Problem solved. Adjusted the horiszontal pin. No "mistaking" first & reverse, definate push down for reverse. No hang up going into first or second, upshifting or downshifting. Shifts like "buddah". Best part is I was able to make the adjustment by just pushing the top part of the inner boot down. Hopes this is helpful to others.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

sorry, I believe there is an echo in here. Duh!!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

How did you have the boot that caused this issue? Do you have any extra road/trans noise? I ask because I have a a little bit especially if I am in second or fourth and lightly pull back on the shifter I get a slight whine noise. I just installed it 2 weeks ago and want to see if anyone else has noticed it.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Has anyone tried removing one of the springs caps after driving with both installed? Seems to be a little more firm than I want it and would like to see what others think.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Black Betty 5.0. No, the boot was not the problem. Just saying I was able to make adjustment (gain access) to the pin, by pushing the boot down. No noticeable noise from transmission or vibration which was one of my concerns with this shifter. but only took on a couple short road tests after install.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

One week after install of MGW. Got a chance to do a little "spirited" driving today. Absolutely worth the $$ & time to install (except for that d*** lower boot). Just a tap to the clutch and & you're in the next gear. Absolutely recomend this upgrade to anyone who loves driving "3 pedal" cars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT