Boss Manifold Vacuum leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
Boss Manifold Vacuum leak

OK, so I've read all the threads and talked to everyone I know. I am getting a P0420/30 error code and a rough idle after my boss manifold install. Ive had several re-tunes from steeda (through Stage 3 Motorsports). Everything kinda points towards a vacuum leak somewhere. I have taken it off and re-installed it with same results. A very rough idle, to the point sometimes it will stall and die. During install I realized that you cannot torque bolts down near as tight as the spec calls for, if you do the snap long before. Is this the problem? Who out there has been through this, any suggestions welcome.
JMDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Get better bolts then>? That doesns't sound right. Grab a section of tubing stick it in your ear and move it around the engine bay/intake. You WILL notice it when you get close!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Get better bolts then>? That doesns't sound right. Grab a section of tubing stick it in your ear and move it around the engine bay/intake. You WILL notice it when you get close!
I used both the bolts provided and the bolt from the old manifold after i snapped the new ones on the boss, they are both identical, no way to torque them to spec, cant believe im the only guy snapping these things off. i snapped one off hand tight not even cranking on it. the installed gaskets on the boss(and stock) look pretty weak, maybe use gasket sealer? I dunno, im a novice mechanic but refuse to let some mechanic screw me for something simple. I have listened and cant find a noticable leak, but still looking, thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
What is the torque specs you're going by? I know a couple of guys here were trying to torque them to 89 ft. lbs. it's supposed to be 89 in. lbs.

To be honest, I didn't torque mine. I just snugged them down. But I've been wrenching since I was strong enough to carry one.

Did you relocate the purge valve? Have you checked it?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a problem with a leak also but it wasnt on the intake, take a close look at your air tube, dont know what your running but I have the airaid cai and its made from cheap plastic that bends if you tighten clamps too much, and u cant see it unless u really inspect it...worth a try...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
What is the torque specs you're going by? I know a couple of guys here were trying to torque them to 89 ft. lbs. it's supposed to be 89 in. lbs.

To be honest, I didn't torque mine. I just snugged them down. But I've been wrenching since I was strong enough to carry one.

Really BIG +1^
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

I think you hit the nail on the head. The bolts shouldn't snap off like that even if there a little over tightened. Foot# and "#s is a world of difference. A little common sense goes a long way.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
i bought a boss intake sure i install the fuel rail with intake out of car or install intake and then fuel rail thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #9

Well thanks for all the suggestions, sorry I haven't replied, I have been away from the car for a while and havent had any time to work on her. Got back into it today and cannot find any vacuum leak, and I am only torquing 89 inches not ft (abut 7.9ft lbs). I have the Steeda intake and while it does not fit perfect I dont believe its leaking. Took it off and re-installed it a third time being even more meticulous than before, i just don't know. My tuner (steeda) says it has to be a vacuun leak or a more serious problem with the engine, but she rean like a champ prior to Boss install. It still idles rough and gives off the same P0420/P0430 Catalyst system efficiency below threshhold(b1)/(b2). I am planning on putting the old mani back on this weekend and hoping i can get the old car back. Might just have a really cool wall mount. I appreciate the help, just at a loss of ideas at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #10

sorry to revive this thread, but really have never found any resolution. No vacuum leaks, no tuning problems found(same tune on similar mods anyhow). Old(stock)mani works like a champ so I don't believe it's a install problem, i torque them to same spec. Anyone else have a good looking boss 302 wall mount. Runs like **** with Steeda tune(stage 3). Love both companies but...
Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Have you tried spraying small amounts of starting fluid or wd40 around the seal areas of the manifold? I used to use this method to find vacuum leaks. With the engine running spray small amounts and if you hear the idle change, that means it sucked in some of that spray and your leak would be in that area. Be sure your a/c is off.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Have you tried spraying small amounts of starting fluid or wd40 around the seal areas of the manifold? I used to use this method to find vacuum leaks. With the engine running spray small amounts and if you hear the idle change, that means it sucked in some of that spray and your leak would be in that area. Be sure your a/c is off.
They changed the formula for WD40, it no longer works. We used to use it to start nitro bikes is how we found out, it no longer works.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

They changed the formula for WD40, it no longer works. We used to use it to start nitro bikes is how we found out, it no longer works.
Dang. I better check the expiration date on my wd40! I was using that method a few weeks ago on my dads pick up! Lol
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'm having the same problem...

This is an old thread, but my problem is new. I have a 2013 GT that I recently swapped manifolds on. And yes, now it is giving me the P0420 code. Were there any advancements or solutions before I go tearing this things apart again???
Thanks
teabagsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

If your manifold is seated well with no broken bolts, I would check to make sure the MAF sensor is clean and clear and then check the throttle body to make sure it is opening properly if you are having an idle problem. The 0420 could just be your O2 sensors though.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I did not torque mine down either. I used common sense when tightening the mani. May be the tube slipping off?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I torqued mine properly, and am not having issue with rough idle. Sorry to be in two threads, but I saw this one and then wrote my own. Sounds like I'm going to have to take the thing apart again and just double check everything. Going to stock and then reload the tune too.
teabagsax is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT