Where to begin? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
Hi all! Thanks for taking time to read my looong post. I have so many more questions, but these are the ones burning me up. Beg pardon if I missed a "newbie" thread where I'm supposed to put this sort of thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 GT. I'm completely new to the hobby and the community. I've had it about 5 months now, though I haven't really gotten to drive it much. At this point, I've only got about 1100 miles on it. I'm STILL getting used to driving a manual transmission.

As spring approaches, I've started to get an appetite to do some upgrades. I'm pretty clueless, so I came here looking for advice. I've basically got my hat in my hands- I have no valuable input to contribute. Here's hoping that will change as time goes by!

I'd really like to make some changes to the exhaust. I can't hear the engine over the stereo unless I turn the music way down. I need the feedback to know when to shift. Also, I will admit to wanting to get some more attention on the road. I'd like to keep the idle relatively quiet, but really hear some noise at higher RPM's. Any advice on how to achieve that?

I got the car at a discount because the guy who originally ordered it cancelled at the last minute. I really like the look of the stripes, but I'm not sure whether to keep them. Frankly, I worry that people will think I'm trying to fake a GT500. They are vinyl stripes, and I think they could be removed at this point. Do I keep the stripes, remove them, or replace them with painted stripes? Any advice or opinion is most welcome.
the white stripes look real clean on that blue.wouldnt get rid of them. JLT Cold Air
Intake and a custom tune is always a good investment.
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post
Personally, I like the stripes. If you do too, then who cares what anyone else thinks? Also, welcome. =)

I can't give much advice on the exhaust, other than YouTube or American Muscle.

If you want to hear the engine, check this out. It's so easy:

I tried this today. I couldn't actually get out and drive, because we got blasted with snow again. I'll have to see if it sounds any louder or different when I'm on the road. I have a decibel meter app for my phone. It's hardly lab-grade equipment, but it should be sensitive enough to pick up big differences. I measured sound levels by placing the phone on the passenger seat. Car was in the garage, with the garage door open and the hood closed. I tried it for 10 seconds at idle and 10 seconds at 2900-3100 RPM.
Idle before: 76 dB
Idle after: 74 dB
2900-3100 RPM before: 87dB
2900-3100 RPM after: 86 dB

The slight changes are probably well within the margin of error for my measurement methodology. I'd call it no detectable difference. Anyway, it's a poor substitute for listening while driving. I can't wait for the weather to warm up.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Okay, almost 2 weeks later and I've finally gotten to drive with those foam plugs out. Wow, what a difference! I couldn't hear a darn thing different sitting in my garage and revving the engine a bit. Once I got it on the road it sounded so totally different I couldn't believe it.

Ordering some parts from American Muscle tonight. They'll be the first parts I order from them. Or anyone, actually. From their customer service posts I've seen in other threads, looks like they treat their customers right.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT