Finally Took The Coyote to the Dyno - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Finally Took The Coyote to the Dyno

Mods on the car are 4 or 5 revised Lund Tunes, Airaid CAI, and Borla S-Type Catback.

Mustang Dyno with weight calibration or some crap LOL

Car put down 428RWHP and 395 TQ with a 5th Gear Pull (1/1)

I know i know people are gonna say happy dyno, it was cold out, blah blah blah. Either way Lunds tune is spot on. If you want the max outta your tune data log your car, send in the results, and go back and forth till its perfect!

I cant get the video to show up on here so i got the link below.

2012 Ford Mustang GT/CS Dyno - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	97432  
Attached Files

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nice #'s, did you baseline it before the mods ?

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi View Post
Nice #'s, did you baseline it before the mods ?
Thanks! No never got it to the dyno stock.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Great numbers! Any more mods after this?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Region: California
There is some evidence out there that Mustangs register better numbers on loaded dynos like a Mustang dyno than dynojets. Speculation is that something in the engine management system cuts power when it senses no load. I and a few others have gotten better numbers on loaded dynos then on dynojets. That is the opposite of what you would expect. Wondering if anybody has had similar experiences. Your numbers are good but less impressive than your 60 ft and quarter times. Well done!
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Nice! Either way I'm sure she is a blast to drive.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
There is some evidence out there that Mustangs register better numbers on loaded dynos like a Mustang dyno than dynojets. Speculation is that something in the engine management system cuts power when it senses no load. I and a few others have gotten better numbers on loaded dynos then on dynojets. That is the opposite of what you would expect. Wondering if anybody has had similar experiences. Your numbers are good but less impressive than your 60 ft and quarter times. Well done!
I pulled 411HP and 394 torque on a dynojet. Your telling me my numbers would show higher on a mustang dyno? I don't care that much just the curiosity part.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good numbers, I am planning on doing a dyno run soon.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I want to take mine sometime to see what she'll do. I have a Steeda CAI, Boss mani, after cat xpipe w/ hushpowers and Bama tune. Any ideas as to what numbers I should expect?
WCatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Let me know if I'm out of line and should post as a new thread.

I'm curious about the whole dyno process. I've never done it before. How do you find a place to dyno test a car? How much can I expect to pay? Are there warning signs of a bad dyno shop? Characteristics to look for in a good shop? It seems worthwhile to do a baseline test before I do any modifications.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post

I'm curious about the whole dyno process. I've never done it before. How do you find a place to dyno test a car? How much can I expect to pay? Are there warning signs of a bad dyno shop? Characteristics to look for in a good shop? It seems worthwhile to do a baseline test before I do any modifications.
Just look for Speed or mustang shops in your area. Usually around 50 bucks for two pulls.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
People are going to say "happy dyno" because you don't have a baseline stock and the #s here are pretty high for your mod level. Not saying it isn't true but, people with full exhaust + tune/CAI are putting out # like these, more typically.

Your advice is really sound though; work with a tuner, give him/her good data and good results will come.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
People are going to say "happy dyno" because you don't have a baseline stock and the #s here are pretty high for your mod level. Not saying it isn't true but, people with full exhaust + tune/CAI are putting out # like these, more typically.

Your advice is really sound though; work with a tuner, give him/her good data and good results will come.
well I have wondered this myself. I might pick up Lund tunes here shortly just to have something for at the track or drag strip and maybe for those fun summer days and I thought about doing this with them and data logging to get the perfect tunes. I probably could do it with Bama too if I asked.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Bama will data log for sure. I had to do it to fine tune some small issues out of my first tunes. After the data log all problems were resolved and my car seemed healthier. If you want to data log for fine tuning just call them and they'll email you directions.
WCatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCatoe View Post
Bama will data log for sure. I had to do it to fine tune some small issues out of my first tunes. After the data log all problems were resolved and my car seemed healthier. If you want to data log for fine tuning just call them and they'll email you directions.
yeah I might do it. It drives fine and I really don't see any issues. I just thought about doing it to gain every possible ounce out of the tune. I just don't see a point if I pick up Lund tunes to run when I race in doing so. We'll see. Depends on how I feel about things coming up.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm not accusing anyone here of anything, or saying anybody is wrong... But here's something to keep in mind regarding mustang and other load based dynos: it is easier manipulate a load based dyno to get a higher hp reading, than it is to manipulate a dynojet.

Again, I'm not saying anyone is wrong or anything like that, but that's just something to keep in mind when considering a load based dyno.

Typically, a mustang dyno and other load based dynos read lower than a dynojet. I did my baseline dyno on a dynojet, and have no clue what I would get on a mustang dyno. It might be true that our mustangs dyno better on a load based dyno, I don't know. I just know that typically load based dynos read lower.

I have heard from a couple of shops that you can get a little more accurate tune on a load based dyno, due to the extra variables you can input. That might be why some mustangs read a little better on a mustang dyno after getting tuned on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post

If I was you, I would look for a reputable shop in your area, possibly one that deals with mustangs a lot. I would find one shop that you trust to do all your work, and only use their dyno. Or at the least, wherever you dyno your car for the first time, I would use that same shop for later dynos. That's really the only accurate way to compare your gains (by dynoing on the same dyno). You can go to one shop that uses a dynojet, and then go next door to another shop that uses the same exact type of dynojet, and you can still easily get readings that differ by 10+ rwhp. Heck, you can go to the same shop and dyno the next day, and get readings that differ. However, at least it's the same dyno, so there's less changed variables.

In my area, most shops charge between $75-$100 for 3 pulls.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Very impressive!
Defender Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT