Let the Modding Begin - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Let the Modding Begin

I received some great news on Thursday. Got a promotion, raise and bonus all in one day! I was planning on modding anyway, but with this additional "motivation" I ordered a set of FR-K's and the FR Panhard (Thanks American Muscle!). Talk about quick service, ordered them 11PM EST Thursday night and just checked the shipping status and they are scheduled to be delivered by EOB Monday. I have a sneaking suspicion they may show up today because the last scan was only a few towns away from my house.

Anyway, can't wait to get them installed!

That being said I had a question. I set aside another $1,500 - $2,000 for immediate mods and am not sure what to do and/or in what order. I want an exhaust next, but does it make sense to do that and a TB/CAI/IM/Tune and be done with it? I think that would get me right where I want to be from a performance perspective.

I have a 2013 w/Track Pack if that helps.

Thanks all.
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Lower control arms plus relocation brackets, tune, o/r x, shifter, etc.

BTW congrats!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Save up a little more and get a supercharger

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
without doing a full suspension to support it that seems a little silly.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Not interested in a s/c to be honest. I do the basic bolt ons, drive em and then get something new.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by madGT View Post
I received some great news on Thursday. Got a promotion, raise and bonus all in one day! I was planning on modding anyway, but with this additional "motivation" I ordered a set of FR-K's and the FR Panhard (Thanks American Muscle!). Talk about quick service, ordered them 11PM EST Thursday night and just checked the shipping status and they are scheduled to be delivered by EOB Monday. I have a sneaking suspicion they may show up today because the last scan was only a few towns away from my house.

That being said I had a question. I set aside another $1,500 - $2,000 for immediate mods and am not sure what to do and/or in what order. I want an exhaust next, but does it make sense to do that and a TB/CAI/IM/Tune and be done with it? I think that would get me right where I want to be from a performance perspective.

Thanks all.
Boss IM, CAI, O/R Xpipe, Borla Axlebacks.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A supercharger is overkill on these cars unless you track it. I would do suspension mods, and skip the TB. Save that $500 to throw at some appearance stuff.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
A supercharger is overkill on these cars unless you track it. I would do suspension mods, and skip the TB. Save that $500 to throw at some appearance stuff.
Agreed. I'm leaning towards the ATAK Borla, IM (researching the Ford Racing one vs Boss) and a tune after the suspension is done.

As for appearance, my style is pretty basic. All my cars get the same treatment. Black paint, black windows and lowered. Only other thing I like appearance wise is to get red caliper covers. I have the Brembo's, but why Ford only put them on the front I'll never understand.

Thanks all.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks all.
First off, congrats. Secondly, finish your suspension before anything else. These cars have more than enough power and the suspension is the Achilles heel. What you've chosen already leaves you unfinished and under utilized. Get a decent set of shocks to go with your springs, the FR non adjustables are more than adequate and compliment your springs. Invest in the gt500 strut mounts, you'll have to replace them regardless when you make the spring swap, unless you want them to start popping and getting noisy. Camber bolts are a cheap and reliable solution to keep your front end aligned. BMR or Eibach produces a great product. Mine as well get the front done all at once. As far as rear suspension goes, personally I'm a big fan of BMR products. But there's plenty out there, search the forum, and google can be your best friend. LCA's are a must. With your vehicle being lowered I highly recommend LCA Relocation brackets. The UCA and UCA Mount are weak points as well. The non-Adjustable control arms for both upper and lower are perfectly fine unless your trying to dial in your car at the drag strip for the perfect launch at to drop .01 off your 60ft. Don't be concerned with sway bars, they are more than adequate for all around use. Only ever need to be changed if you have a dedicated autocross or track car. I would follow suspension with brakes, i know you have the Brembo's, but upgrading the pads, brake lines, and fluid to a DOT4 will make a world if difference. If you have any money left after all this, my next mod would be a tune. Even with your vehicle 100% stock, a tune will benefit you greatly. Night and day difference even in stock form. But the question arises. What's your opinion on your warranty, if you still have one. If your not concerned about it, tune. I recommend the SCT Handheld, not a fan of diablo or any of the wireless devices on the market at the moment. The best tune you can get will come from a dyno and a experienced tuner. In the meantime, BAMA tunes from AM are great and safe. But AED, VMP, Steeda, Lund, Brenspeed, and so on are all good in their own right and can be far more aggressive. After your suspension is done and you have her tunes throw a set of axel backs on her and call it a day. Pick your poison with mufflers, I'm not going to begin to recommend anything. People's taste in sound varies drastically. When it comes time for performance, forget the TB, Coil Packs, and Shorty Headers. They're all useless. CAI's are question, but I'm a firm believer in them helping. I've seen it with my own eyes. I love the Boss IM, I lost no power down low, and my tuner utilized the powerband up top without having to rev to 7500 rpm. LT's and a O/R XorH pipe will yield the most gains. The factory OTA pipes IMO are a joke too narrow, too many hard bends and pinch points, and the resonators are a joke. The power gains from OTA will be minimal at best, but there's something there and I changes the tone of your exhaust and creates a more free flowing path for the gases. I could ramble for days and I apologize for the length of this post. These are just my opinions and the best advice I can give. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. If I don't know the answer, I can find them. Good luck and be safe!

BTW, this was my 1000th post. You win. Lol
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^ don't apologize for the length, all good stuff and some I hadn't considered. I see you are in DE, I'm right down the street from Hockessin myself.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

First off, congrats. Secondly, finish your suspension before anything else. These cars have more than enough power and the suspension is the Achilles heel. What you've chosen already leaves you unfinished and under utilized. Get a decent set of shocks to go with your springs, the FR non adjustables are more than adequate and compliment your springs. Invest in the gt500 strut mounts, you'll have to replace them regardless when you make the spring swap, unless you want them to start popping and getting noisy. Camber bolts are a cheap and reliable solution to keep your front end aligned. BMR or Eibach produces a great product. Mine as well get the front done all at once. As far as rear suspension goes, personally I'm a big fan of BMR products. But there's plenty out there, search the forum, and google can be your best friend. LCA's are a must. With your vehicle being lowered I highly recommend LCA Relocation brackets. The UCA and UCA Mount are weak points as well. The non-Adjustable control arms for both upper and lower are perfectly fine unless your trying to dial in your car at the drag strip for the perfect launch at to drop .01 off your 60ft. Don't be concerned with sway bars, they are more than adequate for all around use. Only ever need to be changed if you have a dedicated autocross or track car. I would follow suspension with brakes, i know you have the Brembo's, but upgrading the pads, brake lines, and fluid to a DOT4 will make a world if difference. If you have any money left after all this, my next mod would be a tune. Even with your vehicle 100% stock, a tune will benefit you greatly. Night and day difference even in stock form. But the question arises. What's your opinion on your warranty, if you still have one. If your not concerned about it, tune. I recommend the SCT Handheld, not a fan of diablo or any of the wireless devices on the market at the moment. The best tune you can get will come from a dyno and a experienced tuner. In the meantime, BAMA tunes from AM are great and safe. But AED, VMP, Steeda, Lund, Brenspeed, and so on are all good in their own right and can be far more aggressive. After your suspension is done and you have her tunes throw a set of axel backs on her and call it a day. Pick your poison with mufflers, I'm not going to begin to recommend anything. People's taste in sound varies drastically. When it comes time for performance, forget the TB, Coil Packs, and Shorty Headers. They're all useless. CAI's are question, but I'm a firm believer in them helping. I've seen it with my own eyes. I love the Boss IM, I lost no power down low, and my tuner utilized the powerband up top without having to rev to 7500 rpm. LT's and a O/R XorH pipe will yield the most gains. The factory OTA pipes IMO are a joke too narrow, too many hard bends and pinch points, and the resonators are a joke. The power gains from OTA will be minimal at best, but there's something there and I changes the tone of your exhaust and creates a more free flowing path for the gases. I could ramble for days and I apologize for the length of this post. These are just my opinions and the best advice I can give. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. If I don't know the answer, I can find them. Good luck and be safe!

BTW, this was my 1000th post. You win. Lol
^that should be a scripture in the Mustang Bible.....lots of good stuff!
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post

I thought that's where is came from : 0 )
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I guess I'm a little silly and I'm doing it wrong. Haha, good luck with your modding!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post

Quote:

I thought that's where is came from : 0 )
Lol. Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370 View Post
Well I guess I'm a little silly and I'm doing it wrong. Haha, good luck with your modding!
There's no wrong way. I mean, if I had the ability to throw a S/C on her the day I pulled her off the lot, I would have. But, I have tried to use a version off this recipe with every car I've owned. And it seems to work and makes sense to me. Either way you do it, just remember that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It's all about balance. You can feel that as soon as sit in the car. Good luck guys!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Lol. Thanks Guys

There's no wrong way. I mean, if I had the ability to throw a S/C on her the day I pulled her off the lot, I would have. But, I have tried to use a version off this recipe with every car I've owned. And it seems to work and makes sense to me. Either way you do it, just remember that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It's all about balance. You can feel that as soon as sit in the car. Good luck guys!
This is my fourth mustang (2nd blown) I understand what you are saying, I was just joking. These aren't the mustangs of old. There are guys with nothing but a tune running high 11s/low 12s on stock tires and suspension. Is your recipe better? Sure. Will I get UCAs, LCAs and relo bracket? Probably. My point is, it's up to the individual, one should know his and the car's limits and mod according to what you are comfortable with. Thanks and good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks all.
First off, Congratulations on the Promotion that's Awesome! It sounds like you've already been pointed in the right direction and you have an awesome build list. You're going to love the FR-K's and Panhard bar!

As far as your build list goes, I think everything you listed is a must have at some point! Exhaust, CAI, Tune, Intake Mani and just about every suspension part is great!

Keep up the great work and feel free to hit me up anytime you have a question. We appreciate the kind words and your business!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks all, the parts arrived today and I'll be looking for a few other of the recommended suspension parts pre install.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I swapped out the stock shifter for the Hurst Billet Plus 2. The throw is shorter (not by too much, but definitely noticeable), but the gears might as well be making out with each other; they are all so freaking close, that it will take some getting used to. Once you get out and drive with it, though, I bet you'll love it like I do. It's a much more enjoyable driving experience.

That's all I can really put in. I haven't changed anything else on the car, but I would definitely recommend that shifter. American Muscle sells it.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks all, the parts arrived today and I'll be looking for a few other of the recommended suspension parts pre install.
Couldn't wait. Had the parts and time on my hands so did the install. Looks and drives great. Heading to my buddies speed shop at some point later this week for exhaust and will have him put it on the rack.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Took the next step today. My buddy owns a performance shop that specializes in Mustangs (will remain nameless since I don't know if that's a no-no on the forum). Anyway, we did a custom cat back with magnaflows (I'm old school like that) and topped it off with some black tips.

We didn't have time yesterday, but the next step will be a CAI, on the fence with an 85MM TB so input needed, an IM (FR or Boss), cat deletes and a tune to get it all working together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955153091.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	97484

All this and still under 1K miles on the car.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-4074632345.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	101094

.....added the stubby recently. Was going to shave it as I use satellite and/or Pandora 100% of the time, but found this antenna so am giving it a shot. Money saved here will go elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

.....added the stubby recently. Was going to shave it as I use satellite and/or Pandora 100% of the time, but found this antenna so am giving it a shot. Money saved here will go elsewhere.
That one looks cool, what brand is it?? How's the reception? Does it screw in just like the factory??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

That one looks cool, what brand is it?? How's the reception? Does it screw in just like the factory??
It's called "the stubby" and just screws in - no special tools required. From what I've heard the reception isn't any worse, but I rarely listen to the regular radio so don't have many hours to compare. I forget where I got it - think it was CJ Pony. Stumbled upon it during a search - was around $25 if my memory serves me correctly.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Make that CravenSpeed.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...y-Antenna.html
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

without doing a full suspension to support it that seems a little silly.
+1
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post

+1
Yup, no s/c in the future.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Overkill? Damn right and I love it! Lol
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Overkill is under rated.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Overkill is under rated.
Now that would make for a great tattoo.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks all.
Hey I was looking in your garage you have a verry nice stang! Love it in black. I also have a 13 track pack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-551415475.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	101137   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-62603103.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	101138  

Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

^ Thanks, it's a bugger to keep clean but black is the only color I drive. I also have to get some decent shots of it in the garage now that it's lowered, etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ Thanks, it's a bugger to keep clean but black is the only color I drive. I also have to get some decent shots of it in the garage now that it's lowered, etc.
Yeah black is really nice if you can keep it clean.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT