LoJack or similar - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
LoJack or similar

I did a search for LoJack on here, and wasn't able to find anything fairly recent.

What do you guys run for theft protection?

I want something similar to LoJack, where you can track the vehicle if its stolen. Is LoJack the best one out there, or is there something better that you guys recommend? How about an aftermarket alarm with tracking capability?

Sorry about the noob question. I just never looked into anything like this before. I have a garage at home, and my parking at work is fairly secure. I live in a good neighborhood, and really 90% of wherever I go and park, its always a good part of town. So I never even gave LoJack much thought.

However, last week, my father's truck and trailer were stolen. He parked in a good part of town, and when he came back to it, it was gone... The cops recovered his trailer the next day about 6 miles away, but still nothing on the truck. That has really got me thinking into doing an aftermarket alarm and LoJack or something similar.

Any pointers what to look into, would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
LoJack is an excellent choice! It's discreet, and it works. My Mom has one on her Lincoln, and its really cool, she has a card and just has to call the number if it gets stolen.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My dad has LoJack. I highly recommend it. It has the ability to track vehicle speed and direction, it sends emails as it happens. Really cool!
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
LoJack is an excellent choice! It's discreet, and it works. My Mom has one on her Lincoln, and its really cool, she has a card and just has to call the number if it gets stolen.
+1

But... Their "guarantee" only promises to replace the cost of the LoJack if your car is jacked and not recovered!! But I did get one when I bought my stang.

Came with an optional pre-alert... Basically, I'll get a text message if my car is moved without a transponder on my keys near my car. So I'll know pretty quick is someone is stealing my girl.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Look into hagerty ins. If you had them, you wouldn't want the car found. Full coverage, no depreciation, and no deductable for $414 a year. Only draw back is that it can't be your only vehicle.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How much does that go for? It is monthly or what? I moved to an apartment where my insurance increased 400 a year bc car thefts. I will be bringing my car down next week but nervous it will be stolen and as a result don't feel like modding it for now.
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
A GPS alarm will text you when it is tripped and allow you to monitor the car remotely in real time. You can get Lojack and a GPS alarm for about $1,500 installed.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Considered LoJack when I bought the Shelby.
Remember reading " # 1 Recovery system ", as in ALREADY STOLEN.
.......What I bought..
www.ravelco.co
The car is disabled without the ( 16 ) male plug.
Can it still be stolen...............yes..................with a flatbed.........
........& it still can't be started..
Costs about the same as LoJack, they come to your house to install it.
.......................Good luck with your decision.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Question to those with LoJack or with knowledge of LoJack. I know on their website it says that they work with police, etc... It says that the transponder gives off a 3-5 mile radius signal once activated. Now, for the police to track it, does each cop have to put it in whatever they use to track it, or does it automatically alert them through their tracking device when they are near a LoJack transponder that's giving off a signal? The reason I ask that, is because here in south Florida, there are a TON of different agencies. There has to be at least 40 different agencies in the 3 counties. So it would be really hard if every single agency had to be notified one by one.

I really like the GPS that has been posted, where you can track it yourself in real time. However, I think it might just be easier, if any cop with LoJack equipment can be alerted, and it allows them to do their job without me having to be present with my GPS tracker software.

I also do like the ravelco that's been posted. I like the kill switch on it.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I will never have a kill switch on my car. Good for if the car gets stolen but absolutely terrifying if it were activated by accident.

Not that a lot of circumstances would come up but I can think of a few times in my life that had the car been remotely killed by accident my life wouldn't be how it is today.

I think OnStar does this too. No thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I will never have a kill switch on my car. Good for if the car gets stolen but absolutely terrifying if it were activated by accident.

Not that a lot of circumstances would come up but I can think of a few times in my life that had the car been remotely killed by accident my life wouldn't be how it is today.

I think OnStar does this too. No thanks.
There is no remote anything with this system. It's wired into you car & requires a special plug to start it. If you pull the plug out, the car turns off. NOBODY ELSE HAS THAT PLUG..

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If they want your car they will take it lojack or jackoff.... Ive red online about micro EMPs used to steal cars I dont no if its true tho... But it doesnt hurt to protect our babies
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
If they want your car they will take it lojack or jackoff.... Ive red online about micro EMPs used to steal cars I dont no if its true tho... But it doesnt hurt to protect our babies
No doubt about it. If they are pro's, they will steal it no matter what.

However, it will stop the amateurs. We had two mobile light towers stolen from my work this past summer. Luckily, one of our security guards, on his way to work, noticed that the truck pulling the light tower, wasn't one of our company vehicles. He called the cops, and because we had LoJack on the light towers, the cops were able to recover both, before the thieves got too far and had a chance to disable the LoJack.

For those that don't have a LoJack or other gps, what kind of aftermarket alarm do you use?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi View Post
There is no remote anything with this system. It's wired into you car & requires a special plug to start it. If you pull the plug out, the car turns off. NOBODY ELSE HAS THAT PLUG..
How much does that system go for?
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmag View Post

How much does that system go for?
Check ur local dealer but in Houston it's about $465.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
IF you don't live anywhere near the border, California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas, you don't need a LoJack. Unless you have a Mercedes, Ferrari or other top end car, you don't have to worry about stealing your car. Not enough money in hot parts or having it stolen and shipped to another country.

Get a good alarm that sounds off if your car doors are opened and a good motioned detector. Don't leave anything that people can see from walking by your car and looking in the windows. That means any holders for radar or portable GPS detectors should be placed in the trunk or console.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
That's funny

I would assume it's pretty much integrated into the car.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
IF you don't live anywhere near the border, California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas, you don't need a LoJack. Unless you have a Mercedes, Ferrari or other top end car, you don't have to worry about stealing your car. Not enough money in hot parts or having it stolen and shipped to another country.

Get a good alarm that sounds off if your car doors are opened and a good motioned detector. Don't leave anything that people can see from walking by your car and looking in the windows. That means any holders for radar or portable GPS detectors should be placed in the trunk or console.
I agree to an extent with the first part, but south Florida is also a big market for thieves. Lots of chop shops down here, and lots of sending parts to the Caribbean.

If you saw in my initial post, my father's truck and trailer (was attached to the truck), was stolen about 10 days ago. The cops found the trailer the next day, on the side of a road a few miles away from where it was stolen, but still no signs of the truck.

That is the reason I am looking into LoJack and the likes. We'll be putting it on all our vehicles and equipment.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post

I agree to an extent with the first part, but south Florida is also a big market for thieves. Lots of chop shops down here, and lots of sending parts to the Caribbean.

If you saw in my initial post, my father's truck and trailer (was attached to the truck), was stolen about 10 days ago. The cops found the trailer the next day, on the side of a road a few miles away from where it was stolen, but still no signs of the truck.

That is the reason I am looking into LoJack and the likes. We'll be putting it on all our vehicles and equipment.
Yes it is. LoJack seems to be pretty good.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #20

Region: Massachusetts
I work for LoJack and company bias aside I have it on my personal vehicle I think it's a great product. However NewMtang is right, it really depends on where you live. Cali, FL, Texas, etc.I would say you are taking a big risk not to have one. Here's the top 10 states here If anyone is interested let me know, I can put you in touch with my guy in sales who *may* be able to get you a discount. my email is jaleman (a) lojack.com
jasonthemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I believe lojack uses radio transmissions so its only good within a X radius and can not pinpoint the car exactly~ some dont like this and could not get their car back due to those limitations.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I believe lojack uses radio transmissions so its only good within a X radius and can not pinpoint the car exactly~ some dont like this and could not get their car back due to those limitations.
A neat part of working for LoJack, no matter what department, is that all new employees go on a test track where a test vehicle is stolen, brought to a random location, and then we go and find it with the police tracking computer. Once a signal is received, it's not 100% perfect but it's pretty much a done deal that the car will be found. A LoJack equipped car CAN be pin pointed to the exact location. A LoJack-equipped cruiser can pick up a LoJack signal from a vehicle 3-5 miles on the ground and more than 10 miles in the air if P.D. has it on their air units.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

A question for you Jason:

Does a cop have to be actively looking for your LoJack in order to get a signal, or does his tracking computer just have to be turned on, and it will automatically alert to any signals that are being given off in the police officer's vicinity?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post
A question for you Jason:

Does a cop have to be actively looking for your LoJack in order to get a signal, or does his tracking computer just have to be turned on, and it will automatically alert to any signals that are being given off in the police officer's vicinity?
Second option, the police tracking computer in the cruiser is always on, when a car is reported stolen the LoJack transponder on the stolen vehicle is automatically activated thus alerting the police tracking computer in the cruiser so police can track it. I hope that makes sense.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT