Advise and Opinions please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Advise and Opinions please

I drive a 2011 GT with a Roush Phase 2 SC and some other basic mods and am well pleased with the performance. I would however like to upgrade the ride/handling of the car and improve the brakes to a level more in keeping with the vehicles performance capabilities. I am not a Dragster nor am I an Autocrosser. I do like to demonstrate the cars capabilities to the unsuspecting idiots who want to play. I have spent considerable time searching this and other Mustang sites and have learned a lot but really need the input from those of you with more experience. With this in mind I need suggestions from the more capable in these areas.

1. Tires and Tire sizes. I need to have "all season" tires and I want to maintain the factory 18" wheels. Handling and braking are first, ride is second, road noise is a close third. I want the largest tires I can safely use on the stock wheels. It seems to me that Tires are the most important mod as any handling and braking improvements are directly related to tire performance

2. Handling mods. This is a DD and I want to keep a civilized, comfortable ride but improve the handling if possible. New shocks and struts seem to be the way to go. Konis? KYB?. Probably don't need manual adjustability.

3. Brakes. Brembos and the like seem to be overkill although I would love to have them. Would the standard Factory brakes with upgraded pads and hoses do the job?

Thanks to all in advance for your input. It is appreciated.
shottist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
1. You will not be able to fit much tire on those wheels. I would recommend going with 9" wide wheels on all four corners and running 275-285 on all four. Then I would look into general g-max tires or maybe some bfg gforce super sport all season or Michelin pilot sport all season plus or cooper rs3-a tires.

2. Konis konis konis!!! I have nearly all bolt on suspension mods and if I could do it all over again I would put the Koni strt on FIRST! Get the ones made for the 05-10 mustang as well as the GT500 strut mounts and some FRPP/Steeda/BMR springs to lower your center of gravity just a little (I opted for 1" drop and IMO it's perfect). Then I would look into lca and relocation brackets, uca and torque mount (that's the technical name of the uca mount), and if you really love the twisties go with white line (or if you're on a more strict budget, eibach) sway bars.

3. Get some hawk hps pads, ss braided brake lines, and DOT 4 brake fluid and brake duct cooling kit and you'll have some awesome brakes.

This would be my version of how I would redo things if I could. Good luck!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
2. Konis konis konis!!! I have nearly all bolt on suspension mods and if I could do it all over again I would put the Koni strt on FIRST! Get the ones made for the 05-10 mustang as well as the GT500 strut mounts and some FRPP/Steeda/BMR springs to lower your center of gravity just a little (I opted for 1" drop and IMO it's perfect). Then I would look into lca and relocation brackets, uca and torque mount (that's the technical name of the uca mount), and if you really love the twisties go with white line (or if you're on a more strict budget, eibach) sway bars.
How do you like your koni strt on the street and strip? Which springs did you pair then with?

I've got a set of Steeda sport springs scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Currently debating between koni strt shocks/struts and used (6k miles) tokico d specs adjustables.

Doubt I need the adjustables, as its a daily driver, and I plan on going to the drag strip may be 5-10 times a year. Also, I'm iffy on buying used shocks and struts. Never know how the person drove, and if that's really the mileage that's on them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I haven't used them on the strip yet, my car is used alot like yours, mostly street with a little strip action. I actually have the FRPP p springs. While the d specs are good, the strt are actually on sale through Koni as we speak. I would jump on those, most places are selling them for $330 or so right now. PM me for details on that.

Even if money was no object I would still take the strt over the d spec, overall their damping rates are better and the konis have a lifetime warranty. If you really do wanna get some adjustables, go with the Koni sport (yellows) they are on sale for about $100 more than d specs retail.

I would also purchase new, and though I've never run Steeda springs I hear they're definitely some of the better ones on the market.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT