Oil change questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Oil change questions

I have a 13 5.0

Its time for an oil change. It will be the 2nd one. 1st one was done free at the dealer. Should i bring it into the dealer or is it cheaper to do myself? How many quarts does it take? This is my first mustang so its all new to me. I was thinking of running mobil1 full synthetic. Is this a good option or should i stick with motorcraft oil? I think the filter part # is fr500.

Ive searched online for how to vids to see where the filter is and drain plug but i am not finding the right info. Any help is greatly appreciated.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do it yourself

Lube guys always screw up oil drain plugs , and sometimes will Mess up your car.
Trust me I know I have seen it happen
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, do you know how many quarts it takes? Is the price at the dealer close to the cost if i did it myself? Does the drain plug need a new washer or does it re use a rubber gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Amsol oil. 8 quarts. Not hard to do. Just buy an oil catch pan.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm a first time Mustang owner too and just got a new 13 GT. Do you guys have any preferable brands as far as oil and filter?
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^^^congrats
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4v View Post
do it yourself

lube guys always screw up oil drain plugs , and sometimes will mess up your car.
Trust me i know i have seen it happen
not all lube guys screw up peoples cars. I used to be a service advisor for a lube shop. My guys nor i ever messed up anyones cars we took great pride in working on them. And chances are greater someone who hasnt done their own oil change will have more problems than someone who has had the proper training. Not gunna lie im kinda taking your comment personal.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
I have a 13 5.0

Its time for an oil change. It will be the 2nd one. 1st one was done free at the dealer. Should i bring it into the dealer or is it cheaper to do myself? How many quarts does it take? This is my first mustang so its all new to me. I was thinking of running mobil1 full synthetic. Is this a good option or should i stick with motorcraft oil? I think the filter part # is fr500.

Ive searched online for how to vids to see where the filter is and drain plug but i am not finding the right info. Any help is greatly appreciated.
+1 Mobil synthetic
Gabesayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh BTW to answer your last question there is a flip down plastic shield under the front of the car. You undo the screws and it folds down and then you can pull the plug and oil filter. It is right in your face once the plastic flap is pulled down.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Mobil 1 is nothing special. Want a much better oil and filter? Amsoil which is a true synthetic. Mobil 1 isn't.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You may save a few bucks by doing it yourself, but if you're putting in full synthetic it does get a little pricey. It probably will almost be more expensive to do it yourself over having someone else give you an oil change with conventional oil. But in all honesty, I like to change my oil so that's pretty much the reason I do it myself. Any smaller item like tuneups, oil changes, brakes, fuel filter etc. I do myself just for the enjoyment of it.

I also use the motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter. I figure if the motor was built and tested with it and Ford suggests it, why not use it?

All depends if you want to or have the tools to do it yourself!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yea do it yourself, it's always fun to change your oil. I stared using royal purple can't complain I filled her up with 8 quarts then add a little more if u have to. For the filter Im using the k&n. I spend 90$ cause my friend works at a auto shop gave me a quart for free n the oil pan lol n saved like 30$. It's cheaper to go to the dealership, but then again you and your car will have a connection n u can assure u did everything correctly. As to oil there's lots put there its all about preference.
Alexg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Lots and lots of oil threads, myths, and opinions on oil and oil filters. Keep with the Motorcraft oil filter as a start; they are great filters, and can go up to 7 to 10K in filtering. As to oil? here's where a "discussion" will always come about. I use different manufacturers of oil. I'll use Castrol, Mobil 1, and Valvoline. I start checking for specials as I get close to requiring an oil change.

Here's the other major "discussion" that comes about..."How long do you run the oil?" Most all agree that full synthetic is the best. However, if you use full synthetic, and only keep it in the engine for 3K, then your tossing money away. Go back to semi synthetic, such as the Ford oil that came with your Mustang when it was sold to you. Even Ford states you can run semi-synthetic for up to 7K. Most don't go that far with the semi though. Ford added extra capacity in the oil pan to gain an extra quart for this purpose.

So, semi is good up to 7K, full synthetic is good to 7K or higher.

Me, I drive almost 800 miles a week, so changing my oil once a month using semi-synthetic is not a wise choice, so I use the full synthetic and go 3 to 4 months (just under 8K on a n oil change)

And questions such as how much oil do I need can be answered by your owners manual. Great stuff in it. Next time your in the library (!), take it with you and thumb through it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Mobil 1 is nothing special. Want a much better oil and filter? Amsoil which is a true synthetic. Mobil 1 isn't.
Amdsoil is nothin special
Gabesayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
not all lube guys screw up peoples cars. I used to be a service advisor for a lube shop. My guys nor i ever messed up anyones cars we took great pride in working on them. And chances are greater someone who hasnt done their own oil change will have more problems than someone who has had the proper training. Not gunna lie im kinda taking your comment personal.
I consider myself pretty skilled with tools. Ive built my last tuner car myself so oil changes are nothing to me.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the guy who designed the oil filter access cover needs to be kicked in the balls? The oil runs onto everything it can besides having a straight shot down into the pan. I have to spray brake cleaner all over the place and wipe all the spilled oil off the plastics and bracing. I'm about ready to choke somebody when I'm done. /rant.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the guy who designed the oil filter access cover needs to be kicked in the balls? The oil runs onto everything it can besides having a straight shot down into the pan. I have to spray brake cleaner all over the place and wipe all the spilled oil off the plastics and bracing. I'm about ready to choke somebody when I'm done. /rant.
Use a zip lock bag over the filter
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
I don't change my oil as I have the maintenance plan but I notice all the time how messy it is with oil down there because of this. When I spray out the engine bay it just spills out and goes everywhere. Wohoo for the environment
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
read up on it, take your time, triple check what you do, dont force anything to screw on or come off to much. I would look into Amsoil if you are keeping the car a while, if you are selling it just run OEM ford semi synth in it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
amsoil and royal purple are made and are pure synthetic, while mobile 1 is not 100% pure synthetic in its makup~ but all are great and will do the job.

If you REALLY want to know you must have your oil tested to see how much life and containments in it when you change it then you can see how its running. As far as wear they are all probably about the same.

I personally run mobile 1 (it works dont mess with it policy lol)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT