So i want ghost cam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So i want ghost cam

Ok what's best off road pipe to get in order to se ghost cam ? I know requires a off road pipe but what's cheapest and best quality and average price to install? I don't have ramps to attempt it on own. I have flowmasters but ready to take a step in performance direction now
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Ok what's best off road pipe to get in order to se ghost cam ? I know requires a off road pipe but what's cheapest and best quality and average price to install? I don't have ramps to attempt it on own. I have flowmasters but ready to take a step in performance direction now
First look at finding a shop that will do it since you are taking the cats off since it is technically illegal. I was quoted around 200 around here. You'll pay between 250 and 300 for an off road pipe.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks would I call like a Midas or something ? And I know for here in Illinois they just plug into the obd port and that's it. I do plan on long tubes down the road as well just wana gain some power for now and do that bama tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks would I call like a Midas or something ? And I know for here in Illinois they just plug into the obd port and that's it. I do plan on long tubes down the road as well just wana gain some power for now and do that bama tune
Yeah I had gotten quotes from them. Pretty much any muffler shop or any performance shop will.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
why dont you spend 30.00 bucks on jackstands or ramps and do it yourself... its a VERY SIMPLE job....
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I work everyday and simply don't have the time between work and school. My dad will take it to shop for me so it's what I usually do for any mod. Not that I can't just don't have time. I wonder if they could just make me a off road x pipe as well
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
why dont you spend 30.00 bucks on jackstands or ramps and do it yourself... its a VERY SIMPLE job....
not simple if the passenger side bolt won't come free off the one cat pipe. That bolt is a PITA
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
+1 It's literally four bolts.

Quote:
I work everyday and simply don't have the time between work and school. My dad will take it to shop for me so it's what I usually do for any mod. Not that I can't just don't have time. I wonder if they could just make me a off road x pipe as well
It really doesn't take that long, much less than $200+ of your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
not simple if the passenger side bolt won't come free off the one cat pipe. That bolt is a PITA
Yes, it's very simple and we've covered that bolt in great detail since 2011. Soak them all in penetrating lubricant and use extensions and a swivel to get at it from the engine compartment. Is it a tough bolt to remove, sure ... but there are about a dozen write-ups on these forums talking about what has and hasn't worked to get it off.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Also, pretty much all the off-road pipes are going to be the same, just pick whatever works for you. I got mine from UPR, but seriously every vendor sells them. Just don't get the $500+ Magnaflow.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

if I had to pay for every mod I did to my car for installs I would be broke , and these cars are so easy to work on,, especially the exhaust... working on your car is the best part of making it go fast, but thats my opinion..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to just I don't have my own garage yet . I work on my sportbike my self and that's my hobby I'd love to learn about cars but waiting until I have my own garage and things.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't have a garage either. Just some ramps, jackstands and floor jack with a driveway. When I did my car delete pipes, the car only had a few hundred miles on it so the nuts came off the studs easy and weren't siezed on there yet. A shallow socket, u-joint and some extensions (3/8" drive) and I was good. Probably 45 mins start to finish.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
I don't have a garage either. Just some ramps, jackstands and floor jack with a driveway. When I did my car delete pipes, the car only had a few hundred miles on it so the nuts came off the studs easy and weren't siezed on there yet. A shallow socket, u-joint and some extensions (3/8" drive) and I was good. Probably 45 mins start to finish.
lucky you...lol...took a strip nut removal socket sold by sears that the more the socket "slips" the tighter it digs into the bolt to get it off and that was after trying with a normal socket and a few different anti seiz/rust removal etc. sprays and letting it soak for hours. I had near 10K miles I think it was when I did mine. Already had gone through one winter with the car too.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
lucky you...lol...took a strip nut removal socket sold by sears that the more the socket "slips" the tighter it digs into the bolt to get it off and that was after trying with a normal socket and a few different anti seiz/rust removal etc. sprays and letting it soak for hours. I had near 10K miles I think it was when I did mine. Already had gone through one winter with the car too.
That's why you need to use a swivel/u-joint. You can not get the socket square on the nut from that angle, and it will slip and round it off.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
+1 on the swivel.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
That's why you need to use a swivel/u-joint. You can not get the socket square on the nut from that angle, and it will slip and round it off.
I did, wouldn't come off. I popped the swivel socket off long before that bolt ever came free. over and over again. I think it finally stripped from that. It was rusted on there tight.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Be sure and keep the cats....you'll be re-installing before long. While your local area cops and lack of inspection may be good reason to remove them, its a federal law that states they must be on a car. Should you ever sell the car to a private individual, or attempt to trade it in without the cats, you can still be held liable, and pay a hefty fine. No dealer can sell a vehicle without the cats; if they do, they must buy the vehicle back, and/or pay a fine. If you sell it privately, the buyer can sue you and will win. You take the vehicle back, (pay back the buyer), plus pay a fine upwards of 30K!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

This car aint going anywhere !! Lol and ya just gping to put them in the boxes new pipe comes in and put um in shed . I really hope I don't get stopped lol I have the worst luck but honestly at idle shouldn't be a issue just no wot in town lol
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Be sure and keep the cats....you'll be re-installing before long. While your local area cops and lack of inspection may be good reason to remove them, its a federal law that states they must be on a car. Should you ever sell the car to a private individual, or attempt to trade it in without the cats, you can still be held liable, and pay a hefty fine. No dealer can sell a vehicle without the cats; if they do, they must buy the vehicle back, and/or pay a fine. If you sell it privately, the buyer can sue you and will win. You take the vehicle back, (pay back the buyer), plus pay a fine upwards of 30K!
While I don't disagree, and actually didn't realize the penalty was so high.... Willing to bet you could trade in 50 stangs sans the Cats without a problem. There is a custom tuner here in town that can dyno tune the car so that it won't raise red flags at inspection. But even without that, dealerships aren't that thorough. Once it is theirs, I don't see it coming back to me as a problem
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Actually, I just bought a Honda where the 02 sensors were removed and the cat was removed(private sale) state or federal officials could not be bothered to help me pursue prosecuting or suing the guy. I was left holding the bill.
Now it's partially my fault for not inspecting closer, the bulb for the check engine light was also removed.. The repairs were right at $500.. Suing would have cost me money by the time I had taken off work and paid the cost of filing the suit.. I was pretty pissed the local DMV or EPA wanted no part of it but at the end of the day it was a learning experience
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This car aint going anywhere !! Lol and ya just gping to put them in the boxes new pipe comes in and put um in shed . I really hope I don't get stopped lol I have the worst luck but honestly at idle shouldn't be a issue just no wot in town lol
I have off road H pipe JBA and it is not loud under 2k or idle. The smell of gas would be a give away but the sound is very controllable.
Now anywhere above 2k it is super super extremely loud and will be a cop magnet for sure. I still don't get any drone on the highway.
I have the Intune so they still don't have the ghost cam for it yet
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well guess il just keep it under 2k around town lol well see how bama cam is drivability wise and mpg wise if It sucks it won't be on long lol
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
While I don't disagree, and actually didn't realize the penalty was so high.... Willing to bet you could trade in 50 stangs sans the Cats without a problem. There is a custom tuner here in town that can dyno tune the car so that it won't raise red flags at inspection. But even without that, dealerships aren't that thorough. Once it is theirs, I don't see it coming back to me as a problem
the laws with cats are really goofy and really stupid. One of these days maybe they'll finally stop enforcing them. Also I don't think the penalty is 30K for an individual. I think the max for an individual is near 10K unless you live in like CA with its silly laws maybe. Also what stops you from selling it as an off road track car? Those cars are still tagged and insured if I am not mistaken. I should say you can do that as they have a vin and the BMV doesn't ask if the vehicle is street legal or not.

Now dealerships on the other hand can get hit really hard for selling a car without cats. Their fines are ridiculous and also require them to pay to make the car past the emissions test. If you buy a car from a dealer and within a certain period, i forget how long, you have an emissions test and the car and it fails, dealership has to pay to make it emissions legal regardless of warranty on the car.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
I have off road H pipe JBA and it is not loud under 2k or idle. The smell of gas would be a give away but the sound is very controllable.
Now anywhere above 2k it is super super extremely loud and will be a cop magnet for sure. I still don't get any drone on the highway.
I have the Intune so they still don't have the ghost cam for it yet
Honestly would love to see a cop pull someone over because of how the exhaust smells haha. Yes I agree it is a quick and easy way to tell the cats are gone, but ow many cops do you honestly think know this. Chances are if they do, they are probably for it and will let it slide unless your just being a jerk to them and asking for trouble.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You can't sue anyone when you buy a car as is, whether private or from a dealership. That's the whole reason for the law to start with, as is, means as is. I sold my 05 to an Ohio dealer that tried to tell me they couldn't sell it that way. I told them they could sell anything as is. He admitted he could, he just couldn't warranty it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Lethal Performance has a good deal on theirs.
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT