Roush Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Roush Exhaust

Installed my Roush axle back exhaust in 25 minutes. Very easy on a new car. Wow, this exhaust is friggin badass! Not much drone on the highway or back road driving which is nice, but you hit 4k RPMs and holy wow this thing comes to life! At 6k on the tach, it sounds like a stock car! Love it!
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
They sound pretty good IMO.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
NOW, add the Boss 302 side pipes and join the realm of Those Who Sound Awesome.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
NOW, add the Boss 302 side pipes and join the realm of Those Who Sound Awesome.
Man I'm really curious about adding those side pipes with my Borla S axle backs!! I'm really not wanting to touch my headers or mess with the cats anytime soon... Would u happen to have any video clips with your setup??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Man I'm really curious about adding those side pipes with my Borla S axle backs!! I'm really not wanting to touch my headers or mess with the cats anytime soon... Would u happen to have any video clips with your setup??
it is gonna add back in that higher freq. sound that the Borlas lack. You can get a rough idea of sound if you remove just one borla muffler and run the car and rev it. Will sound a lot the same.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

it is gonna add back in that higher freq. sound that the Borlas lack. You can get a rough idea of sound if you remove just one borla muffler and run the car and rev it. Will sound a lot the same.
True and more so if ur catless.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you love it! I installed mine two weeks ago and cant stop smiling when I drive. My buddy has GT500 axlebacks on his 5.0 and while they sound good, the roush sounds amazing in comparison
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

After seeing this thread and other, I'm tempted to go ahead and order a set even though I won't have the car for another week or so.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish
After seeing this thread and other, I'm tempted to go ahead and order a set even though I won't have the car for another week or so.
You won't regret it. Idk how they sound without cats, but with them the sound is hard to beat.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Very cool! I'm leaving the cats on.

Thanks,

Nikki
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I don't plan on modding anything else on the exhaust. I live in New Jersey and taking the cats off is asking for trouble with inspection. Besides, I'm not sure that removing the cats would void the warranty. The Roush exhaust sounds sick as is. Love mine. Talk about turning heads on the road. Had some dude roll his window down last night and say he thought my car was just sick.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Roush all the way! I hear some folks say they are raspy but I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely love mine. And like has been said the higher the Tach, the better they sound!!
351CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It's the best sounding exhaust with cats, without cats it's great but a little too unrefined

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quick question - what's the sound like at idle? I go to work around 5am and don't want to piss off my neighbors. I saw a couple of reviews on American Muscle by people saying it was pretty loud even at idle.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

They are a little loud on cold start up but just for a few seconds.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm - I guess I need to find someone in my area so I can check out the sound.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Quick question - what's the sound like at idle? I go to work around 5am and don't want to piss off my neighbors. I saw a couple of reviews on American Muscle by people saying it was pretty loud even at idle.

Thanks
Its not very loud at idle, just a nice deep tone, however, On cold starts it gets pretty darn loud so you might have some unhappy neighbors. I know some of my neighbors are very unhappy with me leaving at 6 in the morning.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk stang View Post

Its not very loud at idle, just a nice deep tone, however, On cold starts it gets pretty darn loud so you might have some unhappy neighbors. I know some of my neighbors are very unhappy with me leaving at 6 in the morning.
Should try removing the cats . You think they are unhappy now.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
My phone doesn't pick the audio up very well ... but when I researched I found clips of Boss 302's with Roush and other aftermarket axle-backs installed and the sound is very, very similar.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My phone doesn't pick the audio up very well ... but when I researched I found clips of Boss 302's with Roush and other aftermarket axle-backs installed and the sound is very, very similar.
yeah but unless it is the Borlas you really cannot compare. I don't joke on here when I say you have to hear them in person to understand. No video has ever done them justice. They just miss that higher freq sound that the roush and many others have.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
yeah but unless it is the Borlas you really cannot compare. I don't joke on here when I say you have to hear them in person to understand. No video has ever done them justice. They just miss that higher freq sound that the roush and many others have.
Well, this does sound pretty good ... but you're right a lot of videos don't do exhausts justice.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, this does sound pretty good ... but you're right a lot of videos don't do exhausts justice.

That is actually a good video! Just kinda hard to tell what is gained with the boss side exhaust. Still love me some.borlas.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Hmmm - I guess I need to find someone in my area so I can check out the sound.

Thanks!
A wise thought. I had a set on for all of 1 hour (single ride). They were in my opinion, obnoxious loud! My friend had a set of straight pipes (muffler delete) type axle backs. The Roush was no different in sound to his, and he paid a couple of hundred less.

So, if you want loud, you might want to consider buying the straight pipe axle backs (no muffler). I believe the round looking muffler on the Roush are there for looks, as they do nothing for sound "muffling"!

I drive way too much on the highway (600 miles a week) to go with the Roush. They are attention getters for sure! I just did not need to grab the attention of the police that patrol the highways.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I actually don't find the Roush to be loud at cruise on the highway. I'm 32 years old and I fly jets filled with passengers for a career, so I have to watch what I do. I set cruise control at 70 on the highway and there's very little drone noticeable. Accelerating through the gears though, if you run it above 3k rpm, it is loud.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. Until you hear anything in person it'll be hard to decide. As I said earlier I LOVE my ROUSH!! If anyone knows what a Mustang should sound like I think its Jack. Lol. Under normal acceleration they really aren't bad. But when you want "BAD" you've got it under your right foot!! Good luck!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Behold, the great end product of a full exhaust with roush.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
Installed my Roush axle back exhaust in 25 minutes. Very easy on a new car. Wow, this exhaust is friggin badass! Not much drone on the highway or back road driving which is nice, but you hit 4k RPMs and holy wow this thing comes to life! At 6k on the tach, it sounds like a stock car! Love it!
Glad to hear you didn't drop the stock exhaust on your head like I did when installing. Man those f*ckers are heavier than I thought.

Roush AB is incredible. Love the sound.
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian View Post

Glad to hear you didn't drop the stock exhaust on your head like I did when installing. Man those f*ckers are heavier than I thought.

Roush AB is incredible. Love the sound.
Been around race cars my whole life. My Dad was crew Chief for a local dirt modified driver when I was growing up. At 18 I started racing, turning wrenches on the car every week. At 20 I was an ASE level I tech at a local garage before I joined the military. So needless to say, I didn't mess around. I had to do it quick too because I had to be somewhere an hour after my exhaust was delivered. Couldn't wait to get that bad boy on there!

The only PITA I had to deal with was taking off the rear swaybar support on the left side. Couldn't slide the new muffler in the supports with the swaybar link in the way. And yes, those stock mufflers are a damn beast.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I actually unbolted the hangers from the frame. Made it ALOT easier!!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351CJ
I actually unbolted the hangers from the frame. Made it ALOT easier!!
+1
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust