new 5.0 problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Region: Texas
new 5.0 problems

Hey guys im new to the site. I just sold my Z06 in december and bought a 5.0. Besides it being a stock car and my old vette having a built motor its been actually nice. But now i'm starting to have trouble. I'm the first owner bought the car brand new with 15 miles on it now has 1550. The issues i'm having are with the fuel gauge (will put 5.5 gallons of gas but only get 50 miles or less regardless of fuel grade)... some times the fuel gauge will show 120 110 and 50 all on the same gallon of fuel put in and just about the same miles till empty showing. off and on performance is hit or miss some days it will drive and i feel the 420hp some days it actes like a 4cyl. traction control light flashing out of no where and car started to stall/jerk. Ive had the car stall out at a red light and i thought i was in 3rd but was in 1st actually. I took it to my local ford dealer who my parents have used for 20 plus years and the reponse i got was "take it to the original dealer that car has to many problems for us to even touch" so yeah thats where i'm at have you guys heard of any of these problems. All the car has is exhaust everything else has been kept stock.
whoisu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Wow. That's a bummer. I haven't had any problems like that, ever!
Could you have gotten some bad gas maybe?

Why would the dealer you took it to refuse to work on it? It's under warranty, I don't understand why they wouldn't want the business?

Anyway, take to the dealer you got it from and hopefully they can shine some light on the problem. Sorry you're having a bad experience with it.

What made you wanna trade in the Z06 for a mustang?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Those problems are pretty crazy. I've had my girl for almost two years brand new (2012 GT) and haven't gotten the smallest problem. The power stayed consistently great and even better since I've added the tuner to her. For the most part I don't hear about too many out of the box problems with the cars or the motors. And I think it's ridiculous the dealership u went to wouldn't work on it.

What year Z06 u coming from? I love those cars!
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

I have no clue why they wouldnt mess with the car. They just said it has to many problems to be only 3 months old and it could be a lemon so it would be better to take it to the original dealer. Also when i bought the car they buffed the plastic so all the "black" parts are grey. its a bummer but i'm sure it'll get worked out. I had a 02 z06 head cams long tubes dynoed at 432rwhp. It was fun but i spent around 6kish on getting it fixed last year so going to school and paying for a car that needed work every couple of months was getting hard. So i started looking for the next best thing and for the price and performance you cant really beat the 5.0. plus for 29k for a premium with everything i could want was cheaper then any other car i was looking at lol..

Has the tuner helped alot? i want to get one from americanmuscle but with all the small issues ive had to stay away from any mods just to make sure i cant get denied warranty.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Warranty was a huge concern when I was deciding on a tuner. After a year of not seeing problems with my car or too many other 5.0's I went and got the sct BAMA tuner from American muscle. Still no problems and u definitely feel the difference. If I were you, I would wait until u get those issues fixed and feel a little more comfortable that u won't have to worry about warranty issues, and then start the modding. Just get her straight so u can start really enjoying what she has to offer.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
OP, sounds like your problems are all computer related, a simple reflash will probably take care of it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah you sound like your ECM is bad. You bought a brand new 5.0 PREMIUM for 29,000?? What year you say?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Yeah you sound like your ECM is bad. You bought a brand new 5.0 PREMIUM for 29,000?? What year you say?
Dont know his year. But I bought brand new 2012 premium 5.0 when the 13's were on the lot for 30990 out the door tt&l. So I think 29000 is possible.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Region: Virginia
Sounds like it needs good diagnostic check from the dealership. Take advantage of your warranty and use it.

Good luck with fix and keep us posted.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
OP, sounds like your problems are all computer related, a simple reflash will probably take care of it.
+1

If it's not that I'd tell them to take the car back because the computer is the only thing that makes sense as being the problem.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Dont know his year. But I bought brand new 2012 premium 5.0 when the 13's were on the lot for 30990 out the door tt&l. So I think 29000 is possible.
Yeah I agree.. I picked up my 2013 GT premium with Brembo package, comfort package, 3.73s, & rear sensing/security package for $33k last week. A bunch of rebates are out on the 13s because the 14s are in.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post

yeah brand new 2013 with 15 miles with tax and everything it was 29 and some change
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the club. I traded in my 2011 C6 for my 2013 GT.

I'm with the rest, sounds ECU related.
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by madGT View Post
Welcome to the club. I traded in my 2011 C6 for my 2013 GT.

I'm with the rest, sounds ECU related.
I can't tell you how much I always wanted a corvette as a kid, specifically a 1986 Corvette as I loved the dash, but looked at buying a 2004 Z06, but when I drove one I just didn't like it as much as the 5.0 and with the knowledge I would be paying to fix it all the time, ugh! There was a gorgeous 1994 Corvette called "The Hulk" that had been bored out and cammed with long tubes and some other work done that I test drove too and I almost got it as it was selling for like 14K, but then I sat there and thought about the fact it was that nice, selling for 14K, and that much custom work, something was bound to go wrong or was wrong with it.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I can't tell you how much I always wanted a corvette as a kid, specifically a 1986 Corvette as I loved the dash, but looked at buying a 2004 Z06, but when I drove one I just didn't like it as much as the 5.0 and with the knowledge I would be paying to fix it all the time, ugh! There was a gorgeous 1994 Corvette called "The Hulk" that had been bored out and cammed with long tubes and some other work done that I test drove too and I almost got it as it was selling for like 14K, but then I sat there and thought about the fact it was that nice, selling for 14K, and that much custom work, something was bound to go wrong or was wrong with it.
i loved the z06 but like you said the up keep on a modded car was a pain. It was almost certain that every 3 months somthing would go wrong rather it be a blown fuse, bulb going out, battery etc... hopfully once i get all the bugs worked out of this one it will get a nice load of mods.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisu05 View Post
i loved the z06 but like you said the up keep on a modded car was a pain. It was almost certain that every 3 months somthing would go wrong rather it be a blown fuse, bulb going out, battery etc... hopfully once i get all the bugs worked out of this one it will get a nice load of mods.
yeah man I hope you get it worked out. I agree with the others sounds like the ECU is either bad or was flashed bad.

Once you do get her up and running these 5.0 engines can take abuse! I put about 5K miles on mine before tuning, just the way it worked out, and I am nearly at 18,000 miles and she drives like a bat outta hell 2 years later. I don't let her chill around either, I run her to the redline, everytime, and she just loves it.

You picked the right car, minus this small downside that I hope you get fixed soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I may have missed it on the thread but what year was the Vette? My only caution is that depending how much you give in to the "mod bug" (and believe me I get it) you'll eventually start having things break regardless what car it is. My Vette was purchased new in 2011 and after spending 60K on the car I didn't want to go too crazy modding. I just did an exhaust, tune and lowered it to the furthest setting on the stock lowering bolts. Had zero issues and loved the car. Dumped it because at the time I was working from home 100% of the time and got a promotion that required more time in the city office and a couple days at Corporate. Didn't want to put the miles on it and it definitely wasn't a daily driver IMHO.

The Stang is a nice blend. Pretty close in TQ/HP according to the butt dyno and has the back seat in a pinch.

And my final comment, and probably the most relevant to this audience, my buddy handed me my @zz in a race with his modded mustang. The mighty Vette had to bow down in a big way.

All good, I'm a car guy so can appreciate all flavors.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #18

ok finally got the car Grapevine Ford. I'm more confused now then i was when i took the car to the first dealership. I pulled into the service bay and told/showed the service tech all the bad spots in the plastic from the bad detail job. Then started on my list of all the current problems half way threw he stopped me and said before he can contiue i would have to get the salesman to come look at the car before they would continue. Ok no big deal after a hour or two waiting getting my rental (2014 5.0 with 5 miles) i go back find the service guy and say ok are you ready to finish with my claim and he said i would have to deal with the sales manager for all of my issues they wouldnt do anything regarding the problems. so i went back to sales and told the guy who acted like he didnt know whats going on and wrote down all of the current problems. Have you guys ever experienced this type of problem. BTW the 2014 5.0 i got actually runs great i can honestly feel a big power/performance difference from my current 5.0.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta love dealerships sometimes.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok finally got the car Grapevine Ford. I'm more confused now then i was when i took the car to the first dealership. I pulled into the service bay and told/showed the service tech all the bad spots in the plastic from the bad detail job. Then started on my list of all the current problems half way threw he stopped me and said before he can contiue i would have to get the salesman to come look at the car before they would continue. Ok no big deal after a hour or two waiting getting my rental (2014 5.0 with 5 miles) i go back find the service guy and say ok are you ready to finish with my claim and he said i would have to deal with the sales manager for all of my issues they wouldnt do anything regarding the problems. so i went back to sales and told the guy who acted like he didnt know whats going on and wrote down all of the current problems. Have you guys ever experienced this type of problem. BTW the 2014 5.0 i got actually runs great i can honestly feel a big power/performance difference from my current 5.0.
what? Makes my head hurt. Why would the sales manager fix your problems? Sounds like the services managers job...I guess give them a day or two and see what happens?

Keep us updated!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
It really sounds like the OP needs to start calling Ford customer service. I imagine they would be very interested in hearing about the runaround he's getting. This is my first Ford, but every other dealer I have worked with took feedback to corporate very seriously. I would wait until I had my car back. If it wasn't fixed, I'd start escalating.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

God that sounds like an awful experience, sorry man! I can't believe your dealership is acting that ridiculous. It's almost like no one wants to be responsible for making all the claims on the car.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
It really sounds like the OP needs to start calling Ford customer service. I imagine they would be very interested in hearing about the runaround he's getting. This is my first Ford, but every other dealer I have worked with took feedback to corporate very seriously. I would wait until I had my car back. If it wasn't fixed, I'd start escalating.
this is what I was thinking. Also might end up surprised and find that they took care of your issues after all.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #24

i'll give them a chance to get it all fixed I mean for a car with 1580 miles there is alot wrong from body molding issues from their detail team to the engine. I'm glad they did give me a 14' 5.0 so i can compare the two. after drive the loaner car for a little bit i can tell a big difference on how it runs. from start up to actually driving its a totally different car. So fingers crossed when i get it back it will run like this loaner.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #25

Ok so today got a call from the dealership. Said the cause of the off performance and running rich was due to the after market axel back exhaust. Said there is an exhaust leak which is the cause of everything and since its not factory warranty is VOID
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so today got a call from the dealership. Said the cause of the off performance and running rich was due to the after market axel back exhaust. Said there is an exhaust leak which is the cause of everything and since its not factory warranty is VOID
LOL what?!

call actual ford. that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisu05
Sounds like BS to me. Axel back is nothing and shouldn't make your car run rich enough to effect it even with a leak all the way behind the axel. I'd def fight it. I'd actually be really pissed. Lmao your ecu is going crazy bc of a axel back. I really can't get over this!!! Time to stop being mr nice guy and go higher in the company.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Call Ford Customer service. An axle back exhaust should NOT cause any of this. IMO you could practically remove it and not cause ANY drivability issues. All the air sampling is handled up-stream of the AB system. Were there issues before the AB was installed?
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Call Ford Customer Service. Many car dealers try to make you go to the dealer where you bought the car. They refuse and the can have their hineys handed to them by Ford.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #30

yeah thats why i'm thinking that still doesnt explain the fuel gauge not giving proper readings or the traction control flashing on and off while driving down the road. I'll go see what they have to say tomorrow and call them out on their bullsh*(. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to trade it in and get one of the last boss 302s they have left lol...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

axle backs won't cause you too run rich, a jacked up ECU can though.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #32

Alright I got the car back. They said the "axel back" isnt leaking but the cat downpipe/hpipe connection is whats leaking. I said i didnt touch that and their response was Oh thats not what we were told... I said how does me touching 3 bolts on each side to remove a stock exhaust affect the front of they car and they had no answer other then well its not factory any more so not covered but well look into it and if we can find that you didnt cause it we will come get the car and fix it... Should i call ford cust care and make a claim?

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Also thank you guys for being great and helpful... I posted on another site because i saw they have ford reps that post and most of the guys there were negative and accused the post to be fake ect...... but you guys have helped alot so thank you
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright I got the car back. They said the "axel back" isnt leaking but the cat downpipe/hpipe connection is whats leaking. I said i didnt touch that and their response was Oh thats not what we were told... I said how does me touching 3 bolts on each side to remove a stock exhaust affect the front of they car and they had no answer other then well its not factory any more so not covered but well look into it and if we can find that you didnt cause it we will come get the car and fix it... Should i call ford cust care and make a claim?

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Also thank you guys for being great and helpful... I posted on another site because i saw they have ford reps that post and most of the guys there were negative andl accused the post to be fake ect...... but you guys have helped alot so thank you
Yes call ford cs. Explain what has happened. Explain how the dealership has treated you. Explain your issues. That dealership will get its *** handed too them.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #34

Aright here is the latest... Driving the car last sunday have the "sport" mode traction on start messing around with a 06/07 gt. I down shift take off car goes traction light starts flashing shuts the car down for about 10 seconds then car kicks back in. I take it into another dealer who is a roush dealer and explain everything from exhaust to traction light and they aree that the other dealer is full of crap. I go pick the car up today and they said they couldnt find any codes or errors for the traction. But the car is "sluggish" and is lacking performance. They said they drove mine and a 14 5.0 and mine just didnt run right. i said ok glad you guys aree there is a problem. but since they cant find any codes they said its a waiting game now....So i guess i'll take the mufflers off go back to stock and drive it until i can get a light on. I just dont understand how they can agree its running bad but cant find anything.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Aright here is the latest... Driving the car last sunday have the "sport" mode traction on start messing around with a 06/07 gt. I down shift take off car goes traction light starts flashing shuts the car down for about 10 seconds then car kicks back in. I take it into another dealer who is a roush dealer and explain everything from exhaust to traction light and they aree that the other dealer is full of crap. I go pick the car up today and they said they couldnt find any codes or errors for the traction. But the car is "sluggish" and is lacking performance. They said they drove mine and a 14 5.0 and mine just didnt run right. i said ok glad you guys aree there is a problem. but since they cant find any codes they said its a waiting game now....So i guess i'll take the mufflers off go back to stock and drive it until i can get a light on. I just dont understand how they can agree its running bad but cant find anything.
I would call actual Ford customer service and explain what that dealership said, your car isn't running right compaired to a brand new 5.0 and something is wrong but they are telling you that you have to drive it till it throws codes.

That just seems unacceptable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT