Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer (11-14 GT) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer (11-14 GT)

Any thoughts on this? It's a new product on AM. No reviews yet.

Airaid Poweraid Mustang Throttle Body Spacer (11-14 GT) 450-638 - Free Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post

Airaid Poweraid Mustang Throttle Body Spacer (11-14 GT) 450-638 - Free Shipping!
Out of all the reviews Ive read it is a big paper weight and waste of money.
United States Army
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Any changes to the tb on the coyote is next to meaningless. Money would be better spent elsewhere

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see some dyno results for $199.99. No proven results on http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=450-638

Cheaper though.

Part # 450-638
Price: $139.99
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Use that $139 to buy some lcas or something, those really just aren't worth it

If you need assistance spending your money I'd be more than happy to help

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Region: North Carolina
TB spacers do nothing. There have been articles proving this. Essentially they would have to be about a foot long to function in the way they claim.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gtcs View Post
TB spacers do nothing. There have been articles proving this. Essentially they would have to be about a foot long to function in the way they claim.
I have also seen tests run where they actually reduced power because of the resistance they provide against the air.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post

Let me preface my comment by saying I ACTUALLY installed and throughly tested a spacer (although it was the SR performance brand on a 2013 GT). Its endlessly irritating when people post opinions without ever using the actual part. "Its a coaster", "I read an article"...blah blah.

The claims:
- Better MPG (1-2mph)
- Improved HP (around 10 is the avg claim)
- The "whistle"

The results:
4 months, 3000 miles...no other mods after initial installation.

- First of all the MPG did not improve - total wash. You never drive the same way twice, but after 4 months should be pretty good empirical data.
- The whistle sound is there, personally I like it and its very subtle.
- The best part is that it DID improve my low end torque (up to 2500 RPM) and improved 0-60 times. Its not a huge gain, but it was a noticeable improvement no doubt.

Previously I bought a larger throttle body and it didnt help 1 iota (nor any difference on a dyno), the spacer had more impact for a fraction of the price. A bigger TB is enhanced with an upgraded manifold or forced induction system...neither of which I have.

Its all about the combination of parts. The spacer is ONLY applicable on the stock TB and is enhanced greatly with a CAI. No tune necessary. For $120, its a cheap way for low down improvement....where you spend the majority of your time.

In the grand scheme, the best experience -biggest bang- IMO from mods are as follows: (while maintaining a good part of your factory warantee)

1. A Tune
2. Steeper Gears - Ford Racing (within reason, see below)
3. CAI
4. LCAs, strut tower brace, stickier tires (aka suspension and handling)
5. TBS
6. stop and enjoy

FYI...From the mouth of my Ford Service Center mgr: "If you let Ford install the gears, using the Ford brand....and its an option package gear for your model stang, it WILL be covered under warantee". (ask first at yours!). Installed elsewhere for cheaper....you are on your own.

With the above config (minus the gears, which are stock on mine) I have achieved 0-60 in under 4 secs. Dont over-mod under the hood!

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Let me preface my comment by saying I ACTUALLY installed and throughly tested a spacer (although it was the SR performance brand on a 2013 GT). Its endlessly irritating when people post opinions without ever using the actual part. "Its a coaster", "I read an article"...blah blah.

The claims:
- Better MPG (1-2mph)
- Improved HP (around 10 is the avg claim)
- The "whistle"

The results:
4 months, 3000 miles...no other mods after initial installation.

- First of all the MPG did not improve - total wash. You never drive the same way twice, but after 4 months should be pretty good empirical data.
- The whistle sound is there, personally I like it and its very subtle.
- The best part is that it DID improve my low end torque (up to 2500 RPM) and improved 0-60 times. Its not a huge gain, but it was a noticeable improvement no doubt.

Previously I bought a larger throttle body and it didnt help 1 iota (nor any difference on a dyno), the spacer had more impact for a fraction of the price. A bigger TB is enhanced with an upgraded manifold or forced induction system...neither of which I have.

Its all about the combination of parts. The spacer is ONLY applicable on the stock TB and is enhanced greatly with a CAI. No tune necessary. For $120, its a cheap way for low down improvement....where you spend the majority of your time.

In the grand scheme, the best experience -biggest bang- IMO from mods are as follows: (while maintaining a good part of your factory warantee)

1. A Tune
2. Steeper Gears - Ford Racing (within reason, see below)
3. CAI
4. LCAs, strut tower brace, stickier tires (aka suspension and handling)
5. TBS
6. stop and enjoy

FYI...From the mouth of my Ford Service Center mgr: "If you let Ford install the gears, using the Ford brand....and its an option package gear for your model stang, it WILL be covered under warantee". (ask first at yours!). Installed elsewhere for cheaper....you are on your own.

With the above config (minus the gears, which are stock on mine) I have achieved 0-60 in under 4 secs. Dont over-mod under the hood!

Hope this helps someone else.

+1, new owners myself included are just dying to slap bolt on parts for more power because that's why we have a muscle car right? It's great to have the power, do I want a tune, x pipe cat delete, headers, nos, E85 swap and forced induction, ABSOLUTELY!!! But you have to have the supporting mods to put it to the ground. I've had my car less than 3 weeks don't even have plates on it yet and I've spent around $1400 between Whiteline and MGW. Big HP is great on the dyno but you'll get spanked easily on the street!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I have the Poweraid TB spacer from Airaid and no complaints whatsoever. I actually installed mine to gain clearance for my nitrous and fuel solenoid bracket from Nitrous Outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	158968  
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Q View Post
+1, new owners myself included are just dying to slap bolt on parts for more power because that's why we have a muscle car right? It's great to have the power, do I want a tune, x pipe cat delete, headers, nos, E85 swap and forced induction, ABSOLUTELY!!! But you have to have the supporting mods to put it to the ground. I've had my car less than 3 weeks don't even have plates on it yet and I've spent around $1400 between Whiteline and MGW. Big HP is great on the dyno but you'll get spanked easily on the street!
Man...you and I are so similar, are we related?

Feel exactly the same, after a week on my previous 2014 V6. had gears, suspension, tires, tune, TB, CAI and a new Drive shaft. Something about these mustangs that you feel the NEED to upgrade the day after driving it off the lot. Maybe its because I drove Nissans for 10 years prior (kid friendly) and then said screw it to the family car thought process, its time for power!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post
I have the Poweraid TB spacer from Airaid and no complaints whatsoever. I actually installed mine to gain clearance for my nitrous and fuel solenoid bracket from Nitrous Outlet.
Nice. Did you notice any additional kick with the TBS around 2000-2500 RPM?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I can't really say that I have, but then again I've never attempted to do testing to confirm such either. I was simply in a spot where I needed to buy one in order to mount my nitrous and fuel solenoids on the a Nitrous Outlet bracket. Without it the solenoid bracket wouldn't have cleared the Y adapter in the cooling system.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post

How are you liking the kit from Nitrous Outlet? That's where I'm looking to order my nitrous kit from.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
How are you liking the kit from Nitrous Outlet? That's where I'm looking to order my nitrous kit from.
I absolutely love it. The solenoids are very robust and of very high quality. I would also recommend a 15# or 20# bottle over the standard 10# bottle. You won't have to refill it as often.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle body spacer is a paper weight nothing more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Throttle body spacer is a paper weight nothing more.

A paper weight that improves air flow and some low end power. Better 0-60 times and a little more tire spin (when wanted) are enough proof for me. 2013 GT, auto - at 450HP currently with minimal mods. Tune, TBS, CAI, LCAs, Strut Tower Brace....thats it. With a set of 3.55 ...maybe 3.73 gears, it will be absolutely beastly all the while keeping 90% of the factory warrantee intact

I like to filter out the blanket BS posts and try parts for myself I got a big fat zero gain upgrading my throttle body on the 2014 V6, but telling people its completely pointless would sound foolish - aka...blanket BS.

Spend time learning what mods to combine together for best performance. The more mods you add.... the law of zero sum gains come into play. I was one of those bolt on maniacs until wising up.

Hell take a stock GT, throw on only a super charger plus its required parts and you will EASILY blow away all the bolt on bettys. Some day
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A paper weight that improves air flow and some low end power. Better 0-60 times and a little more tire spin (when wanted) are enough proof for me. 2013 GT, auto - at 450HP currently with minimal mods. Tune, TBS, CAI, LCAs, Strut Tower Brace....thats it. With a set of 3.55 ...maybe 3.73 gears, it will be absolutely beastly all the while keeping 90% of the factory warrantee intact

I like to filter out the blanket BS posts and try parts for myself I got a big fat zero gain upgrading my throttle body on the 2014 V6, but telling people its completely pointless would sound foolish - aka...blanket BS.

Spend time learning what mods to combine together for best performance. The more mods you add.... the law of zero sum gains come into play. I was one of those bolt on maniacs until wising up.

Hell take a stock GT, throw on only a super charger plus its required parts and you will EASILY blow away all the bolt on bettys. Some day
Lmao. Hahaha ha. Your car is not making 450 with those mods. Verry verry happy dyno. And what you just said is complete BS.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

With those mods your car is not even at 400 at the tires bud.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With those mods your car is not even at 400 at the tires bud.

Someone please inform Ford that the SAE certified base 420 HP on a 2013 GT is incorrect. Rwhp vs crank HP. WOT.

Moving on....
Anyone have an actual experience with a TBS?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Someone please inform Ford that the SAE certified base 420 HP on a 2013 GT is incorrect. Rwhp vs crank HP. WOT.

Moving on....
Oh so we have another " gladiatoro" on here who talks in flywheel HP and not RWHP.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I know what works and does not work on these cars. In not just making **** up. Also your CAI is pointless with the mods you have also. Did you know that?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh so we have another " gladiatoro" on here who talks in flywheel HP and not RWHP.

Jezzus H. Christ... he does sound like toro...
Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Moving on....
And toro says "moving on" ALOT...
Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what works and does not work on these cars. In not just making **** up. Also your CAI is pointless with the mods you have also. Did you know that?

Lets sum up.....

TBS's are coasters...CAIs dont work....HP at the crank isnt relevant and Im like some dude named Toro apparently. May as well yank the tune while Im at it.

I configured my car based on advice from 2 sources. 1 being actual Ford Racing techs who have 15 years plus working and testing all model stangs (family ties). 2nd being a mainstay performance shop here in Phx that did the tune and were honest on which parts to add and which to avoid.

This all based on having no intention of super charging or voiding my entire warrantee (like an idiot). The car is financed.

My first stang I modded anything and everything, listening to every jack-wad "expert" (or toros) in forums such as these. The more parts I put on the less relevant they all became and the more issues they produced...it was frustrating.

The motor heads mentioned above (Im not an expert, hence why I went to them) stressed the right combination of mods, not the quantity and not getting hung up on HP numbers. My 0-60 hit under 4 secs --twice -with these minimal "pointless" mods all tuned as a unit. Ironic aint it? Lets agree you shouldn't be telling me what works and what doesnt on MY car and I wont do the same with YOURS....asinine x2.

I was hoping to get some real world experiences from other mustang GT owners and their particular mods by signing up for this forum.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Someone please inform Ford that the SAE certified base 420 HP on a 2013 GT is incorrect. Rwhp vs crank HP. WOT. Moving on.... Anyone have an actual experience with a TBS?
Crank HP doesn't mean squat once u start to mod. U have to take what companies rate a mods hp with a grain of salt the only real way to see what your hp #s are is to get on the dyno & that's rwhp. If you go around saying "oh with my mods I have xxx hp to the crank" that's only a guess while it might be close at the end of the day it's just a guess!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Crank HP doesn't mean squat once u start to mod. U have to take what companies rate a mods hp with a grain of salt the only real way to see what your hp #s are is to get on the dyno & that's rwhp. If you go around saying "oh with my mods I have xxx hp to the crank" that's only a guess while it might be close at the end of the day it's just a guess!

Totally agree with most of what you said. The gains claimed on any mod are typically for the most ideal conditions with a particular setup.

The only thing I care about on a dyno is if the mod I just put on improved that number. Its expensive however to get dyno'd after EVERY mod.

Some live and die by the dyno #'s, others by track times, others yet by drivability. Friends throw better dyno numbers at me, then I beat them at the track (I own the 1/4 mile, they own the mile run!). 0-60 is where the sweet spot is for me and where you spend the majority of your time. My last logical upgrade is going from 3.15 to 3.55 gears as a finish mod. What a blast that will be!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lets sum up.....

TBS's are coasters...CAIs dont work....HP at the crank isnt relevant and Im like some dude named Toro apparently. May as well yank the tune while Im at it.

I configured my car based on advice from 2 sources. 1 being actual Ford Racing techs who have 15 years plus working and testing all model stangs (family ties). 2nd being a mainstay performance shop here in Phx that did the tune and were honest on which parts to add and which to avoid.

This all based on having no intention of super charging or voiding my entire warrantee (like an idiot). The car is financed.

My first stang I modded anything and everything, listening to every jack-wad "expert" (or toros) in forums such as these. The more parts I put on the less relevant they all became and the more issues they produced...it was frustrating.

The motor heads mentioned above (Im not an expert, hence why I went to them) stressed the right combination of mods, not the quantity and not getting hung up on HP numbers. My 0-60 hit under 4 secs --twice -with these minimal "pointless" mods all tuned as a unit. Ironic aint it? Lets agree you shouldn't be telling me what works and what doesnt on MY car and I wont do the same with YOURS....asinine x2.

I was hoping to get some real world experiences from other mustang GT owners and their particular mods by signing up for this forum.
I have real experience. And the spacer and CAI at your mod level are completely useless. Your shop lied to you to make a quick $$.
I know what works. Only time a CAI is going to be beneficial is if you are heavily modded. My car is far from stock. I know what works. And most ford techs do not have a clue on what they are talking about when it comes to performance.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Also you voided your warranty as soon as you tuned the car.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yes this thread was about a pointless mod.
Any shop that recommends a throttle body spacer and a CAI, and days you won't gain by anything else other than a driveshaft, nitrous, blower, turbo, is completely stupid.
I'm sorry you got sold on that part by your " performance shop"

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT