How to replace hid bulbs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Region: Texas
How to replace hid bulbs?

Was wandering if anyone has replaced their OEM HID bulbs on 2011 mustang GT. Bought this car used and previous owner had used tint spray on headlight lens. Would like to replace housing and keep bulb.
twin 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin 1 View Post
Was wandering if anyone has replaced their OEM HID bulbs on 2011 mustang GT. Bought this car used and previous owner had used tint spray on headlight lens. Would like to replace housing and keep bulb.
There should be a way to disconnect the bulbs. I've never messed with Factory HID's. I would assume it has more to do with the housing than anything else.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
AM has the Raxiom headlight housing that fits the OEM HIDs dunno if u like those... I do, but not enough to change my factory ones out, in your case it's justified since they were damaged by the previous owner
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Bit fiddly it is...Easier to take the headlight out and work on a bench.

You need to ensure the bulb gaskets come out with the bulb and there is a black retaining ring inside the housing that, when twisted, opens the little fingers that hold the bulb in.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have HIDs too and wanted to know if anyone else has a noticeable ring on the flat plastic surface where the HIDs have "burned" in? If so, how to fix and/or replace?
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If the lens is sprayed have you thought about a lens restore kit to polish off the spray tint?
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Didnt think of that. I will look into it. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I can't understand anyone who wants less light on the road. Bizarre.

You have a headlight restoration kit in the bathroom. Use any mild polishing toothpaste. It'll even make you lights minty fresh and attractive to foglights. Everybody likes a good set of headlights...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I can't understand anyone who wants less light on the road. Bizarre.

You have a headlight restoration kit in the bathroom. Use any mild polishing toothpaste. It'll even make you lights minty fresh and attractive to foglights. Everybody likes a good set of headlights...
I just don't see the need. I have perfect vision and light sensitivity and I can see fine in the dark with my dim lights.

I on the other hand, don't get people who practically have a lighthouse on their car while driving down the road.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, on the back side of 40, when your night vision starts to go for ****, you might like a little more light on the road....I like it when the front of my car looks like a welding arc, but that's me...I don't run the super-brights in town anyway.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, on the back side of 40, when your night vision starts to go for ****, you might like a little more light on the road....I like it when the front of my car looks like a welding arc, but that's me...I don't run the super-brights in town anyway.
Yeah some people go overboard like your talking about and what I hate is when they do that and then ride my *** in the slow lane on the highway while I am already doing 15 over. I mean some of the trucks with like 20 lights in the front and they just blind other people and someone like me who is already sensitive to light it actually hinders my vision because the light is getting reflected off everything at me. And I can only do so much to get rid of it when there is that much light.

I literally have headlight covers and turn my interior lights all the way down almost to feel comfortable in the car.

I also cannot stand people who do after market headlights and then don't aim them properly or probably at all and have them angled as far upwards as possible. That is just as bad.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yer gonna love my 35 watt HID foglight upgrade.....

IMG_0896_zps92428e61.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

IMG_0898_zps2729bc14.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

I even reworked the wiring (no cut) so I can run the fogs with the high beams on.... It's completely ridiculous, and to think i was contemplating 55 watt HIDs...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yer gonna love my 35 watt HID foglight upgrade.....

IMG_0896_zps92428e61.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

IMG_0898_zps2729bc14.jpg Photo by 5lho | Photobucket

I even reworked the wiring (no cut) so I can run the fogs with the high beams on.... It's completely ridiculous, and to think i was contemplating 55 watt HIDs...
see the picture from your perspective as the driver that is awesome but the poor people infront of you...lol
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, kinda relegates the fogs to outside of city limits, back-country stuff. least I made the factory Christmas lights actually worth something.

I can't stand it when makers put something on a car that's just frickin' tinsel over dog****.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
does anyone know where to get the plugs for 2013 oem 2013 xenons. ford wants $500 for whole harness gotta be someone who can get these to make a plug and play tuxsedoblack got them but wont tell me where he got them he wants to sell a plug and play when I could do it myself, if I had this info id share it with everyone.. im not out to make money , when this is a forum to help each other make our cars into personal pieces of art.. let me know guys if anyone hears anything..thanks for ur help
manlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT