Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.W.D.

13K views 85 replies 26 participants last post by  Billymich 
#1 ·
I would like to see an AWD Mustang, like the SHO Taurus. Why couldn't this be done? Who would like to see this?

#47 ·
If you would druve a chevy before a ford then why would you get a mustang in the first place? Ever driven a a4? There awd and it had a 4cyl not even turboed and we got up to 120 pretty damn fast think what it could have done with a super charged v8 ? The thing would be fast as hell

#56 ·
I think the BRZ is a prime example of this debate. Many wanted and thought the BRZ would be AWD and the toyota version would be RWD. Subaru opted for RWD on theirs as well. Having AWD would've drove up the cost of a car that could already cost you almost the price of a Mustang GT. And many consider RWD to be more fun and that's really what this car is about. I've also heard that AWD would've forced them to raise the engine a bit. This car has a very low centre of gravity and they wouldn't want to mess with that.

I personally was hoping the BRZ would have AWD. Having an AWD sport car to drive all year round would be great. And I wouldn't be opposed to Ford or anyone making an affordable AWD sport car. For a Mustang though? Idk, I guess I could see it. Especially with the 2015 supposed to be more "Euro". And I wouldn't be opposed to it personally. RWD would have to be standard and AWD as an option or only on a select model. Will it happen though? Probably not.

#64 ·
Someone mentioned awd so they could drive it all year. Why?

I bought a rear wheel drive car for....rear wheel drive. If I couldn't handle rear wheel drive in winter, I would have gotten the Focus ST or Roushcharged Focus.

I get everything else for an AWD Mustang, but that would be the downfall is being forced to have four wheel traction. Now, a 4x4 Mustang wouldn't be as bad lol

#65 ·
Dang, this has got everyone's panties in a bunch. I think they should offer an awd mustang, not eliminate the rwd, just have it as an option. I think it would be a smart move on fords part, that way the mustang brand could branch out into other motor sports, where awd is better. I would buy one, even if it wasn't as fast in a straight line as a rwd, it would be better in the corners.

#67 ·
So you would pay $50,000 plus for an AWD mustang. Because it would a completely different mustang in addition to the current model. It's not like adding a $6,500 SC and its done. It's a ton and to only sell a handful at a very premium price. Do maybe not such a smart move on Fords part.

#66 ·
You guys are all forgetting about what a Mustang is. It's not supposed to be a car to have amazing traction off the line with regular tires, it's not meant to have that amazing handling through corners, it's meant to have a ton of raw power and be unforgiving. If I wanted AWD I would have gotten an EVO

#69 ·
Aggiesrok said:
So you would pay $50,000 plus for an AWD mustang. Because it would a completely different mustang in addition to the current model. It's not like adding a $6,500 SC and its done. It's a ton and to only sell a handful at a very premium price. Do maybe not such a smart move on Fords part.
93slowstang said:
Maybe you need to watch ken block...he pretty much does all of that. Also they drift the older GTRs which are awd as well.
An AWD Mustang would be like a carbon fiber Mustang...a crazy amount of money, not really very cost efficient, probably not get fully used, and most people would either never see it or wouldn't realize what it is.

Still, pretty cool.

Note: although I would never buy one, and I do not really want one, it seems like a cool idea. For a performance vehicle, i prefer over steer. I have only, spiritedly, driven 4x4s, no awds, and I find understeer is more common- which on a track I would rather spin out than slide off the course.

#71 ·
A $50,000 AWD mustang would be NA and not carbon fiber and not post 1/4 times in the high 9's. It's all cool stuff, just won't happen. There's no room for FWD with a 5.0 anyway. It would have to become a mid-engine car. Why did they quit making the Ford GT anyway?

#74 ·
How'd that turn out last time?

So you would rather see Ford put out a car you couldn't afford as long as it validates your point?

The value of AWD is to be determined by the user but facts are facts. HP for HP it will be slower and more expensive.

#75 ·
I personally believe ford needs a car to compete with Chevys Corvette and Dodges Viper. I mean sure the Shelby GT 500 is a brilliant car but it has nowhere near the handling capabilities to compete with the Corvette or Viper. Sure a 200k-300k car is a little too much, but I believe a total separate car model to compete with the Corvette and Viper would be a good idea.

#81 ·
Aggiesrok said:
A $50,000 AWD mustang would be NA and not carbon fiber and not post 1/4 times in the high 9's. It's all cool stuff, just won't happen. There's no room for FWD with a 5.0 anyway. It would have to become a mid-engine car. Why did they quit making the Ford GT anyway?
Limited production. I prefer it that way, too. I think to make it MASS produced like a vette drops value too much.

Borii said:
You can drift any rear biased AWD car such as an STi or GTR etc.

As mentioned though, understeer is not a wanted side effect in real racing, which is why many cars are converted to RWD from AWD for REAL racing. Understeer is only 'welcome' in day to day driving and low speeds because it is more predictable.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

An all Carbon fiber Mustang would easily exceed 2 or 300k.
I could not imagine a US GTR drifting, with all the computers and safety things. Not saying impossible, or most of it can not be turned off, but from the complaints on the GTR it seems like a bit junky. Just an easy go fast fail safe go cart.
An all carbon fiber Mustang is made, and is 150k with a supercharged 5.0...

DerekJohnScott said:
Yes it would be $200,000 to $300,000 but at least it would be a super car for ford.
But its still just a Mustang at the end of the day.

Coltonhess said:
I personally believe ford needs a car to compete with Chevys Corvette and Dodges Viper. I mean sure the Shelby GT 500 is a brilliant car but it has nowhere near the handling capabilities to compete with the Corvette or Viper. Sure a 200k-300k car is a little too much, but I believe a total separate car model to compete with the Corvette and Viper would be a good idea.
I think your point is valid, but Fords real super car- the GT - is so much more special being less than 2000, I think, than vettes or vipers that are much more common.

Coltonhess said:
But not a 130k. If they took a similar concept and modernized it and made it price wise similar to the Corvette I believe that would be a very useful idea. I think we need a halo car. Our halo car right now as it stands is the Shelby GT500 which is basically the same model as the 20000 base model. I just believe ford needs a Halo car to compete with the likes of Corvettes and Vipers
130k is not bad for a real super car. Vette/viper, basic FR with lots of power is not worth 130, in my opinion.

Aggiesrok said:
Exactly and have a base price in the $80's or $90's. They just look badass. And call it what it is ... GT40.
Are you talking about the GT40 or the GT44? Which was priced at 150k.

Coltonhess said:
Exactly. I like the old design but to me i think it was too retro. If they modernized the design and lowered the price to let's say the Viper or ZR1 Corvette then were talking. Ford needs a car that can stand out from the rest. Not a top tier mustang with basically the same design as the $20,000 base one.
Price may be lower on the next GT, but it will be a hybrid with four wheel power. Think NSX.

#83 ·
DerekJohnScott said:
Now your being a dick. I'm not trying to validate anything, and who the **** are you to bring what I can afford into this? I can't afford a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but it doesn't mean I don't like them or think that they should be made. It's d-bags like you that ruin innocent little conversations about things that will never happen by making it an argument. All this thread is about is what if they made an awd mustang, not which one would be better.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

They should bring back the thunderbird and have it compete with the viper and corvette.
I can't afford a F FF right now, but one day I will have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.