New Shoes and a question...probably a stupid one - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
New Shoes and a question...probably a stupid one

So I just got my new shoes in today! RTR 19X9.5 rims with 285-35-19 Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and I LOVE them. I am amazed at how much they changed the ride. I also have my new shift knob coming in from speeddawg today too. Today has been a very merry christmas...in march...lol.

Now, Ohio weather is stupid and we have SNOW...AGAIN...so I put them on knowing I have a truck and the weather is supposed to get nicer over the next day or two and she really won't be driven until then. I also am off work until Sunday and plenty of food in the house . I will get more pictures come nicer weather! I still have to scrape all the wax paste off the plastic and make her presentable.

So anyway, my dumb question. I have the new rims and tires on, synced them, and what not. It says they are supposed to be put to MFG specifications. So even with aftermarket rims and tires I should put them to 32PSI like my door jam states? I assume this too be true since the car thinks they are supposed to be filled too 32 for the tire sensors too work. I did this already but incase I am wrong would like to know ahead of time and fill them up before driving her.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Program them to the tires psi. Sensor just reports the lower than normal pressure
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwandrewz View Post
Program them to the tires psi. Sensor just reports the lower than normal pressure
ok, how do I know what that PSI is? I lowered all four to 32PSI before syncing them, but the notes on the box from American Muscle stated that they were over inflated and that I was to put them to MFG standards before using. Is that Ford with the car or MT with the tires?
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Always go with the tires rating. Somewhere on the sidewall, you'll notice the recommended pressure.

For example, my tires call 50 psi...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Always go with the tires rating. Somewhere on the sidewall, you'll notice the recommended pressure.

I am starting to think you are beyond wrong inflating your tires to 50...read all of the below and it states to not do what you did...now this is for MT tires, but other MFG should be similar...

OK from MT website...

Quote:
PROPER INFLATION PRESSURE

Again, the pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure and not intended as a guide for normal inflation pressure. These things are dictated by the vehicles weight and use (ie: high speed). Always start with the vehicle manufacturer’s information on inflation pressures. With modified vehicles, or vehicles using tire sizes other than OE, it is valuable to understand the weight bias of the vehicle and intended use along with the maximum load capacity and inflation.

Always use a tire with a load carrying capacity that matches or exceeds the weight carrying capacity of the OE tire. With light truck tires and applications, the load capacity is more critical than the load range when choosing non OE sizes. Due to the reduced load capacity on P-metric tires, Mickey Thompson does not recommend their use on O.E. LT tire applications.

It is also important not to check tire pressure when the tires are hot after use. Over-inflation can produce a harsh ride, makes the tires susceptible to impact damage, and promotes faster than normal tread wear along with decreased traction performance. Under-inflation (or over-loading) will cause excessive heat build up which can lead to tire failure.
Quote:
TIRE INFLATION - NITROGEN

PLEASE READ!

Nitrogen inflation in tires is gaining popularity in the light vehicle (passenger and light truck) market. Nitrogen inflation in tires is not new to the tire industry however, and has been used under severe service conditions such as in large off-road tires, aircraft tires (as fire prevention) and racing tires for many years. Nitrogen inflation does not harm tires nor does it affect the warranty.

One of the most important factors in tire care is maintaining proper inflation pressure. The proper tire inflation for a vehicle is specified by the vehicle manufacturer and can usually be found on the tire placard (or sticker) attached to the vehicle door edge, door post, glove box door or fuel door as well as the vehicle owner’s manual. Proper tire inflation, whether nitrogen or normal air, helps tires wear longer, saves fuel and helps prevent accidents. Under inflation, regardless of the inflation gas, can make it harder to steer and stop your vehicle, result in loss of vehicle control, cause sudden tire destruction, and lead to serious injury or death.

Nitrogen inflation will not prevent damage or loss of inflation due to road hazards. Nitrogen inflation will also not prevent tire damage due to under inflation, overloading of off road service. Tire inflation should always be checked and adjusted to proper inflation pressure on a regular basis (at least monthly and before long trips), regardless of the inflation gas, to provide optimum tire performance.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
So I just got my new shoes in today! RTR 19X9.5 rims with 285-35-19 Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and I LOVE them. I am amazed at how much they changed the ride. I also have my new shift knob coming in from speeddawg today too. Today has been a very merry christmas...in march...lol.

Now, Ohio weather is stupid and we have SNOW...AGAIN...so I put them on knowing I have a truck and the weather is supposed to get nicer over the next day or two and she really won't be driven until then. I also am off work until Sunday and plenty of food in the house . I will get more pictures come nicer weather! I still have to scrape all the wax paste off the plastic and make her presentable.

So anyway, my dumb question. I have the new rims and tires on, synced them, and what not. It says they are supposed to be put to MFG specifications. So even with aftermarket rims and tires I should put them to 32PSI like my door jam states? I assume this too be true since the car thinks they are supposed to be filled too 32 for the tire sensors too work. I did this already but incase I am wrong would like to know ahead of time and fill them up before driving her.

Thanks!
Wait... So u actually have a truck?? Putting the poor Stang thru this crappy winter lol I won't judge!! Those wheels look great on Race Red!! I'm now considering all black wheels in the future
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Wait... So u actually have a truck?? Putting the poor Stang thru this crappy winter lol I won't judge!! Those wheels look great on Race Red!! I'm now considering all black wheels in the future
haha yes I still have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that I hardly drive. I actually lend it to my dad a lot of the time. I'll be honest I can't stand driving the truck anymore having the mustang and really only keep it because hauling things in the mustang is a PITA!

thank you sir! Yeah I debated for a long while, and I love your rims btw a lot, but I think I do prefer the all black look. If the rims you have came two toned with like the charcoal and gloss black I'd have probably gotten them! Plus now you can keep on thinking you are one of like 3 people in the world with those rims
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:

Thanks!
I would pack up your stang. The salt will kill those rims. It'll turn your rims a chalky color. I ruined a set I had in my edge when I lived in Ohio. I'm in Ohio visiting right now and I can't believe how much snow is on the ground?!
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I would pack up your stang. The salt will kill those rims. It'll turn your rims a chalky color. I ruined a set I had in my edge when I lived in Ohio. I'm in Ohio visiting right now and I can't believe how much snow is on the ground?!
well then they will get ruined lol. My mustang is driven 24/7 365 days a year regardless the weather. I drove 25 miles home last night through the snow. Plus since they are good rims they will get washed frequently to get the salt off them now. Not gonna do what I did with the others and let the salt sit in them for days and days at a time.

If I had purchased a Boss 302 I would treat the car differently. I didn't buy it to watch it sit in a garage 3-4 months out of the year. I purchased this car to drive it everyday!

but yes, we got destroyed with snow out of nowhere and it sucks and the funny part is except for over night the weather has been above freezing and the snow is still coming down and still sticking...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

well then they will get ruined lol. My mustang is driven 24/7 365 days a year regardless the weather. I drove 25 miles home last night through the snow. Plus since they are good rims they will get washed frequently to get the salt off them now. Not gonna do what I did with the others and let the salt sit in them for days and days at a time.

If I had purchased a Boss 302 I would treat the car differently. I didn't buy it to watch it sit in a garage 3-4 months out of the year. I purchased this car to drive it everyday!

but yes, we got destroyed with snow out of nowhere and it sucks and the funny part is except for over night the weather has been above freezing and the snow is still coming down and still sticking...
As long as you wash them frequently they'll be fine. Are you getting any salt damage on your paint so far? I might be moving back to Ohio, and I would probably do the same, except I would take my rims off during the winter.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As long as you wash them frequently they'll be fine. Are you getting any salt damage on your paint so far? I might be moving back to Ohio, and I would probably do the same, except I would take my rims off during the winter.
not at all, only part of the car that doesn't look amazing is the exhaust on the underside of the car. But who is to tell if those pipes would look good even just driving through the rain only. Also since they are not seen during car shows and normal driving I am not worried about them looking perfect. Yet again, if I had a car like the Boss 302 I wouldn't even drive it in the rain. I tend to be anal about the car and salt. I generally spray it down after a day or two and soon as the salt clears off the roads I get her washed at a drive through wash and soon as I can a full hand wash and wax at home. I have been using paste wax on her and I would bet that helps a lot. The paste wax seems to stay on there a lot longer than spray on and liquid waxs.

I am keeping the old rims but only to put winter tires on probably. I just drove her forward in the driveway and the back and the new MT street comp summer tires drive better in the snow than the Pirelli pzero nero all season tires do...lol...

What part of ohio are you maybe moving too?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

not at all, only part of the car that doesn't look amazing is the exhaust on the underside of the car. But who is to tell if those pipes would look good even just driving through the rain only. Also since they are not seen during car shows and normal driving I am not worried about them looking perfect. Yet again, if I had a car like the Boss 302 I wouldn't even drive it in the rain. I tend to be anal about the car and salt. I generally spray it down after a day or two and soon as the salt clears off the roads I get her washed at a drive through wash and soon as I can a full hand wash and wax at home. I have been using paste wax on her and I would bet that helps a lot. The paste wax seems to stay on there a lot longer than spray on and liquid waxs.

I am keeping the old rims but only to put winter tires on probably. I just drove her forward in the driveway and the back and the new MT street comp summer tires drive better in the snow than the Pirelli pzero nero all season tires do...lol...

What part of ohio are you maybe moving too?
Cinci/Dayton or Columbus, not sure yet.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cinci/Dayton or Columbus, not sure yet.
cool! If ya do let me know, maybe we can meet up at a car show or something.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
NICE wheels! The MTs look really aggressive. Counting down the days til mine get delivered.
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
NICE wheels! The MTs look really aggressive. Counting down the days til mine get delivered.
Thank you sir! I think they look really aggressive too! Only tires that personally I think look more aggressive are the BF Goodrich G-Force. I can already tell these tires are gonna be sticky in the summer. I just can't wait for the snow to go away so i can actually drive them!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

haha yes I still have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that I hardly drive. I actually lend it to my dad a lot of the time. I'll be honest I can't stand driving the truck anymore having the mustang and really only keep it because hauling things in the mustang is a PITA!

thank you sir! Yeah I debated for a long while, and I love your rims btw a lot, but I think I do prefer the all black look. If the rims you have came two toned with like the charcoal and gloss black I'd have probably gotten them! Plus now you can keep on thinking you are one of like 3 people in the world with those rims
Yea it does make me feel better that not many ppl have my wheels, but maybe I may consider all black with a gloss finish... But definitely do post pics when u get a chance on cleaning her up, from what I see the 9.5 width all around and ur ride height, ur car looks absolute beast!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea it does make me feel better that not many ppl have my wheels, but maybe I may consider all black with a gloss finish... But definitely do post pics when u get a chance on cleaning her up, from what I see the 9.5 width all around and ur ride height, ur car looks absolute beast!!
Do what ya wanna do man, your car and as long as your happy that is all that matters! I will get some pics hopefully in the next few days. Snow today, but by the end of the week supposed to be in the 50s. Roads are all clear currently, but the 36 degree temp is keeping the snow from sticking. Thanks man!! I was hoping it would look really aggressive!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am starting to think you are beyond wrong inflating your tires to 50...read all of the below and it states to not do what you did...now this is for MT tires, but other MFG should be similar...

OK from MT website...
Just because the tires call for 50 doesn't mean I inflate to 50. My preference is 38. Lower profile tires don't always go by Ford's recommendations. Lotta grey area, but to each his on...
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Never EVER fill the tires to what the sidewall says. That is the max pressure not the recommended pressure. This can cause a blow out. Air expands with heat and tires warm up when you drive your car, that will easily put you over the max and one good pothole or something like that could very easily blow out your tire... Not to mention you will very quickly get over inflation wear

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I believe that was covered. Maybe I'm misunderstood. If I led you you to believe I fill my tired to max pressure, then my bad.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Thanks!
Looks great man!!
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
Looks great man!!
Thanks! I see you have the same rims, how ya liking them?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks! I see you have the same rims, how ya liking them?
Love em! Meanest looking wheel IMO
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you sir! I think they look really aggressive too! Only tires that personally I think look more aggressive are the BF Goodrich G-Force. I can already tell these tires are gonna be sticky in the summer. I just can't wait for the snow to go away so i can actually drive them!

I have these in a 285 out back and I agree.....they look nasty mean and they are sticky.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What size tires did you go with in the front?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I believe he has a square setup

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #27

Region: Canada
I just got a new set of wheels from AM in January. Wasn't sure about the proper pressure, so I just emailed them and they recommended 36 to 38 psi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_092340.png
Views:	367
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	98464
brenroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus View Post
Don't know if that was directed towards me but my tire sizes are:

F: 255/35/20

R: 285/30/20
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus View Post
I have 285-35-19 on all four corners.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenroo View Post
I just got a new set of wheels from AM in January. Wasn't sure about the proper pressure, so I just emailed them and they recommended 36 to 38 psi.

Attachment 98464
thanks for the response! I'll might shoot MT an e-mail too along with AM and see what I can find out. The only thing about them being that high that concerns me is the MT have a max PSI of 40. So 38 seems to be along the lines of when the tires warm up I might breach that 40 PSI max level.

like your rims btw! Chrome looks sharp with the green.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #31

Region: Canada
Thanks
brenroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

thanks for the response! I'll might shoot MT an e-mail too along with AM and see what I can find out. The only thing about them being that high that concerns me is the MT have a max PSI of 40. So 38 seems to be along the lines of when the tires warm up I might breach that 40 PSI max level.

like your rims btw! Chrome looks sharp with the green.
If the max is 40psi, I'd start at 35psi and go from there. Adjust it by the way the tires wear, center wear is over inflation, outer wear is under inflation, not always but that's the basics. That tread design should do good in the snow.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

If the max is 40psi, I'd start at 35psi and go from there. Adjust it by the way the tires wear, center wear is over inflation, outer wear is under inflation, not always but that's the basics. That tread design should do good in the snow.
Yeah i might still have to play with it some. I actually am following MT website but it only says generally and not always that their tires do well set to car MFG specs. There is such a wide range of information on this.

They are really sticky to the touch with it being cold out com paired to my hard as steel feeling a/s pirellies and looks like they would dig in well. Probably do better than my bald pirellies. I'll find out today as I am going out shortly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT