What are my chances? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What are my chances?

Have a local idiot from a car show with a 02 vette talking mess about my car. He claims to have had bored out his ls1 5.7 to a 383 with port/polished heads and long tubes headers. He does have long tubes from what I can see, but his car does not sound cammed at all and he couldn't answer me when I ask who tuned it. He claims it's making 600+rwhp all motor and that he bumped the compression ratio to 11:1 when they rebuilt the motor. His car is convertible with stock wheels/tires, 0 suspension modifications and not even so much as a cold air intake... Claims it runs 10s this way. I want to race him to either shut him up completely or prove I can keep up with his 600hp monster.

I have on my 12 gt:
PTM jlt intake
Jon Lund tunes
JBA after cat h-pipe
Roush AB
Sr short shifter
Barton 2 post bracket
Ford racing LCA's
B&M panhard
19" 13 gt500 replicas on nitto invos

I have a 01 lightning pushing 478rwhp/566tq (best 1/4 of 11.01 at 124mph) and butt dyno in the mustang tells me they are comparable in speed once the mustangs rpms get up there. Think I have a chance?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Have a local idiot from a car show with a 02 vette talking mess about my car. He claims to have had bored out his ls1 5.7 to a 383 with port/polished heads and long tubes headers. He does have long tubes from what I can see, but his car does not sound cammed at all and he couldn't answer me when I ask who tuned it. He claims it's making 600+rwhp all motor and that he bumped the compression ratio to 11:1 when they rebuilt the motor. His car is convertible with stock wheels/tires, 0 suspension modifications and not even so much as a cold air intake... Claims it runs 10s this way. I want to race him to either shut him up completely or prove I can keep up with his 600hp monster.

I have on my 12 gt:
PTM jlt intake
Jon Lund tunes
JBA after cat h-pipe
Roush AB
Sr short shifter
Barton 2 post bracket
Ford racing LCA's
B&M panhard

I have a 01 lightning pushing 478rwhp/566tq (best 1/4 of 11.01 at 124mph) and butt dyno in the mustang tells me they are comparable in speed once the mustangs rpms get up there. Think I have a chance?
So he claims to have bored an engine that stock makes 350 crank HP to be 6.2L and make over 600 to the wheels? Naturally aspirated? who else wants to call BS I am pretty sure that engine stock was a 10:1 or close to that compression. Also the 6.2L corvette engines generally dump somewhere around 450 to 500 HP at the crank.

just saying...Dyno sheet or it isn't true.

Like to add, the only way corvettes are making over 600hp at the crank is by being supercharged...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Who in the hell has over 600 rwhp and has stock wheels! Even if he did have 600 I could beat him with a stock focus cuz he would never get traction lol! Sorry I don't like vettes and the people that drive them unless you drive a mustang too haha. You racing him in the lighting?
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
BS, there was a guy at the track last time i went with a C6 with an LS7 swap & cammed (i think maybe a little more). He was running 11s with some timing pulled so that it would run slower (on purpose).

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
So he claims to have bored an engine that stock makes 350 crank HP to be 6.2L and make over 600 to the wheels? Naturally aspirated? who else wants to call BS I am pretty sure that engine stock was a 10:1 or close to that compression. Also the 6.2L corvette engines generally dump somewhere around 450 to 500 HP at the crank.

just saying...Dyno sheet or it isn't true.

Like to add, the only way corvettes are making over 600hp at the crank is by being supercharged...
An LS7 with heads and cams probably puts almost 600 to the wheels.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
BS, there was a guy at the track last time i went with a C6 with an LS7 swap & cammed (i think maybe a little more). He was running 11s with some timing pulled so that it would run slower (on purpose).

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

An LS7 with heads and cams probably puts almost 600 to the wheels.
LS9 puts a little over 600 too the crank...with a supercharger...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
LS9 puts a little over 600 too the crank...with a supercharger...
LS engines accept mods so much better than Mustang engines though, its sad but its true..

HID end all thread
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You guys are all saying generally what I thought. I think I could take him in the stang but I am not wasting time to race him in the corn fed lightning (e85). I figure my car to be close to 390-400rwhp and I feel it's fast for what it is. It can't cut a 1.4 60ft. Like the lightning can, but it has half the torque also. I was hoping this guys v-tec wouldn't kick in and leave me wondering how his c6 was making 600rwhp naturally aspirated. I'm calling him out.. P***y convertible corvette owner haha.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LS engines accept mods so much better than Mustang engines though, its sad but its true..
I love the LS engines just hate vettes. I would love a LS engine in a caddi though that's for sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

I have on my 12 gt:
PTM jlt intake
Jon Lund tunes
JBA after cat h-pipe
Roush AB
Sr short shifter
Barton 2 post bracket
Ford racing LCA's
B&M panhard

Corvettes are fast, man. Just race him, and see how it goes.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
I love the LS engines just hate vettes. I would love a LS engine in a caddi though that's for sure.
I don't hate vettes, I just hate that the only people that usually drive them are either d-bags or so old they can't really drive them at all. Haha.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I love Vettes, i would trade a Mustang in for a Vette any day. They are sexy, sound awesome, and fast... But i do love Mustangs still, there is just something about corvettes that hits my sweet spot.

HID end all thread
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I love Vettes, i would trade a Mustang in for a Vette any day. They are sexy, sound awesome, and fast... But i do love Mustangs still, there is just something about corvettes that hits my sweet spot.
ehhh, their interiors are crappy. If they don't have a magnetic suspension then they ride like garbage. Also you will be fixing something on the car every month. They require a ton of maint. specially if you customize them.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ehhh, their interiors are crappy. If they don't have a magnetic suspension then they ride like garbage. Also you will be fixing something on the car every month. They require a ton of maint. specially if you customize them.
I drove a cammed 02 as a daily for almost 2 years. Leather interior with Bose speakers, and the view over the hood was eye sex. I never had any issues with the car, other than replacing regular things, like brake pads, alternator, et cetera. This car also had over 100k miles, and required no more maintenance than any other car.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Our 03 has less issues than my Mustang, and my Mustang has very little. The only thing we ever had to replace on the Corvette was the starter, thats it.

HID end all thread
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You guys are all saying generally what I thought. I think I could take him in the stang but I am not wasting time to race him in the corn fed lightning (e85). I figure my car to be close to 390-400rwhp and I feel it's fast for what it is. It can't cut a 1.4 60ft. Like the lightning can, but it has half the torque also. I was hoping this guys v-tec wouldn't kick in and leave me wondering how his c6 was making 600rwhp naturally aspirated. I'm calling him out.. P***y convertible corvette owner haha.
The stang's got this man I'm pumped for you! Race em leave him in the dust for us and all mustang owners lol
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post
I drove a cammed 02 as a daily for almost 2 years. Leather interior with Bose speakers, and the view over the hood was eye sex. I never had any issues with the car, other than replacing regular things, like brake pads, alternator, et cetera. This car also had over 100k miles, and required no more maintenance than any other car.
what I meant by that, was compare say the corvette and price tag to the dodge viper. The corvette interior for the price is terrible. You can get cars in similar price ranges with 10 times better interiors. The corvette always gets a bad rating on its interior. Not that it may not be nice compared to a lot of cars, but compared to cars in its class, it is terrible.

Quote:
Our 03 has less issues than my Mustang, and my Mustang has very little. The only thing we ever had to replace on the Corvette was the starter, thats it.
you are both lucky, there are a few other people on here who got rid of corvettes because of the constant need to fix them. It is well known that corvettes tend to break down a lot.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

what I meant by that, was compare say the corvette and price tag to the dodge viper. The corvette interior for the price is terrible. You can get cars in similar price ranges with 10 times better interiors. The corvette always gets a bad rating on its interior. Not that it may not be nice compared to a lot of cars, but compared to cars in its class, it is terrible.

you are both lucky, there are a few other people on here who got rid of corvettes because of the constant need to fix them. It is well known that corvettes tend to break down a lot.
+ f ing 1000000 you the man! Hate vettes IMO! Gotta love those engines though. Everything else is crap on the car too me! Sorry vettes but this is a FORD mustang forum lol !
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
+ f ing 1000000 you the man! Hate vettes IMO! Gotta love those engines though. Everything else is crap on the car too me! Sorry vettes but this is a FORD mustang forum lol !
Yes its a Mustang forum, but some other people do notice that there are other nice cars out there..... I will agree that mostly all Chevy interiors suck though lol. But i can't say that its well known that corvettes break down a lot because i never hear of corvettes breaking down a lot lol.

HID end all thread
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes its a Mustang forum, but some other people do notice that there are other nice cars out there..... I will agree that mostly all Chevy interiors suck though lol. But i can't say that its well known that corvettes break down a lot because i never hear of corvettes breaking down a lot lol.
Lol haha! I don't ether really but whatever.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I like the interior, but I agree that it's not the best in its class. I've honestly never heard of them as being problem cars. The LS motors are built well, so maybe people are having electrical issues. Either way, I look forward to the results of this race.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've had two of them POS. If it holds together, I think it will beat you, but I'd still make him prove it. If nothing else, break out the truck.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The Vette looks good and the LS motors are pretty good too, but the interior and the rest of the car is all cheap GM/ugly IMO. I call BS with 600hp claim with those mods. They are very light and fast, I saw a mildly modded C6 repeatedly beat a 11 GT500. Go for it, but don't underestimate the car.
WCatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post

I like the interior, but I agree that it's not the best in its class. I've honestly never heard of them as being problem cars. The LS motors are built well, so maybe people are having electrical issues. Either way, I look forward to the results of this race.
+1 I've heard of Chevys having electrical issues also.

HID end all thread
Old 03-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Corvetes use the same airconditioning knobs as my savana work van...... Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-979523619.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	97391
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
Corvetes use the same airconditioning knobs as my savana work van...... Lol
Yea seriously, that was my least favorite thing about the Vette the dated cheap interior... It uses the same dot matrix display like my old HHR... And they have the same style steering wheel too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-500430483.png
Views:	89
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	97409  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Yea seriously, that was my least favorite thing about the Vette the dated cheap interior... It uses the same dot matrix display like my old HHR... And they have the same style steering wheel too
Lmao too funny... Dont get me wrong I would love a 2007 or 2008 Black z06 i think they are beautiful cars and performance is incredible... Beats a GTR around a nurburing and it sounds real nice... The interior is the only part of the vehicle thats lacking
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I think it's going to be a good race. I've beat a couple vettes lately on the track. One of them was one of the new grand sport. I love the feeling of beating Chevy.
ShelbyGT500B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I sell Corvette restoration parts for a living and I don't even like them to be honest. I like the 62-76 cars and that's about it. The thing that kills me the most about Corvettes is that literally maybe 1 in 30 people that come in actually have some kind of performance mod on their Vette. Everyone wants it to be bone stock which me personally, I cannot stand. I also can't stand how 90% of them are driven by 65+ yr old men who top out at 65 on the highway. The damn thing is meant to be driven hard! Do it!

Granted I work at a restoration place, but we also offer the full GM performance parts catalog and we maybe sell something out of there once every 6 months.

The very few that come in that are modded (I can think of 5 off the top of my head and 3 of them are owned by the same person) are pretty fantastic and can lay some freakin rubber on the ground, but for the next 200 I see that are bone stock, it just totally turns me off to them.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

That interior is what we in the restoration industry call the "Plastic Fantastic"
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
I sell Corvette restoration parts for a living and I don't even like them to be honest. I like the 62-76 cars and that's about it. The thing that kills me the most about Corvettes is that literally maybe 1 in 30 people that come in actually have some kind of performance mod on their Vette. Everyone wants it to be bone stock which me personally, I cannot stand. I also can't stand how 90% of them are driven by 65+ yr old men who top out at 65 on the highway. The damn thing is meant to be driven hard! Do it!

Granted I work at a restoration place, but we also offer the full GM performance parts catalog and we maybe sell something out of there once every 6 months.

The very few that come in that are modded (I can think of 5 off the top of my head and 3 of them are owned by the same person) are pretty fantastic and can lay some freakin rubber on the ground, but for the next 200 I see that are bone stock, it just totally turns me off to them.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

That interior is what we in the restoration industry call the "Plastic Fantastic"
were you the guy in cincinnati?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post

Lmao the plastic fantastic.... I like that one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT