band clamps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
band clamps

Anyone have a recommendation on getting some for the exhaust on our car? The ones off the stock muffler suck and I guess because of the O/R X they love to unseal and then I get wacky bad drone, so I have to get under the car and loosen and reset them and then tighten them back down.

I had roush ones with the roush axle backs and they were much sturdier, tighter and wider than OEM.

Seems like Magneflow has good ones, but I don't need a 10 pack and that is all I can find online from them.

I did find some nice ones at carid.com for like $13, but when I went to buy them, shipping was $300...Made sure my address and country and stuff were correct. That made me beyond iffy from buying from them at all ever.

I am half tempted to e-mail roush and see if they will just sell me a pair!

suggestions welcome.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Maverick2004054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cooper City
Region: Florida
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on getting some for the exhaust on our car? The ones off the stock muffler suck and I guess because of the O/R X they love to unseal and then I get wacky bad drone, so I have to get under the car and loosen and reset them and then tighten them back down.

I had roush ones with the roush axle backs and they were much sturdier, tighter and wider than OEM.

Seems like Magneflow has good ones, but I don't need a 10 pack and that is all I can find online from them.

I did find some nice ones at carid.com for like $13, but when I went to buy them, shipping was $300...Made sure my address and country and stuff were correct. That made me beyond iffy from buying from them at all ever.

I am half tempted to e-mail roush and see if they will just sell me a pair!

suggestions welcome.
Call Roush, you'd be surprised what they are willing to sell you! I'm sure they will sell a pair!
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004054 View Post
Call Roush, you'd be surprised what they are willing to sell you! I'm sure they will sell a pair!
I have a feeling I will end up doing that. I love the borla axelbacks but my one beef is the lack of better clamps. The fact they expect you to use the stock ones is silly for the 700+ price point.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 53
im running into the same problem with the clamps from my cat deletes to my borla X. has a slight leak right now no matter what. feels like the clamp wont get small enough to make a good seal
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
im running into the same problem with the clamps from my cat deletes to my borla X. has a slight leak right now no matter what. feels like the clamp wont get small enough to make a good seal
While I don't wish the problem on anyone, I am glad to see it isn't just me.

I am still looking for a solution which will probably be getting the ones from roush. I won't have time today but I'll call or e-mail them tomorrow.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
CorDog009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
On my cat delete pipes, the flanges seemed to have a bigger outside diameter than my H-pipe and leaked badly at the clamp. I just had them welded together and was done with it.
__________________
'13 Deep Impact Blue GT, auto, BBK cat deletes, GT-500 A/B's, C&L tuned DiabloSport inTune, sound tube delete, BBK 85mm TB, JLT oil separator, NX plate kit.
CorDog009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boomdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 681
I've had a few issues with the Pypes band clamps. I agree that they never seem to get tight enough to seal it all the way, but it always seems to be only on one of the sides which is even more annoying. The band clamps are definitely more convenient to use, but I still feel that the ball and socket or whatever it's called on the fox exhaust sealed much better.
__________________
Torque: It's like crack for your right foot
Boomdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Champaign
Region: Illinois
Posts: 24
and one time, and band clamp................sorry somebody had to do it
kk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
On my cat delete pipes, the flanges seemed to have a bigger outside diameter than my H-pipe and leaked badly at the clamp. I just had them welded together and was done with it.
I would do that but I may still change my exhaust.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 53
Same here. I need to be able to throw on my cats
__________________
2012 Premium GT. Borla S-type catback
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
86custom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 221
I had the BBK delete pipes that leaked so I put my old cats on and then then bands were stretched. So I ordered some stainless steel clamps from jeg$ cost me around $50 for 3inch. I put them on and they were too small too. So I cut 3/4 inch out the factory ones welded it back and tightened it redneck tight. And it still leaks oh well it'll do till I get it welded up or replaced.
__________________
2011 Gt, Mt-82, C&L cai, SSW catback
Bama can tune, gutted cats
Godspeed wheels 20x8 up front 20x10 on rear
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

I would do that but I may still change my exhaust.
I thought you had the best money could buy: confused
For a few bucs a pc, you can get
u-bolt clamps at a muffler shop that work the best. I had the same problem on my last car, once I installed the u-bolt clamps I never touched it again.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom View Post
I had the BBK delete pipes that leaked so I put my old cats on and then then bands were stretched. So I ordered some stainless steel clamps from jeg$ cost me around $50 for 3inch. I put them on and they were too small too. So I cut 3/4 inch out the factory ones welded it back and tightened it redneck tight. And it still leaks oh well it'll do till I get it welded up or replaced.
Well problem I see is the width on them. The roush were 1.5 times the wedth of the stockers. The rush were also curved deeper for really clamping down on the ball socket.
I literally had zero leaks with the roush and those clamps. I still have trouble with the borla and stock clamps. I had the roush clamps on the car with the borla at first but when I traded them to someone else for springs I wasn't a jerk and gave them too him. Regret that a little but I am not that kinda guy.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Yea the ball clamp on my drivers side always leaked a bit on my Borla... Don't know why, it's super tight
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea the ball clamp on my drivers side always leaked a bit on my Borla... Don't know why, it's super tight
That is the one I am having issues with. It does seal but then unseals randomly.

In my case not having the cats I get an insanely bad drone when it does.

Gonna throw her up on jack stands tomorrow and loosen the OTA pipes and reangle them both. See if that helps any.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
So just updating that I finally e-mailed roush today. Waiting a response. When I had the car up on jack stands doing my LCA and relobracket install on saturday I looked at the connections for the mufflers and they should be solid but the clamps allow the mufflers to move once clamped down and I think that is my problem. When I had the roush axle backs and roush clamps those suckes once clamped down wouldn't flex or move.

I hope they will sell me their clamps and we'll be good. My other option is who is willing to buy in if I order the magneflow clamps and they end up working well? $80 for 5 sets so 16 dollars a person plus you pay shipping.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:49 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.