Where to begin? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Where to begin?

Hi all! Thanks for taking time to read my looong post. I have so many more questions, but these are the ones burning me up. Beg pardon if I missed a "newbie" thread where I'm supposed to put this sort of thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 GT. I'm completely new to the hobby and the community. I've had it about 5 months now, though I haven't really gotten to drive it much. At this point, I've only got about 1100 miles on it. I'm STILL getting used to driving a manual transmission.

As spring approaches, I've started to get an appetite to do some upgrades. I'm pretty clueless, so I came here looking for advice. I've basically got my hat in my hands- I have no valuable input to contribute. Here's hoping that will change as time goes by!

I'd really like to make some changes to the exhaust. I can't hear the engine over the stereo unless I turn the music way down. I need the feedback to know when to shift. Also, I will admit to wanting to get some more attention on the road. I'd like to keep the idle relatively quiet, but really hear some noise at higher RPM's. Any advice on how to achieve that?

I got the car at a discount because the guy who originally ordered it cancelled at the last minute. I really like the look of the stripes, but I'm not sure whether to keep them. Frankly, I worry that people will think I'm trying to fake a GT500. They are vinyl stripes, and I think they could be removed at this point. Do I keep the stripes, remove them, or replace them with painted stripes? Any advice or opinion is most welcome.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Exhaust varies person to person. I recommend YouTube or American Muscle for sound bites. I shift around 3-4k when I want to hear that sweet pipe music...
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Personally, I like the stripes. If you do too, then who cares what anyone else thinks? Also, welcome. =)

I can't give much advice on the exhaust, other than YouTube or American Muscle.

If you want to hear the engine, check this out. It's so easy:

BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Don't worry about what people think you're trying to fake ... it's your car. Lots of people have stripes.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The only people who will think you're trying to fake a GT500 are people who know nothing about Mustangs. I don't think stripes are in any way an imitation. Do not take them off, unless you want to get the painted on, which will be pretty expensive.

That being said, get the 2011-2012 GT500 exhaust haha. Sounds loud when you get on it and quiet during idle and cruising.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
The only people who will think you're trying to fake a GT500 are people who know nothing about Mustangs. I don't think stripes are in any way an imitation. Do not take them off, unless you want to get the painted on, which will be pretty expensive.

That being said, get the 2011-2012 GT500 exhaust haha. Sounds loud when you get on it and quiet during idle and cruising.
Haha speaking if which, shortly after I obtained my 13, someone asked me "how's the Shelby drive?" I just said it wasn't a shelby and he said I shouldn't try to make it something that it isn't. Guess he didn't get the demo on the facelift.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Haha speaking if which, shortly after I obtained my 13, someone asked me "how's the Shelby drive?" I just said it wasn't a shelby and he said I shouldn't try to make it something that it isn't. Guess he didn't get the demo on the facelift.
Haha this is what I'm talking about. The whole lower half of the front bumper is different on the shelby.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
Hi all! Thanks for taking time to read my looong post. I have so many more questions, but these are the ones burning me up. Beg pardon if I missed a "newbie" thread where I'm supposed to put this sort of thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 GT. I'm completely new to the hobby and the community. I've had it about 5 months now, though I haven't really gotten to drive it much. At this point, I've only got about 1100 miles on it. I'm STILL getting used to driving a manual transmission.

As spring approaches, I've started to get an appetite to do some upgrades. I'm pretty clueless, so I came here looking for advice. I've basically got my hat in my hands- I have no valuable input to contribute. Here's hoping that will change as time goes by!

I'd really like to make some changes to the exhaust. I can't hear the engine over the stereo unless I turn the music way down. I need the feedback to know when to shift. Also, I will admit to wanting to get some more attention on the road. I'd like to keep the idle relatively quiet, but really hear some noise at higher RPM's. Any advice on how to achieve that?

I got the car at a discount because the guy who originally ordered it cancelled at the last minute. I really like the look of the stripes, but I'm not sure whether to keep them. Frankly, I worry that people will think I'm trying to fake a GT500. They are vinyl stripes, and I think they could be removed at this point. Do I keep the stripes, remove them, or replace them with painted stripes? Any advice or opinion is most welcome.
This is what i did, it has the shelby wing, rear diffuser and quad exhaust, and no one, i mean no one has said its a gt500

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_093546.png
Views:	256
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	96716

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_093556.png
Views:	244
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	96717

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_093607.png
Views:	271
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	96718
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post

This is what i did, it has the shelby wing, rear diffuser and quad exhaust, and no one, i mean no one has said its a gt500
The reason on one said its a gt500 cause it don't look anything like a gt500

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13boss302 View Post

It has 5.0 on side and gt on rear hard to even think its a gt500
13boss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13boss302 View Post

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

It has 5.0 on side and gt on rear hard to even think its a gt500
Well thats the point im making, even though he has stripes like the gt500, everyone can tell its a dam 5.0
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
spend time researching, find local shows/events and talk to owners about mods find out what they liked about them how they look etc and get a feel for what you want. Then do the mods, its more fun to do little by little than all at once.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome aboard! Looks like our cars are twins! (Hard to tell in the profile pic, but looks like you have the deep impact blue color).

I also vote on keeping the stripes, but I might be a little biased lol. I always get a lot of compliments on the stripes, and nobody has ever mentioned anything about trying to fake a Shelby.

Exhaust wise, I just installed the gt500 exhaust from ford racing, and I love the sound! It's a little loud on a cold start, but it settles down once the car warns up. You can definitely hear the exhaust when accelerating, even when you're not gunning it. When you do gun, it gets pretty loud. Not as loud as some of these other exhausts, but I did not want anything too loud. It's loud enough to hear it when accelerating and having music playing in the background at the same time. Also, when cruising, it's just slightly louder than stock, which is what I really wanted. II didn't want much noise when cruising.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Welcome man, nice ride!

I agree on the exhaust, youtube is your best bet to find what you want. There is a TON of videos on there with every combination imaginable. Americanmuscle.com also has a ton of clips of the exhausts on a stock midpipe which can help you figure out what just a new catback will sound like.

As for shifting, I rarely shift over 3k RPMS in city driving (unless I'm getting on it.) I usually keep my motor when cruising around 2k RPMs, which seems to help improve gas mileage a little bit when I get into conservative mode. If i'm going 45-50mph+ I shift into 5th but usually have it in 4th for all speeds that I can below that.

It seems like everyone drives different, but that's how I always have driven my MT cars. I always try to keep the RPMs as reasonably low as I can while still being able to have a little punch when I push on the gas.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Your stang is great the way it is!!!! The strips are cool, now let it breath by adding a mean exhaust!
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post

Rims? And $ for the set if you don't mind me asking ?
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'm also in the same boat as the OP exhaust wise. However, I am wanting a louder exhaust note during idle and cruising. What do you guys recommend?

Congrats on your new car, dude!

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You guys want NASCAR rasp or deep sound? There are good choices for both sides.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
You guys want NASCAR rasp or deep sound? There are good choices for both sides.
Deep sound.

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
Deep sound.
Borla borla borla borla. Had the roush and switched to borla. Anyone that tells you the roush has a deep sound hasn't heard the borlas. like fire and ice.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post

Man i got them sponsored, but for.tires check with AM 6% off and discounttiredirect.com, call them i got.awesome deals, all.four tires for.1k

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Deep sound.
Or gt500s, but borlas are thw way to go.aswell

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post

They are Incurves btw
http://vosmotorsports.com/product_in...20x105-p-44629
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to all for the input. I like the stripes. It wasn't until after I picked it up that I had second thoughts on them. I just didn't want to show up to my very first cruise ever and have everyone say "Who does this poser think he's fooling?"

I will start searching YouTube for the exhausts you guys mentioned right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post
If you want to hear the engine, check this out. It's so easy:

See, I'm learning already. I can't wait to try this tip out on the weekend! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
spend time researching, find local shows/events and talk to owners about mods find out what they liked about them how they look etc and get a feel for what you want. Then do the mods, its more fun to do little by little than all at once.
Doing it a little at a time sounds like good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post
Welcome aboard! Looks like our cars are twins! (Hard to tell in the profile pic, but looks like you have the deep impact blue color).
Yes, it's Deep Impact Blue. I don't have the side stripes though. My stripes aren't factory- they were done by a local woman at the the dealership. Judging from your signature, I think we basically got the same important options. Mine's a manual with the track pack. Those were the things I was looking for. It's also got the nav system and the comfort package, which I could have easily done without. It came with side scoops and window louvers, but I had the dealer remove them. Personally I like the look better without those options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post

As for shifting, I rarely shift over 3k RPMS in city driving (unless I'm getting on it.) I usually keep my motor when cruising around 2k RPMs, which seems to help improve gas mileage a little bit when I get into conservative mode. If i'm going 45-50mph+ I shift into 5th but usually have it in 4th for all speeds that I can below that.

It seems like everyone drives different, but that's how I always have driven my MT cars. I always try to keep the RPMs as reasonably low as I can while still being able to have a little punch when I push on the gas.
My problems with driving a stick probably stem from never learning how until I was 35. Everyone said it was easy, but they all learned at 14 or 15 and have had 20 or 30 years of experience. I still have trouble judging how fast to let the clutch out, and syncing the engine speed to my road speed. So I lurch and buck and jump on down the road. I bought a '94 Sentra with a 5-speed a month before I found my Mustang. I figured I could practice on a hunk of junk for a while and use it as a daily driver to get myself really used to driving a manual. Problem is it taught me lots of habits that don't translate well to my Mustang. I think the Sentra factory spec was only 85hp. It probably hasn't gotten better over the years. So I really have to rev it up to get rolling on the slightest incline. When I forget and do the same thing with my Mustang, it really feels like I'm SLAMMING it into gear. Also, the clutch is naturally 100x looser in the Sentra. Lots of motion to ease into a gear. Not so much on the Mustang. Feels like a whisker of motion between completely disengaged and fully engaged.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Borla borla borla borla. Had the roush and switched to borla. Anyone that tells you the roush has a deep sound hasn't heard the borlas. like fire and ice.
Borla mufflers? What about the rest of the system?

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Jba xpipe and ur done
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you want long tubes? O/r x or h? How far do you want too go?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you want long tubes? O/r x or h? How far do you want too go?
That is my question, what do the different pipes offer and how far can I go?

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Agreed. Needs more research! BTW TCopp, good to see another newbie from the KC area.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed. Needs more research! BTW TCopp, good to see another newbie from the KC area.
Ha, where are you from dude?

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you have emission testing where you live? That can dictate it.

You can do long tubes and shorty h or x pipe with or without cats.

Removing cats will drastically increase volume and give you a power boost. Adding high flow cats will ad a little louder volume and a small small amount more power.

You can just do an off road mid pipe which gives you the benefits above, long tubes will help with power.

Changing the axle backs will really only change sound.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you have emission testing where you live? That can dictate it.

You can do long tubes and shorty h or x pipe with or without cats.

Removing cats will drastically increase volume and give you a power boost. Adding high flow cats will ad a little louder volume and a small small amount more power.

You can just do an off road mid pipe which gives you the benefits above, long tubes will help with power.

Changing the axle backs will really only change sound.
I live in MO, ill have to look into it. Sounds like long tube with the h or x without cats is what I'm looking for.

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the madness!!!

Some quick pointers, before making a mod, try to see that mod in person, hear that mod in person, sometimes pictures and videos on the internet just don't do things justice. Ask, ask, and ask again. Research, research, and do some more research. Someone, somewhere has or is using what you want. It can be an expensive hobby and my friend it is a hobby, and more importantly an addiction. You think you can stop at just one mod, think again. And regardless of what anyone says or shows you, make sure it's what you want. There are so many variations of Mustangs out there, they are all unique and the owners own design, thoughts, dreams, and hard work put into modding their Stang.

Last, make sure you have fun doing it...I'm sure I forgot things...but you get the idea
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also glad to see more KC representation. Come out to the Mustang Club of Greater KC and you'll get to hear all kinds of setups. And most of us have stripes. We cruise every third Friday starting in April out at Bates City BBQ in Shawnee. 4/13 is the first night this year. Even if you're not a member come on out.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

@TCopp, I sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
Welcome to the madness!!!

Some quick pointers, before making a mod, try to see that mod in person, hear that mod in person, sometimes pictures and videos on the internet just don't do things justice. Ask, ask, and ask again. Research, research, and do some more research. Someone, somewhere has or is using what you want. It can be an expensive hobby and my friend it is a hobby, and more importantly an addiction. You think you can stop at just one mod, think again. And regardless of what anyone says or shows you, make sure it's what you want. There are so many variations of Mustangs out there, they are all unique and the owners own design, thoughts, dreams, and hard work put into modding their Stang.

Last, make sure you have fun doing it...I'm sure I forgot things...but you get the idea
That all sounds like good advice. Seeing stuff in person is why I'm looking forward to spring. I have a couple of co-workers who own Mustangs. One of them goes to a local club most Fridays, when the weather is good. I plan to tag along sometimes.

Sooner or later I suppose I should sit down and try and think of some long-term goals. I've seen cars where the owner just seems to throw money at it, with no plan. They seem to just end up gaudy.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Also glad to see more KC representation. Come out to the Mustang Club of Greater KC and you'll get to hear all kinds of setups. And most of us have stripes. We cruise every third Friday starting in April out at Bates City BBQ in Shawnee. 4/13 is the first night this year. Even if you're not a member come on out.
Got sidetracked while writing my other post, and this popped up in the interim. Thanks for the invite. I'm pretty sure my buddy at work goes to this cruise. I'll probably be there!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That all sounds like good advice. Seeing stuff in person is why I'm looking forward to spring. I have a couple of co-workers who own Mustangs. One of them goes to a local club most Fridays, when the weather is good. I plan to tag along sometimes.

Sooner or later I suppose I should sit down and try and think of some long-term goals. I've seen cars where the owner just seems to throw money at it, with no plan. They seem to just end up gaudy.[COLOR="Silver"]
Seems like you have the right idea. That's for sure, there are some gaudy ones out there. Not sure what people are thinking, but hey it's their Pony...lol
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post

Ah, I love Bates. I use to live 5 minutes from there. Ill have to start coming out.

2013 GT/CS
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

You're right about the throwing $$ with no plan. Keep it clean and keep it simple. I know my goal is a bad a$$ partial daily driver that I could somewhat keep up with the guys at the track. I know I've got a rough ride but I love feeling the road. I want the best of both worlds so just going for the overall fun factor. I love to drive! And my 3 yr old son loves to 'go fast'. Fun planting him back in his car seat. Yes I do put a car seat in back. They do fit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT