Coated Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Exclamation Coated Headers

Hey All,
As most of you know, I've been looking for some Kooks Long Tubes W/ Offroad X Pipe. I would have bought them already from AM but I've been looking to get them coated and there isn't many places by me to coat them. I know T304 SS isn't necessary to coat, but I want to coat them for durability and to help reduce heat. I stumbled upon MarylandSpeed.com and they are offering $140 off of their coating Depending on which brand you choose it could be free. Anyways, I'm looking at the 1 7/8" Kooks Headers W/ Off Road X-Pipe with the 2,000 Degree Flat Black Jet Hot Coating. Maryland Speed ships the headers to Jet Hot and then they are shipped to my house. What do you all think? Is this my best option to get them coated? I know they are a little more expensive, but it will ultimately save some money from having to ship them to Jet Hot once I get them. Thanks
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you really feel the necessity to coat them, I would send them out for coating. Jet-Hot and Calico Coatings are two coaters I can think of...
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004054 View Post
Hey All,
As most of you know, I've been looking for some Kooks Long Tubes W/ Offroad X Pipe. I would have bought them already from AM but I've been looking to get them coated and there isn't many places by me to coat them. I know T304 SS isn't necessary to coat, but I want to coat them for durability and to help reduce heat. I stumbled upon MarylandSpeed.com and they are offering $140 off of their coating Depending on which brand you choose it could be free. Anyways, I'm looking at the 1 7/8" Kooks Headers W/ Off Road X-Pipe with the 2,000 Degree Flat Black Jet Hot Coating. Maryland Speed ships the headers to Jet Hot and then they are shipped to my house. What do you all think? Is this my best option to get them coated? I know they are a little more expensive, but it will ultimately save some money from having to ship them to Jet Hot once I get them. Thanks
Have you thought of BBK CERAMIC headers. There coated already and have great reviews. They keep the heat down big time. I have them and love them
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004054 View Post
Hey All,
Or just get some high temp 2000 degree engine paint and spray em before you put em on
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I've see jet hot peel before and it looks like ****. It's not really necessary for your car but.......it's your car. I ordered Jet Hot on my Kooks for the 07 and backed out after I saw my friends car. She has a 1400whp SN95 and her Jet Hot peeled right off. Not saying yours will but it's something to think about.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I've see jet hot peel before and it looks like ****. It's not really necessary for your car but.......it's your car. I ordered Jet Hot on my Kooks for the 07 and backed out after I saw my friends car. She has a 1400whp SN95 and her Jet Hot peeled right off. Not saying yours will but it's something to think about.
Yeah I put duplicolors 2000 flat black paint on my GT mufflers and it never faded or peeled but then again the mufflers aren't nearly as hot as headers!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks for the input! I'll have to do a little more research on it and see how many people have trouble with the coatings.....
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post

Yeah I put duplicolors 2000 flat black paint on my GT mufflers and it never faded or peeled but then again the mufflers aren't nearly as hot as headers!
Sorry not duplicolor, rustoleum
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Jet-hot.com, paint will burn off in a matter of days or weeks at best. I've had no issues with their sterling finish. MY older BBK ceramic coated headers started to rust at welds & flanges after just a few years, but my Jet-Hot coated headers held up awesome, even on a turbo application.
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT