Ported headers question! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ported headers question!

How much HP gain should I see from ported heads and can I port my stock heads with a machine shop?
Also will it be good to swap cams and which would be best not to loose to much top or bottom end power?
No longer going FI so just waiting for cobra jet mani to stay n/a for now.
Any input will help.
Thanks
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Man that's an awful lot of work and money for such small gains. I mean if you're wanting to squeeze every n/a hp out you can then go for it. I've seen the CJ intake (which is designed for high rpms and drag racing btw, not road courses) net about 20 hp over the boss intake, but to get the full potential you've gotta wind it up to almost 8k. All of the work you're talking about doing is for higher rpm power, not the mid range that you would want to stay in on a road course.

But to answer your question, that would put you between ~500-520 to the wheels, for more than the price of a supercharger, and a smaller, higher rpm power band.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Man that's an awful lot of work and money for such small gains. I mean if you're wanting to squeeze every n/a hp out you can then go for it. I've seen the CJ intake (which is designed for high rpms and drag racing btw, not road courses) net about 20 hp over the boss intake, but to get the full potential you've gotta wind it up to almost 8k. All of the work you're talking about doing is for higher rpm power, not the mid range that you would want to stay in on a road course.
Thank, I really never get above 6k or so, in that case I will not be getting my money's worth
What form of FI do u recommend for road course/ some 1/4 every now and then?
It needs to run cool as in Miami the temp is crazyyy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Thank, I really never get above 6k or so, in that case I will not be getting my money's worth
What form of FI do u recommend for road course/ some 1/4 every now and then?
It needs to run cool as in Miami the temp is crazyyy
The coolest will definitely be centrifugal. Least prone to heat soak and just don't create as much heat in general. And since you'll be mostly in the 3-6k range you'll pretty much always be in boost.

Or you could go with rear mounted turbos.... If you have REALLY deep pockets lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

The coolest will definitely be centrifugal. Least prone to heat soak and just don't create as much heat in general. And since you'll be mostly in the 3-6k range you'll pretty much always be in boost.

Or you could go with rear mounted turbos.... If you have REALLY deep pockets lol
My buddy's c6 z51 has rear mounted turbos, but it is too much green for me since I am also in the process of getting a Rat Rod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT