Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.W.D.

13K views 85 replies 26 participants last post by  Billymich 
#1 ·
I would like to see an AWD Mustang, like the SHO Taurus. Why couldn't this be done? Who would like to see this?

#5 ·
they are already far to heavy as it is, lets not complicate matters and plus it wont really be a Mustang anymore if they were to do this

#9 ·
takes more hp to turn the extra wheels so technically it would be slower taking traction out of the equation

#26 ·
Tinman124 said:
I would bet an equally equipped AWD Mustang GT would be faster and more fun than a Mustang GT.
Not from my perspective. It would launch great but you would have to raise the engine to accommodate it which would ruin handling. Also, it would add weight and drivetrain loss. And I find rwd way more entertaining than awd. This is the criticism the gtr gets. It's too safe and too grippy. It would also add thousands of dollars to the cost of every car.

#27 ·
DaBluedude said:
Not from my perspective. It would launch great but you would have to raise the engine to accommodate it which would ruin handling. Also, it would add weight and drivetrain loss. And I find rwd way more entertaining than awd. This is the criticism the gtr gets. It's too safe and too grippy. It would also add thousands of dollars to the cost of every car.
Engine doesn't need to be lifted, but it would cost more.

And the 4 banger is only confirmed for UK. iF it has been confirmed for US, I have not heard of it. Of anyone can enlighten, I would appreciate it.

#30 ·
DerekJohnScott said:
Am I the only one all for this?
Lol, it would be neat, but I wouldn't want it. To keep low center of gravity, it would be crazy expensive or have a lot of over hang, or need a different engine setup. And I have never launched an awd standard, but hear that launching a standard awd and being GOOD at it are VERY different lol.

I think it would be a waste of RnD, but hey, someone paid 400k for a wagon Quattroporte...so I m sure it exists somewhere.

#34 ·
Tinman124 said:
Yes u can do all these things. Again I think it should and could be offered as AWD. It would be much faster and just as much fun.
With enough power, sure. But it seems like the general consensus is we want cheap and cheerful, while this would be pretty costly.

#38 · (Edited)
AWD is a crutch and many cars are converted to RWD from AWD in REAL racing.

AND an AWD car would NOT be much faster as Tinman stated. It would be significantly slower.

MORE weight and SIGNIFICANTLY more drivetrain loss.

Example, S197 3V will dyno 255-265 at 300 HP.

At 305 HP an AWD STI will dyno 225-235. Until you're talking big WHEEL HP numbers (when loss is already accounted for), the AWD will ALWAYS be slower. It will just be more practical in all weather and launch with little effort or skill required.

#42 ·
At 305 HP an AWD STI will dyno 225-235. Until you're talking big WHEEL HP numbers (when loss is already accounted for), the AWD will ALWAYS be slower. It will just be more practical in all weather and launch with little effort or skill required.

WOW I CALL BS! AWD is notoriously hard to launch well !

Most AWD cars are FWD platforms with a transfer case and a part time rear axle.

The STi at least is a straight engine and with a stiff sway bar easily kicks out the rear.

Not that I ever understood drifting and why anyone likes it.
Most AWD cars are NOT FWD cars to start. At least not any performance ones, they usually have to redesign too much.

#55 ·
. I think it would be a smart move on fords part to offer awd so it could compete against audis, bmws, and every other car that has it right now.
Sorry, but I don't see or want a Ford (let alone a Mustang) to compete with any luxury brands, outside of stats like how the BOSS LS was better than an M3 around the track. And as for "most" AWD cars starting as RWD, maybe the BMWs and Benzes start as RWD but none of those are known for their AWD performance (quite the opposite actually). Most AWD performers are either engineered for it from the get go (Subaru) or converted from FWD (Audi, Mitsubishi and most others).

In summary, keep the Mustang simple. If people want something AWD and V8 from Ford, then maybe we should dream of a Taurus replacement that is merged with the AU Falcon that could potentially offer it as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.