Headers + Bama Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Headers + Bama Tune

I'm thinking about getting the CAI + SCT tuner combo (although I still haven't decided which one yet), and it made me start thinking about future mods.

I'd love to get some headers in the near future, and was wondering if anyone has used one of these Bama tunes for your car after headers. Is it worth it, and can they provide a tune for it? Should I just get it dyno-tuned after the install?

Lemme know!
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would go with the SCT

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_96 View Post
I would go with the SCT
And BBK headers
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post
I'm thinking about getting the CAI + SCT tuner combo (although I still haven't decided which one yet), and it made me start thinking about future mods.

I'd love to get some headers in the near future, and was wondering if anyone has used one of these Bama tunes for your car after headers. Is it worth it, and can they provide a tune for it? Should I just get it dyno-tuned after the install?

Lemme know!
yes they can tune for headers. I look at it this way, I dunno about other people. I love Bama for their tunes because with free tunes for life while I am still tweaking and changing and messing with the car I can get a new tune and be on my way. Once I get the car where I want her, then i'll get it dyno tuned.

I just don't see the point in paying a large amount of money for a dyno tune, then say switch out the intake manifold, and go pay that large amount, or another fee, to get her tuned again.

I guess it just depends on how you want to go about it.

Plus, while not the craziest and strongest mail order tunes on the market, when I got my car dynod the shop that did it couldn't believe it was a mail order tune. They thought I had the car dyno tuned already as the a/f was perfect and smooth and the tune itself was very smooth and clean and didn't "flatten" out in the upper RPM ranges like a lot of mailorder tunes do that they see. They mainly work on GM cars tho, so I dunno who offers them for those cars, but they said they are always terrible and bad and not worth buying.
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I went with the steeda cai cause I liked the looks of it the best and sct tuner from American muscle with the bama tune and I must say it was definitely worth it...and I also love the free tunes for life like he said...
20125.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
yes they can tune for headers. I look at it this way, I dunno about other people. I love Bama for their tunes because with free tunes for life while I am still tweaking and changing and messing with the car I can get a new tune and be on my way. Once I get the car where I want her, then i'll get it dyno tuned.

I just don't see the point in paying a large amount of money for a dyno tune, then say switch out the intake manifold, and go pay that large amount, or another fee, to get her tuned again.

Plus, while not the craziest and strongest mail order tunes on the market, when I got my car dynod the shop that did it couldn't believe it was a mail order tune. They thought I had the car dyno tuned already as the a/f was perfect and smooth and the tune itself was very smooth and clean and didn't "flatten" out in the upper RPM ranges like a lot of mailorder tunes do that they see. They mainly work on GM cars tho, so I dunno who offers them for those cars, but they said they are always terrible and bad and not worth buying.
Right on! I havent tuned yet but you pretty much made up my mind on who to get with. Since its my daily driver, I was reliable which I heard BAMA tunes are and more power of course which I also heard BAMA tunes provide. The free tunes for life is great like you had mentioned since most mustang guys are always tweaking.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Trust me, I'm all for staying away from those expensive dyno tunes. I don't see many header+tuner combos on American Muscle's site, though, and I just don't hear about anyone with a newer Mustang putting headers on it. It's good to know that they can send me a tune for them. I'll probably end up getting the CAI+Tuner combo, and then get my headers later, and have em send me the tune.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Trust me, I'm all for staying away from those expensive dyno tunes. I don't see many header+tuner combos on American Muscle's site, though, and I just don't hear about anyone with a newer Mustang putting headers on it. It's good to know that they can send me a tune for them. I'll probably end up getting the CAI+Tuner combo, and then get my headers later, and have em send me the tune.

Thanks for the info.
lotta people on here have long tube headers with BAMA tunes. What you won't ever see is anyone putting short tube headers on this car, mainly because the set it already has are perfect. Ford techs who built the 5.0 themselves have even said that putting different short tube headers on this car is a waste of money as you will not get better performance.

I have literally had 10-12 tune revisions from them. I have even had them do revised tunes for silly things, like when I got new rims and tires, I literally got revised tunes. Sent their form in, listed what size tires I had and what brand and they had new tunes to me before I got the new rims and tires in the mail no questions asked. That is one of their questions on their sheet is what size rims and tires.

Also have 5 different tune types from them, 93 street, 93 performance, 93race, 93 ghost cam, 93 hybrid.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lotta people on here have long tube headers with BAMA tunes. What you won't ever see is anyone putting short tube headers on this car, mainly because the set it already has are perfect. Ford techs who built the 5.0 themselves have even said that putting different short tube headers on this car is a waste of money as you will not get better performance.

I have literally had 10-12 tune revisions from them. I have even had them do revised tunes for silly things, like when I got new rims and tires, I literally got revised tunes. Sent their form in, listed what size tires I had and what brand and they had new tunes to me before I got the new rims and tires in the mail no questions asked. That is one of their questions on their sheet is what size rims and tires.

Also have 5 different tune types from them, 93 street, 93 performance, 93race, 93 ghost cam, 93 hybrid.
Are the long tubes worth getting, versus the stock shorties? Is the performance gain really noticeable?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are the long tubes worth getting, versus the stock shorties? Is the performance gain really noticeable?
I wish I had an answer for you that was from experience, all I can say is yes, specially when paired with removing the cats, but I don't have them yet. On my todo list but not there yet. Other stuff comes first.

Should be some other guys on here who can chime in that actually have them.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish I had an answer for you that was from experience, all I can say is yes, specially when paired with removing the cats, but I don't have them yet. On my todo list but not there yet. Other stuff comes first.

Should be some other guys on here who can chime in that actually have them.
Right on. Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Most of you guys are forgetting about data logging. Sure, you can dyno tune a vehicle to run the exact way you want at any variable you can think of, but you can get damn close using data logging also and having your tuner review them and make revisions. Most tunes you are sent are generally accepted safe tunes that could be tailored to just about any car so long as modifications are the constant. I had my procharged 98 f150 dyno tuned when I put the blow by system on it, and that's the last time I'll pay that much to have tuning done. Now days, any supercharger you buy comes with some what of a base tune that most tuners can fine tune and extract performance out of even further. .. None of which involves ever strapping the car down and plugging into a bunch of computer software. On the other hand, I'm all for dyno day. A dyno is a great tool, but it's tuning capabilities is not necessary for most applications you guys will put on your cars.

On the other hand, headers are only going to net you big gains if you have a power adder. Other than that you're just going to get a richer exhaust note and another addition to your mods list in your sig.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Most of you guys are forgetting about data logging. Sure, you can dyno tune a vehicle to run the exact way you want at any variable you can think of, but you can get damn close using data logging also and having your tuner review them and make revisions. Most tunes you are sent are generally accepted safe tunes that could be tailored to just about any car so long as modifications are the constant. I had my procharged 98 f150 dyno tuned when I put the blow by system on it, and that's the last time I'll pay that much to have tuning done. Now days, any supercharger you buy comes with some what of a base tune that most tuners can fine tune and extract performance out of even further. .. None of which involves ever strapping the car down and plugging into a bunch of computer software. On the other hand, I'm all for dyno day. A dyno is a great tool, but it's tuning capabilities is not necessary for most applications you guys will put on your cars.

On the other hand, headers are only going to net you big gains if you have a power adder. Other than that you're just going to get a richer exhaust note and another addition to your mods list in your sig.
Good stuff, regarding data logging. I'll definitely get to know what my tuner can do, if I decide to get one. I'm not sure what your idea of "big gains" is, but if I can actually feel a difference, then I'd say it's worth trying. People say headers give a noticeable power difference, and of course the tone would be much more muscly. Besides, I'd rather take care of all of the small stuff, and then add my choice of forced induction later on down the road.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good stuff, regarding data logging. I'll definitely get to know what my tuner can do, if I decide to get one. I'm not sure what your idea of "big gains" is, but if I can actually feel a difference, then I'd say it's worth trying. People say headers give a noticeable power difference, and of course the tone would be much more muscly. Besides, I'd rather take care of all of the small stuff, and then add my choice of forced induction later on down the road.
My idea of big gains are the gains that decrease 1/4 mile times significantly haha. I would say you could probably feel a difference when you add headers for sure, but most the difference would be in the tune. If you went from no tune and stock exhaust to long tubes, no cats, and axle back with a tune for it then it would feel like a completely different car. It just depends on your cup of tea.. Our cars can make 600rwhp with a completely stock exhaust and a bolt on supercharger with "relatively" safe boost.. And you could do that with 6k in most cases. Or, you could spend 2k easily on just an exhaust system and add on all types of bolts on for even more and then tune your car in for a whopping 440ish rwhp. 600rwhp could easily send these cars into the 10s and even closer to the single digits if set up properly with suspension and tires to race. All that could be said and done with out ever even touching the axle backs.. But lets be honest. We have mustangs and nobody runs stock exhaust on a mustang.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
My idea of big gains are the gains that decrease 1/4 mile times significantly haha. I would say you could probably feel a difference when you add headers for sure, but most the difference would be in the tune. If you went from no tune and stock exhaust to long tubes, no cats, and axle back with a tune for it then it would feel like a completely different car. It just depends on your cup of tea.. Our cars can make 600rwhp with a completely stock exhaust and a bolt on supercharger with "relatively" safe boost.. And you could do that with 6k in most cases. Or, you could spend 2k easily on just an exhaust system and add on all types of bolts on for even more and then tune your car in for a whopping 440ish rwhp. 600rwhp could easily send these cars into the 10s and even closer to the single digits if set up properly with suspension and tires to race. All that could be said and done with out ever even touching the axle backs.. But lets be honest. We have mustangs and nobody runs stock exhaust on a mustang.
I definitely see where you're coming from. In my case, I just feel safer doing bolt-ons, and not doing anything that could definitely void my warranty. My car has less than 1600 miles on it, so I'm saving the supercharger for much later. Until then, though, I'd like to do things to make the car my own, and improve the sound and power. So, that's why I thought cold-air intake & headers.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I definitely see where you're coming from. In my case, I just feel safer doing bolt-ons, and not doing anything that could definitely void my warranty. My car has less than 1600 miles on it, so I'm saving the supercharger for much later. Until then, though, I'd like to do things to make the car my own, and improve the sound and power. So, that's why I thought cold-air intake & headers.
CAI and a bama 93 race tune and as im sure you read on these forums it turns into a whole different animal. I would do that to start get use to that new found power and go from there. Guys usually do an off- road x pipe (more raspy) or an off-road h pipe (deeper more muscle car tone) to get some more power. Read up on the forums and youll find a ton of information
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Lemme know!
From what I have seen is that exhaust upgrades on these mustangs doesn't do as much as some other mods. For a complete exhaust you would spend like 2k. And gain like 20-30 whp. Ford did this exhaust very well. They just silenced it. You already have 1 3/4 headers. You think 1 7/8 gonna make a difference? If it were me I would spend 2k on more full n air in the engine. The exhaust will do it's job. Maybe cut the cats if you want it loud as a mother. I just got roush axle backs. Cut the resonators out. And it sounds BA. Get compliments all day long. At least one a day. From guys n girls alike. So to sum it up. Better ways to improve the performance then by exhaust.
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I am running 91 Hybrid tune from AM, BBK ceramic headers, off road x pipe and love them. You can feel a huge difference in acceleration with the headers and I'm just rolling the small 3.7. The 5.0's with this same set up has to be crazy awesome
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah

Headers are the best mod out there imo. You will def feel the difference.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah

There goes your warranty.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Headers are the best mod out there imo. You will def feel the difference.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

There goes your warranty.
And hear it too!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Gains come from removing the cats on these cars. They are a lot different than the previous years. You don't even need to tune for a OR mid pipe,it's just to turn off the CEL. Also,LTs vs OR mid pipe gains are debatable. Some guys will claim to gain the same with just a OR mid pipe as the guys with LTs.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckooo13 View Post
From what I have seen is that exhaust upgrades on these mustangs doesn't do as much as some other mods. For a complete exhaust you would spend like 2k. And gain like 20-30 whp. Ford did this exhaust very well. They just silenced it. You already have 1 3/4 headers. You think 1 7/8 gonna make a difference? If it were me I would spend 2k on more full n air in the engine. The exhaust will do it's job. Maybe cut the cats if you want it loud as a mother. I just got roush axle backs. Cut the resonators out. And it sounds BA. Get compliments all day long. At least one a day. From guys n girls alike. So to sum it up. Better ways to improve the performance then by exhaust.
I agree... to some extent. Ford engineers didn't leave much on the table to extract more HP out of the set-up. Just like the exhaust, it seems the same can be applied to an aftermarket CAI and throttle-body. Will upgrading these parts make any noticeable improvements? I'm sure in some areas, yes. Are these upgrades right for everyone? No... , but neither is opting for forced induction(ex.: added weight up front) or removing the OEM catted mid-pipe(ex.: emissions restrictions) for HP gains.

If I were you, I would wait until I clocked some more miles on the car before I did any kind of tuning... email or dyno. If you can get away with no emissions control, get an off-road mid-pipe. You'll get mixed answers, from me and others, on installing a CAI.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Gains come from removing the cats on these cars. They are a lot different than the previous years. You don't even need to tune for a OR mid pipe,it's just to turn off the CEL. Also,LTs vs OR mid pipe gains are debatable. Some guys will claim to gain the same with just a OR mid pipe as the guys with LTs.
Your still wrong on this. A tune is needed when removing cats. If not the car thinks they are there and will dump fuel down on them to cool them off killing your gas mileage. It is not just for the code.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Regular
Supporter

Good read......

SVTPerformance Plumbing 101 : Lethal Performance Offroad H & X-Pipe Test - SVTPerformance
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Your still wrong on this. A tune is needed when removing cats. If not the car thinks they are there and will dump fuel down on them to cool them off killing your gas mileage. It is not just for the code.
It dumps a very small amount which won't even be noticeable unless you are that concerned about fuel. I'm not saying I would run a OR mid pipe without the tune I'm just sayIng it's not 100% necessary.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I remember reading that... it was very good. I will say that it still left me questioning how much power was gained with just the off-road pipe and no power aid from the tune, though. Some say you gain about 10HP from an off-road pipe or cat-delete inserts.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That might change in a little bit... Kooks Custom Headers is releasing a 1-7/8" shorty headers, called Super Street.

Dyno Tested: Kooks Super Street Series Headers For 2011-Up Mustang - StangTV.com
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post

That might change in a little bit... Kooks Custom Headers is releasing a 1-7/8" shorty headers, called Super Street.

Dyno Tested: Kooks Super Street Series Headers For 2011-Up Mustang - StangTV.com
Be interested to see if they are worth it. The Ford guys were dead set that no shorty headers were worth it. Of course until someone installs them well not know for sure!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Be interested to see if they are worth it. The Ford guys were dead set that no shorty headers were worth it. Of course until someone installs them well not know for sure!
If these new headers can net me as much power as someone removing just their catalytic converters, they'll be worth it for me. HP/TQ gains without the need for a tune(or re-tuning), fiddling with O2 sensors, or emissions concerns is close to what I'm looking for.

I'll let you know how they do in a month or so...
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post

If these new headers can net me as much power as someone removing just their catalytic converters, they'll be worth it for me. HP/TQ gains without the need for a tune(or re-tuning), fiddling with O2 sensors, or emissions concerns is close to what I'm looking for.

I'll let you know how they do in a month or so...
Cool man! Look forward to hearing how it works out.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Go on Americanmuscle and they videos on the CAI an Tune with the performance.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't been on here in a bit, so I'll just make this a post to anyone who cares.

Thanks for all of the info. It definitely gives me more to think about. Apparently some people didn't realize that I'm not asking questions about the tune and CAI, I'm more worried about the headers. A lot of people covered on this, while others just wanted to see their name in this thread.

Anyway, thanks all! I'll probably leave the car alone until I decide to take it to the track, or be in the next Fast and Furious movie.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

EFI Live is the big dog for the Chevy tunes...They have some really great stuff to. They are killing it on the diesel trucks.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't been on here in a bit, so I'll just make this a post to anyone who cares.

Thanks for all of the info. It definitely gives me more to think about. Apparently some people didn't realize that I'm not asking questions about the tune and CAI, I'm more worried about the headers. A lot of people covered on this, while others just wanted to see their name in this thread.

Anyway, thanks all! I'll probably leave the car alone until I decide to take it to the track, or be in the next Fast and Furious movie.
I'm Stock except for a BAMA tuner, love the Street Tune & The Race tune at the drag strip. The car is plenty fast as is, I'm just going to concentrate on the basics of Borla Catbacks, A BAMA, and a pair of Drag Radials to put power to the ground, maybe later on ill do the Control Arms & Shocks.
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT