Learning on manual question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Okay well since I've always driven automatics all my life (20 years old)ha so I'm new to manual....., I want to get a 11+ 5.0 manual but my question is... (Might be a dumb question but I want to know before I get it), is it a good idea to learn manual on a brand new mustang? Will I damage something? Or should I get a different car to learn with then buy my mustang?
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Okay well since I've always driven automatics all my life (20 years old)ha so I'm new to manual....., I want to get a 11+ 5.0 manual but my question is... (Might be a dumb question but I want to know before I get it), is it a good idea to learn manual on a brand new mustang? Will I damage something? Or should I get a different car to learn with then buy my mustang?
I started driving manual cars when I was 15. I have owned 9 mustangs and countless other import cars. My 11 GT is absolutely the easiest manual I have ever driven. It's not a bad choice to learn with....as long as you save for a clutch in the next 4 months. You probably won't break anything but you will definitely burn through that clutch fast. Probably cheaper than buying a car just to learn to drive stick. IMO.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It's not that bad. Just learning to ease out in it while giving a little gas. Take it to an empty lot and do everything slow. Just let out on the clutch until it starts to move the car then give it very little gas. If you take your time, you will master it quick. Just practice and be easy.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If you learn on the stang your bound to burn rubber and kick on the traction control a few times. Mostly when starting the car on an incline. You'll get used too it though.

Glad you are choosing a manual
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I learned pretty fast how to drive a stick when I was 15. The hardest part is doing a hill start with someone riding your *** at a traffic light or stop sign OR having to parallel park on a hill. That's really the only time I ever even give it gas to get going. Having so much power on tap makes it real easy to start out in gear since you literally just have to feather the gas to keep it from stalling when letting out the clutch. I have an '06 which has easily 100 HP less than a new 5.0 and it is still the easiest manual car I have driven, especially compared to my '92 which had the stiffest clutch I have ever felt in a car.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
When I was in the marine corps I went with one of my buddies to buy an 07 GT, and it was a manual. He had never driven a manual, but he bought it, I drove it to base for him then we found a huge open parking lot and he learned right then and there. It was a little scary riding with him on open roads at first but he learned pretty quickly

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haha!

If my 5'2" 120# fiance can learn to drive a stick on an afternoon in my old fox body that was like doing a 100# leg press each shift, you should be able to learn very fast lol
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
It's not that bad. Just learning to ease out in it while giving a little gas. Take it to an empty lot and do everything slow. Just let out on the clutch until it starts to move the car then give it very little gas. If you take your time, you will master it quick. Just practice and be easy.
This is good advice! Having just taught my 16 yr old son on my old F-150 (his F-150 now) and starting to teach my 18 yr old daughter on my 07 Mustang, it has been easier for her than him. I told them you have to find that sweet spot when the car starts moving to ease into the gas. Learn on the Mustang, IMHO, you will learn quick and like having the control instead of letting the computer have it.
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I just bought a 13 gt standard and haven't really learn to drive it but I got it down after about a week. Just need to learn your shift points and your rpms got each gear. It's worth it I am having a blast. But do keep a spare 400.00 for a new clutch just in case
Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 2011 gt was my first manual car. I had been riding dirtbikes for years and my friend let me drive his 4 speed Toyota echo in a parking lot once but that was all the experience I had. That being said it took me about and hour to be able to just drive around town like a normal car. it takes a good year to be actually good at driving stick but man is it fun once you get there.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I learned on my 2012 gt. I stalled many times but in time it will become second nature. I knew I wanted a stick even though I only drove a jetta once. I am so happy I did. Just take your time in the beginning and you will have no problem. Don't let the cars behind you get you nervous when you stall or you will stall again. Go for it!
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had this same concern. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. So I'm setting some money aside for a new clutch, because I know i'll need it for sure.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't drive around with your foot on the pedal and you won't need a new clutch. I thought my ol lady to ride a Harley in an hour in a big parking lot. Leave it in 1st, practice taking off & stopping til you get good at it, then learn to grab another gear. If you can't learn to do it in an hr, you shouldn't be driving anything to start with.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Don't drive around with your foot on the pedal and you won't need a new clutch. I thought my ol lady to ride a Harley in an hour in a big parking lot. Leave it in 1st, practice taking off & stopping til you get good at it, then learn to grab another gear. If you can't learn to do it in an hr, you shouldn't be driving anything to start with.
Agreed. I learned how to drive manual with my '13 and my clutch feels as good as day one. If you have the basic concept down you won't harm the clutch too badly.

The best thing you can do is to just stay in first and practice starting over and over. Start, pull away, stop. Shifting up is pretty easy, just have to work on doing it smoothly. Once you can start successfully move on to hills. Even with hill assist they will mess you up because it will release when you aren't ready if you're too slow with the clutch and gas. When you eventually move on to roads just avoid hill starts if possible. A car coming up behind you will more than likely make you nervous as hell and you'll stall repeatedly.

I have 5500 miles under my belt now and it's cake. You will have the concept down in an hour for sure. Mastering it is something some people can do in twenty minutes and some people need more like months.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all your reply's guys, my friend's sister lended me her car 3 days ago, but only drove for like 15 mins just to know a little bit.I have to say it wasn't that hard, I didn't even stalled and I was able to shift without problems. I just wait until I get my mustang then
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post
I started driving manual cars when I was 15. I have owned 9 mustangs and countless other import cars. My 11 GT is absolutely the easiest manual I have ever driven. It's not a bad choice to learn with....as long as you save for a clutch in the next 4 months. You probably won't break anything but you will definitely burn through that clutch fast. Probably cheaper than buying a car just to learn to drive stick. IMO.
I have to agree, this mustang would be easier to learn to drive manual then any import I have ever driven...I plan on teaching my wife how to drive mine even though I don't want her driving my baby...I promised her I would teach her, it was a stipulation of buying the car
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Learned on my 14 gt. my biggest thing was revving to high to get into first since you just tap the gas pedal and it revs to the moon. When it starts to grab slowly and gently apply some gas and then it's cake. Or rev to 4k and dump your clutch that's always fun
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT